Rear wheel size vs straight line performance ,19" or 18"??

challenger&viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,
My viper is a gen IV. The car is going to be ready very soon and I am expecting my rwhp to be 600+. My main use is street driving on weekends. Iam not planing to track the viper anymore.

Considering that iam going to use Mickey Thompson street drag radials anyway and iam only concerned about straight line fun like 30- 160 mph roll.Which size is going to make me faster?
Is there a real notesable difference between 18 and 19 in a sraight line race?

My final gear ratio going to be 3.33, so how is changing from 19 "to 18 " rear wheel going to affect the performance ?

Based on my use. Should I stay with 19" or go with 18" ??

Thanks

cerveza v10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is a loaded question with many different answers..:eater:.... nitto makes a 19 drag radial that would work....dry only use! 160mph + they do tend to wiggle a bit...let us know!

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Provided everything clears, the extra sidewall you'll gain by having an 18" wheel on the back will only help traction. You'll trade that back off in high speed stability, especially on a drag radial, so be careful.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are gonna be going 160 on public roads, you will need to..........watch out for the cops. ......I think the tires are a smaller concern.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
My viper is a gen IV. The car is going to be ready very soon and I am expecting my rwhp to be 600+. My main use is street driving on weekends. Iam not planing to track the viper anymore.

Considering that iam going to use Mickey Thompson street drag radials anyway and iam only concerned about straight line fun like 30- 160 mph roll.Which size is going to make me faster?
Is there a real notesable difference between 18 and 19 in a sraight line race?

My final gear ratio going to be 3.33, so how is changing from 19 "to 18 " rear wheel going to affect the performance ?

Based on my use. Should I stay with 19" or go with 18" ??

Thanks
18" will give you much better traction but neither is good going into corners at those speeds! Since you are doing 30-160 I suggest getting 18s and running toyos dot slicks! They are sticky as s#it once warm! Trust me, you will hook and you will be more stable at those speeds! I'm sure you know you will have to make sacrifices! what traction you gain in the dry, you will surely lose in the rain! Lastely, I've done a lot of 40-170-180 runs and I dead hook with pss staring off in 2nd gear having 580 rwhp and 3.55 gears :D staring in 1st gear is another story:rolaugh:

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nine ball, Does the car feel stable at speed while cornering? How about at 170-80 mph? Have you taken you car up those speeds and how does it feel? Also Nitto recommends a max rim width of 12.5". Can you run these with a 13" rim? With only 600rwhp the our cars will dead hook with any drag radial out there!

OP
OP
C

challenger&viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, 18" has more grip but less stable at hi speeds than 19" .
What about acceleration?? I started this thread to know what are the differences between19" and18" especially in terms of acceleration.
From 30 to 160 mph which size will make the car accelerate faster and reach 160 mph sooner ??

OP
OP
C

challenger&viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nine ball, Does the car feel stable at speed while cornering? How about at 170-80 mph? Have you taken you car up those speeds and how does it feel? Also Nitto recommends a max rim width of 12.5". Can you run these with a 13" rim? With only 600rwhp the our cars will dead hook with any drag radial out there!

I heard the stability decreases at hi speeds with these tiers. But I don't know What it feels like. I drove my viper up to 160-165 starting from 60 mph with my stock tiers. I felt safe and confidant That wanted to do 170 and 180 mph but ran out of space.

Cornering wise. I think it is V dangerous at hi speed.

OP
OP
C

challenger&viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys stay on topic no need to talk about street racing, OK??
Pluse I did not say iam going to " street race anyone".
I am concerned about straight line performance from a roll. That's all.
I will keep it at that point and not going to explain more.

Let's talk about advantages,disadvantages, acceleration and performance.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, 18" has more grip but less stable at hi speeds than 19" .
What about acceleration?? I started this thread to know what are the differences between19" and18" especially in terms of acceleration.
From 30 to 160 mph which size will make the car accelerate faster and reach 160 mph sooner ??

Your acceleration will (should) be faster with an 18" wheel. But if you already have the 19's i don't think you would really feel a difference.