Is there a way to tell what production order number your car is by the VIN ? ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3 other cars where I know EXACTLY what production order number the vehicle was by the VIN ... a Syclone (#512) , Turbo Trans Am (#5) , and a Harley Davidson Truck (#577).

Are our cars VIN'd by production order number, or is there a place to look to see what number our cars are for the year they were produced?

I saw a page that said how MANY of each COLOR was made PER YEAR , but thats it.

I have a 2001 GTS.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
The 1998 GT-2 Viper is the only run of Vipers I know of to be run down the line in VIN Sequence. Everything else is a bit of a crap shoot. Kinda dictated by when a VIN is assigned and who ordered the Viper and the expected delivery date just some of the reasons they are all over the board. Not even the 2002 FE's are in order. I wish I could tell you more

Vj

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As ViperJeff said, the 1998 GT2 Edition cars are the only ones to run the line in VIN/dash plaque sequence. Not even the other special editions had VINs in sequence. The dash plaques for the special editions (Final, First, Mamba and Copperhead) were NOT in sequence. The only way to know for sure what number you have in the sequence is to get the MDH code from all the cars of the same model year and see where yours falls.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the MDH codes available somewhere on the internet, or is that something that will have to be tracked down and paid for?

Thanks guys :) ---

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Absolutely free, it's on the VIN tag on the drivers door.

The MDH format is MMDDHH where MM is the month, DD is the day, and HH is the hour.

Month - two digit representation of the month produced
01 - January
02 - February
03 - March
04 - April
05 - May
06 - June
07 - July
08 - August
09 - September
10 - October
11 - November
12 - December

Day - two digit representation of day on month produced
01 - first day thru 31 - thirty first day

Hour - Two digit military time Viper was produced
01 = 1 AM thru 24 = 12 PM

Example:
MDH 100819
decodes as:
10 = Tenth month (October)
08 = Eighth day
19 = Nineteenth hour (7 PM)

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
As ViperJeff said, the 1998 GT2 Edition cars are the only ones to run the line in VIN/dash plaque sequence. Not even the other special editions had VINs in sequence. The dash plaques for the special editions (Final, First, Mamba and Copperhead) were NOT in sequence. The only way to know for sure what number you have in the sequence is to get the MDH code from all the cars of the same model year and see where yours falls.

Absolutely True... and..... This is possible

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The seemingly sequential # on special production vehicles is seldom the order # or production #. The id # plates are affixed usually as they are prepared for shipment. My FE Viper, Ford Harley Davidson truck, SRT 10 yellow fever, Harley 105th anniversary street glide all have special numbered plates but don't really reflect what sequence they were produced in. I had a one of one built Saleen (#04-104) mystichrome Cobra (#114) speedster (#99), but only the build sheets would reflect actual order and production dates. Saleen was famous for starting their #s at random to give the appearance of of greater production.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper