Hood alignment around headlights

bmiles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2001 GTS that I've had for about 6 years. When I bought the car, the gaps around the headlights and nose-to-hood were all tight. After a few years, I noticed that on one side the gaps were widening. I had a local shop try to align the gaps, but all that happened was they made the gaps larger on the side that was still in good condition. Does anyone know of a body shop in the MD/VA/PA area that works on Vipers and knows how to align the gaps properly? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Body panels shouldn't move over time...

Probably too late now with the bodyshop hack job lite, but lubricating the front latches might be a quick starting check. If they are not operating well the hood won't seat fully at the front.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Have you tried adjusting the two round rubber bump stops at the front of the hood? They simply screw up or down to allow the hood to close with the spacing gap you want.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can do it yourself take the nose off and there is shimes you can take out or add some and you can align the headlighs and all the gaps i did mine it takes time and patience and you will get it perfect!

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where do you live in MD? I'm about 45 min North of Baltimore near Bel Air. My car has hood and front fascia off right now so you can see how they are put together and I may be able to help with yours as I have been through them before.
Kevin

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to contact GTS Dean at VA. Pretty sure he has the correct order of what panel gets fit first, and then what gets fit to that panel etc. There is a correct order to go in, and aligning a part to something that instead should be aligned to it, creates nightmares with these cars.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Another point: If the Viper in question has been "whacked" in the front end and you discover this AFTER you remove the nose, you may make it much worse. You might be surprised to know just how many Viper owners find this info out well after their purchase. Finding broken plastic parts around headlights and radiator, multiple extra sheet metal screws here and there, overspray on non-body panel components, stacks of large fender washers being used as shims, etc...BAD SIGNS !!!

My point: don't go too far on your own without an Viper-experienced body shop nearby.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood, bumper and headlights on the Gen IIs are infinitely adjustable. What that means is that you can shim and adjust them in quite a few positions because no two Gen IIs are exactly alike. It's a PITA. Which reminds me that I gotta do mine one of these days. I've put it off for a few years now.

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doing this is a nightmare. You'll never find a shop who will want to take this on, unless you paying them hourly, and with an open checkbook.

Every car is so different. And, I Agree with Dave.. body panels dont move. Someone was probably in there before.
By now, many of these Gen1/2's have at least had the fascia off for repainting at one point, and a good portion of them, have been hit and repaired. So, Its almost impossible to find a genuine starting point.. Avoid this.. It might look worse than when you started...

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your ever around pittsburgh PA pm me and i will help you out we will get it straighten out !