Gen 5 spotted!

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That fender gap looks awful

I'm not sure if I read this wrong, but to me the clamshell gap is pretty good to the fender. Designing a clamshell, considering overslam and build tolerances, it's not bad at all. The Gen 2 clamshell gap was sort of disguised since being a feature line above the rocker, but the Gen 5 clamshell it's much more apparent because of the split line location to the rocker panel and fascia.

Cheers,
Mike

PS.. and better than the Ford GT, which many didn't seem to complain about since being a low volume car. There's advantages and disadvantages with designing clamshell closures, and again I think the Gen 5 looks good.

You must be registered for see images

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Looks great in blue, lowered a bit. Best looking Viper ever, in my opinion.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second Vic that the Gen V is the best looking viper ever.

but in the pic with the gen IV ACR at that angle, I think the ACR looks better.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen V rear looks much better in these pics. The SRT coupe looks like it was done by some aftermarket company for SEMA. The rear never made sense. The Gen V looks like **** when it sits like a 4X4, but once it's lowered it has that nice exotic stance.

c65491

Viper Owner
Reaction score
anyone knows the price yet? i just sold mine (coupe 08) in order to be ready for GEN V. blue looks amazing

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely agree. In that pic, the ACR steals the show, for sure.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that looks way better! :drive:

Thx..That height wouldn't work in New York lol but it sure looks good...

Since SRT is so keen on making this Viper uber customizable from the factory maybe they will offer custom suspension setups for those that want a lower ride height. They can have packages with adjusted camber etc for the height wanted by the customer...Those that like it SUV style could just get it that way as it seems that the ride height will be default suv-ish compared to the competitions ride height....Just a thought.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes. It used Gen II tail lights that didn't match the rest of the car. The trunk lines soiled the rear with huge panel gaps. The fenders wrapped around the tail light awkwardly. The whole design looked like an afterthought, because it was. If you remember, there were no set plans for a coupe. Then out of the blue they put something together for the VOI. It never looks right.

My thoughts have been confirmed by friends who aren't car fanatics. The gen III/IV was not popular outside of the Viper lovers group. It's straight lines gave it a very boring look. My dad had an SRT and a GTS, each in their prime. The SRT got 1/100th the attention that the GTS got.

PS. I still like the Gen III/IV, especially the ACR. But it's never given me goose bumps driving down the road. I think a Corvette ZR1 looks meaner on the street than the SRT Coupe.

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive a Gen 4, especially an ACR down the road and it will draw far more attention than just about any Corvette on the road, even the ZR1.

What an abomination of a car!

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the Gen III came out, the passions on the site came to the point where the moderators had to step in, set some rules and as a result, I left for a lot of years. I left, not because of the change of design between the Gen II and the Gen III, but because people could not discuss what happened to the design without personal attacks. As I recall, the Chrsyler Gen III designer called the Gen I & II, a "clown shoe" design. Even within Chrysler there was a lot of dialog about the new direction of the Gen III and was it right for the Viper. I believe the guy who designed the Audi TT was head of Chrysler design at the time and chose the design theme for the Gen III from various proposals, (he's with Ford now) and the actual exterior designer was from Toyota. A book I had at one time shows a wall of sketches from which the Gen III was chosen. One of those sketches is definately a Gen III evolution of the Gen II (not chosen).

Ralph has chosen to return to the Gen I/II roots for the Gen V car, and has done a magnificant job of evolving the Gen I/II design into what IMHO will become a classic.

When the GTS-R street version comes out, IMHO, it will be a sufficient beast to satisfy everyone. There's a thread here showing the GTS-R show car being driven on the street at LeMans. Check it out for what the GTS-R street version could look like.

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive a Gen 4, especially an ACR down the road and it will draw far more attention than just about any Corvette on the road, even the ZR1.

What an abomination of a car!

Touche! I have never seen a Viper that I didn't think was gorgeous. I personally like the Gen III-IV coupe the best but have yet to see the Gen V in person. But then again looks are subjective. It is amazing when people try to back up their claim with how someone else backed up their opinion. Just like women, some prefer blondes, some brunettes and then others redheads. To each their own.

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. It used Gen II tail lights that didn't match the rest of the car. The trunk lines soiled the rear with huge panel gaps. The fenders wrapped around the tail light awkwardly. The whole design looked like an afterthought, because it was. If you remember, there were no set plans for a coupe. Then out of the blue they put something together for the VOI. It never looks right.

My thoughts have been confirmed by friends who aren't car fanatics. The gen III/IV was not popular outside of the Viper lovers group. It's straight lines gave it a very boring look. My dad had an SRT and a GTS, each in their prime. The SRT got 1/100th the attention that the GTS got.

PS. I still like the Gen III/IV, especially the ACR. But it's never given me goose bumps driving down the road. I think a Corvette ZR1 looks meaner on the street than the SRT Coupe.

