AB spark plug wires are worth every dollar..A few images are worth 1000 words..

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I replaced my stock one year old Viper RT-10 spark plug wires, I conducted an experiment on each old wire with the respective new wire.

I acquired an ohm reading of each old wire and compared the results to the new wire. The AB wire is the red thermal coating ones, while the stock one year old wire is the black one. When I had my head gaskets replaced last year, I had the Dodge dealer also replace my old plugs with the black OEM's in the picture.

The AB plugs are of the finest quality. They are a tad longer (a God sent) then the OEM's for a more comfortable fit. I love the large cylinder numbers added on each boot. It can be seen very clearly in dim areas.

The average OHM numbers are very close on all the black OEM and new AB spark plug wires. The lower ohm number means less resistance.

Arthur

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/600078_390458097676546_340471865_n.jpg

OEM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/600078_390458104343212_186086224_n.jpg

AB"S
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/600078_390458114343211_1763778745_n.jpg

Last edited:

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So they have benefits because they are longer and have cylinder numbers on the boots?

In both the 2nd and 3rd pic you have the positive in the AB cables, and the Negative in the OEM cables ... how is it getting two different readings?

Are you saying the OEM have 12.4 and the AB have 1.4 resistance?! ---

OP
OP
AAKVIPER

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So they have benefits because they are longer and have cylinder numbers on the boots?

In both the 2nd and 3rd pic you have the positive in the AB cables, and the Negative in the OEM cables ... how is it getting two different readings?

yes that is correct

OP
OP
AAKVIPER

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
AAKVIPER

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yes..1.4..The lower the resistance, the more power and spark you're carrying over the wire. Less work for your car's computer to do in compensating for crappy plug wires.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've looked at ordering before. Are those heat boots suggested? My viper has longer metal tubes where each boot goes.....is that factory?

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if you read 1.7 ohms or 12.4, especially if that reading given for a full length wire. What's important is to get the right voltage from the coil packs. You could have 100 ohms per foot on a single wire and still have full spark. The AB wire is definitely better quality compared to the cheap OEM one and worth replacing for the piece of mind.
DM yes, the metal split tubes are factory and placed in the heads to protect the cheap chit OEM boots without heat resistant socks.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how you checked resistance since what you show looks so wrong. + in one wire and - in the other. Can you clarify? You did check each wire seperately? How much variance did you get between the shorter and longer wires? Thanks.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how you checked resistance since what you show looks so wrong. + in one wire and - in the other. Can you clarify? You did check each wire seperately? How much variance did you get between the shorter and longer wires? Thanks.

I still wait for an answer on that. A typical super conductor cable usually reads 40-50 ohms. Given the fact spark plugs usually have 5 kilo ohms, standard cables are around 10 K ohm, a low reading of 50 ohms for a super conductor cable is perfect.
Wonder if these AB wires are solid core with readings of 1.7 OHM or 1.7 K OHM?

Last edited:

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if you read 1.7 ohms or 12.4, especially if that reading given for a full length wire. What's important is to get the right voltage from the coil packs. You could have 100 ohms per foot on a single wire and still have full spark. The AB wire is definitely better quality compared to the cheap OEM one and worth replacing for the piece of mind.
DM yes, the metal split tubes are factory and placed in the heads to protect the cheap chit OEM boots without heat resistant socks.
. Thanks........would you recommend the boots or not really necessary for these?

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I haven't seen if the AB wires have straight boots or angled like the OEM's. I'm not too keen on the looks of those extra protective socks on boots myself. IMO, straight boots would have been better with the metal tubes from the factory. The OEM angled boots need to be turned aiming up to somewhat clearing them from rubbing against the metal tubes. Straight boots would keep away from touching the tubes [ one of mines were cut by chafing on the tubes] and had to be replaced. I think they wanted to keep the wires tucked closer to the heads clamping them close to the valve covers with the holders, hence the angling the boots upwards. It is still doable to make a nice routing with straight boots though.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no need for the socks IMO. just use the stock SS heatshield tubes.

And keep your header heatshields on

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
has anyone seen a back to back dyno with the AB's compared to the OEM's?

I can't imagine that changing spark plug wires makes any performance difference if the OEM wires are in the same, new, condition. At some point, a spark is a spark and it doesn't matter if it is 35,000 volts or 34,000 volts. Either one ignites the air/fuel mixture. Just my opinion. Now, do the test with both sets of wires that have encountered the engine heat of 10-20000 miles of 70 mph driving. That may likely be a bigger difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper