Possible clogged cat? Starting to clog?

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, My car has been running fine since I got it in december of '10, just took it on two 400 mile round trips Sunday and Monday. I have noticed over the past week or so that it was cranking for longer than usual at startup. It would crank for maybe a second or so, wheras before, light-off was almost instantaneous. Today, I took it out for a spin to grab some lunch and noticed that it felt down on power in the lower-RPM range. Then it started with an occasional loud pop (sounded like a backfire) under moderate throttle in the higher gears (high engine load). Once it warmed up it was fine, and was also fine on the return trip. Does this sound like a Cat that is starting to clog up?

Thanks!

:usa: Nick :usa:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a clogged cat can come and go, a plugged fuel filter can come and go, any codes being thrown? fuelpump can come and go... bad coil can come and go

OP
OP
V

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no codes were thrown at all. Just about to turn 60k, it has been around 20k now since plugs and wires were changed, I will try that first. The only other thing leading my down the road of a clogged cat is that there is a raspy sound coming out of just the drivers side exhaust pipe at idle, sounds like something might be rattling around in there.

Thanks!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can get the use of an Infrared camera, you will be able to tell very accuarately by taking temps of both rear exhaust outlets and the exit from the both collectors.

OP
OP
V

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great idea! I don't have an IR Camera, but I do have an IR thermometer, which should work just as well. Thanks Jack.