Once I decided I wanted a Viper I scrutinized every generation because looks were an important factor for me. After close examination of each generation side-by-side I landed on the gen IV specifically because I loved the look of the rear and angled vents (straight lines?). I don’t like the gen III / IV roadsters at all because of the rear - they have a very non-aggressive look IMO. The gen II was a close second to the gen IV in the looks department for me. Oddly enough, the wing on the gen IV ACR is too much for me and ruins the look of the car IMO but I think I’m an outlier there. This only proves looks are very subjective and to each his own.

Also, didn’t every generation of viper use the same tail lights?

Touche! I have never seen a Viper that I didn't think was gorgeous. I personally like the Gen III-IV coupe the best but have yet to see the Gen V in person. But then again looks are subjective. It is amazing when people try to back up their claim with how someone else backed up their opinion. Just like women, some prefer blondes, some brunettes and then others redheads. To each their own.

+1 :2tu:

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have ANY photos of a GTS Blue, please don't hold out on me. I look every day to see them, and would love to see how my next Viper is going to look. Thank you!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Viper needs lowered so bad.

Government regulations mandate a minimum ride height. If they designed the body aesthetics to close whatever gap it is that annoys you it would look like rice when Viper owners lowered it for tracking. I suspect anyway.

I'm with George. I don't know what the big deal is about wheel gap.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats that in front of the ACR...an Aston?. The ACR definatly outshines. Build the GTSR looking Gen V ACR and save the day SRT.

Ah but if that was a track pak infront, it would be a fair comparison then.

Or we need to change the acr to a reg gen 4 coupe.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still not sure what that piece of tongue hanging on the back of the window from the dubble bubble top is for. Maybe hanging its tongue out at the rest of the cars...I donno. They must have had some extra money left over and thought....hey....I know !! Put the money there. Carbon fibre the rear tailight area. Great idea !! Put the money there. LED lights !! Put the money there !! Don't put the money in some extra HP or anything...Nah !! nobody would want that, but , those pieces...Oh Ya !! for sure !! 18 speaker sysytem !! Oh ya, put the money there. Chnage to the Perelli tires, oh ya...now we only have to pay 4000+ for new tires in that size when needed...etc...etc

Gen 4 ACR in every angle would look better than the Gen 5. Lowering the car does not do anything either. At 137,000 estimated for the options they are flaundering us with on the GTS....hmm..That makes it more of a DOH !! I think I'll get one !

Can't please everyone I guess...or was that thier LOGO...hmmm...anyway.....just IMO

cpperhead1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah i kinda agree add in the taxes in Canada and its a $155 K outlay
Chrysler better at selling Fiats than exotics
I will stick with my Gen 4 ACR personally until I see a Gen 5 ACR !
LOL

Ev0lv3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know these were posted on here somewhere.. but I can't find them. So I'll post them cause I saved em.

You must be registered for see images attach

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still not sure what that piece of tongue hanging on the back of the window from the dubble bubble top is for. Maybe hanging its tongue out at the rest of the cars...I donno. They must have had some extra money left over and thought....hey....I know !! Put the money there. Carbon fibre the rear tailight area. Great idea !! Put the money there. LED lights !! Put the money there !! Don't put the money in some extra HP or anything...Nah !! nobody would want that, but , those pieces...Oh Ya !! for sure !! 18 speaker sysytem !! Oh ya, put the money there. Chnage to the Perelli tires, oh ya...now we only have to pay 4000+ for new tires in that size when needed...etc...etc

Gen 4 ACR in every angle would look better than the Gen 5. Lowering the car does not do anything either. At 137,000 estimated for the options they are flaundering us with on the GTS....hmm..That makes it more of a DOH !! I think I'll get one !

Can't please everyone I guess...or was that thier LOGO...hmmm...anyway.....just IMO

I can agree with some of the things you said. The 18 speaker system is totally unnessary as well as a weight gainer to the Viper. Such a small cabin doesn't need that many speakers at all...The "tongue" [lol] on the roof into the rear glass would have looked better if it was more seemlessly integrated instead of just looking like it is pasted on at the last minute. I like the idea and the look they were going for but its not seamless. Ah the LED's. Ive said and read enough against them. Looks like it will stay despite many not liking it.

But in SRT's defence the Perelli change was probably due to Fiat using them on Ferraris etc and probably out of their hands.

Lowereing the gen 5 adds some meaness to its stance that the stock SUV ride height cant accomplish. I still dont like the front end treatment. Its my only real hang up with this redesign. Overall Ive grown to like the car more especially after seeing it at the autoshow up close and personal. I cant afford one anyway so Im not who Fiat/SRT is targeting. I suspect it will sell well as it seems it appeals to more people moreso than previous gens from responses Ive seen from many forums. And that is the bottomline at Fiat.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put me in the camp with those who don't see the importance of a lowered Viper which will be driven on the street. I have plenty of Viper miles and have been in many traffic situations where I had no choice but to attempt to straddle road debris. Try driving the Detroit freeways sometime in heavy traffic at a legal 70MPH (nobody drives that slow) with a lowered car. SRT know's what they are doing.

Bill