Spark coming from Plug wire... Thoughts?

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgS0_IL-pzE&feature=youtu.be

Hey all... My car sat for 10 days while I was gone on business. I came back and took it out for a drive and it felt like the power was down 50hp or so and it sounded way off. The engine is running relatively rough at idle as well. I opened up the hood to see if I could see anything and I found this spark off one of the plug wires. Is/could this be the issue? If so, do I need new plug wires and plugs? I know pretty much nothing about engines so I am relying all all of your expertise. The car is a 2001 RT-10. I have a 93 octane tune from Roe, cat delete, smooth tubes, and custom exhaust. All else is stock. Any help or advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Age vs mice/chipmunks...NEW wires and plugs !!!

Steve,

Any recommendation on the Plugs and Wires I need to buy? Also is there a temporary fix to this issue while everything is on order, or am I Viperless for this week?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree with above wires...guessing your tune MAY influence your choice of plugs. Our Vipers' plugs stay stock !!

OP
OP

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to send "AB" a private message and it looks like his inbox is full. Does he have a website that I can visit to order the plug wires?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Duct tape. Get the tiger print stuff from Home Depot. 25 rwhp per installed yard.

put the books down dave

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 61k6R5jMJvL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_SS100_.jpg
    61k6R5jMJvL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_SS100_.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 156

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with others to get quality wires, I'll be replacing mine at some point. However, your problem could be as simple as the boot is not fully pressed on the plug and the spark grounds to the shield that's protects the boot from heat coming off the exhaust headers.

eabrillon1978

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had this same thing happen to me about 5 months ago and was going to post it, but didn't get to it. I was messing with my plugs because I noticed one of the boots wasn't fitting on terminal very good. I took a pair of needle nose and tried to squeeze the little metal ring on the inside of the boot so it would squeeze tighter on the terminal end. Well somehow I pinched the boot on the inside and put a pinhole tear in it. When I drove the car, it sounded like the car was missing and I could not figure out what was wrong. I pulled over and opened the hood. I saw the same spark around the heat shield. I found the pinhole and my temp fix was electrical tape around it a couple times. Cured the problem and I drove 2 or 3 after that with no issues of it melting either.

I ordered the AB wires to replace them with some high powered coills as well, forgot the brand of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21