HELP! aftermarket stereo install, no sound...

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I bought a JVC $100 unit at Best Buy this weekend to replace the stock unit for a while - It does bluetooth calls and music, iPod controls, and has a stereo jack input up front too, so theres three ways to get my music off the iPhone. It also has a built in DAC for when I do connect it hardwired. I'll be using this for a while and then this winter it might pair up with new wiring, speakers, and a new amp. Anyways...

I bought the dodge pigtail and soldiered it to the JVC unit's pigtail, color for color, wire for wire. When I went to test it in the car, it would power up, recieve the correct radio stations (so the antenna is working) but it won't play music through the speakers - not even static. I think this has something to do with there being a factory amp built into the Viper. There is another plug that was left untouched from the wiring I did. I'm wondering what I did wrong or what I'm missing in order to get this to play music correctly...?

Here is a picture of the back of a dodge typical factory unit. There are two plugs that plug into this, one wider one and a square one. My fabricated harness plugs into the rectangular one, and the square plug is left dangling. Does that have something to do with it?

You must be registered for see images attach

I've tried searching online and it has to have something to do with the factory amp I would guess. Either the radio is not pinging the amp to turn on or the radio assumes there isn't one there. Help!

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a picture and wiring diagram stickered on top of the factory unit. Use that to mate up the right wires/pins to your aftermarket stereo. It's the simplest way to figure it out;)

OP
OP
T

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Red Snake, but alas there was no picture on top of my factory box. I just ended up sitting and staring at the unit and connected the two blue wires (one had white stripe) that said "power antenna" and it worked fine! They were using that "power antenna" connection as a factory amp remote.

So, after connecting that blue wire, problem solved.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should connect the remote-turn-on blue wire, not the antenna-turn-on blue wire, as this will only power the amp when the radio is on, not when the CD player is on...........

OP
OP
T

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My deck does not have CD capabilities. The pigtail on the JVC unit had a sticker that said the blue wire was for either an external amp, eq, or power antenna. The pigtail on the dodge connector wiring harness I bought had a blue wire with white stripe (I think, either that or the white stripe was on the JVC pigtail). The corresponding terminal on the Viper's wiring harness was blue with orange stripe.

So I connected those three and it works on all functions: Radio, bluetooth, usb input, and (i'm assuming, haven't tried) headphone jack aux.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper