July & August

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I shouldn't have any trouble this year meeting my mandatory mileage requirement as set by my Insurance Carrier (5,000).
Its 6 months into the year and so far, I've only put 1,000 on it.
Given my current heating issue, I think I will keep it garaged and only drive to Coffee and Rides at the end of each month (close by) until September, when it begins to cool off a little more.

I do need to get better acquainted with the car to where I can do the mundane self service type work on it. I suspect a more informed owner could probably chase down the heating issue on their own, without having to take the car somewhere. I've got a 2002 Viper Service Manual, but for some reason, some sections, like the one on servicing and maintaining the Coolant System, are for me hard to interpret. Its weird - I can build an M60 Tank from the ground up; but I've never been good at working on cars. Maybe I need to go back into the military, and this time in the Transportation Division, so I can learn to work on Trucks and Cars.

Last edited:

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I shouldn't have any trouble this year meeting my mandatory mileage requirement as set by my Insurance Carrier (5,000).
Its 6 months into the year and so far, I've only put 1,000 on it.
Given my current heating issue, I think I will keep it garaged and only drive to Coffee and Rides at the end of each month (close by) until September, when it begins to cool off a little more.

I do need to get better acquainted with the car to where I can do the mundane self service type work on it. I suspect a more informed owner could probably chase down the heating issue on their own, without having to take the car somewhere. I've got a 2002 Viper Service Manual, but for some reason, some sections, like the one on servicing and maintaining the Coolant System, are for me hard to interpret. Its weird - I can build an M60 Tank from the ground up; but I've never been good at working on cars. Maybe I need to go back into the military, and this time in the Transportation Division, so I can learn to work on Trucks and Cars.

Mike- How hot is it getting. These cars usually run hot in hot weather. As long as you are not in teh red you are good. Mine gets hot even on highway drives if I am behind someone. As soon as I change lanes to get clear air my temp drops down 10 degrees with a breath of fresh air. Have you bought a laser temp gauge like this one Car may be fine and your temp sending unit is crapped out, changed 3 in my 2001 car. With that temp gun you can check to see if your gauge is telling the truth or not.

OP
OP
M

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem solved. While checking the radiator grille for bugs and other similar type debris, I found and pulled out a large cardboard beer container that was wedged up underneath, restricting air flow.
How it came to be wedged up beneath the radiator is totally beyond me, but there it was. My wife was standing next to me when I pulled it out, and her eyes nearly popped out of her head when I dislodged it and pulled it out. Very suspicious the way it was packed up beneath the radiator.

Anyway, the car now runs cool again, just like it did this time of year, last year. Thank goodness. Fun times ahead.

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen on a truck a few years ago and found a big piece of cardboard between the AC condenser and the radiator.....I love free "repairs" like that!

OP
OP
M

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car has good taste; it was a Dos Equis beer carton. Does that now make me the "Most interesting man in the world?"
When driving the Viper, the Police do stop and question me quite often, just because they find me interesting.
Stay thirsty my friends.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456