Serpentine belt and power steering pulley.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My serpentine belt got ripped up yesterday and I replaced it with Dayco PolyRib Belt. 2 questions:
1. Any comments on this belt. It's V lines are not as pronounced as the OEM belt which is backordered from Chrysler.
2. My power steering pulley was wobbly. Is this normal? In the short time I had, I was unable to figure out if this could be adjusted. Is there an alternative?

Regards,
-Avi
1997 Viper GTS

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avi based on my experience a wobbly pulley is not normal. Is it the OEM plastic one? They're notorious for breaking/cracking and leaving Vipers stranded on the side of the road. Perhaps your pulley is broke or about to break? I would replace it. I replaced mine with an aluminum pulley from the late Big Brake Dave year ago. Fairly straightforward to do.

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call jon b. replace pulley immediately. i had to do this on 2 of my cars. that's probably why your belt got ripped up. the ps pulley threw the belt.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Replace the bracket the holds the power steering pump at the same time also. They are notorious for cracking/breaking and also leaving you stranded.

OP
OP
A

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And just to confirm, the PS pulley is the big pulley on top left (driver) side, right? Also, the service manual says NOT to switch to a metal pulley (I'll post the exact language in the evening). Why on earth would something like that be documented?

Regards,
-Avi
1997 Viper GTS

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Avi, I assume that you are referring to the bold-face, large type "Caution" note listed at the top of the "Power Steering Pump Pulley" section of the 1997 Viper Service Manual which says:

"CAUTION: The pulley used on the power steering pump has been changed from a metal pulley to a plastic pulley. The offset of the two pulleys is different. Do not use a metal replacement pulley on a vehicle originally equipped with a plastic pulley. This will damage the serpentine drive belt."

I would suggest that this note is to specifically to warn against using the Gen I pulley (metal) which is indeed different. Since this was written well before any sizable numbers of Gen II Vipers were on the road, the relatively high failure rate for the plastic pulley was likely unknown or thought to be minimal in terms of numbers. Also, at the time of the publication referenced, there were only a few "dress up" pulleys offered by my memory. Since that time, with more and more reported failures on stock Vipers (let alone forced induction beasts), professional machinists began to offer a CORRECT aluminum billet pulley...and a billet bracket since these brackets were now being discovered to have a significant failure rate as well on both Gen I Vipers and Gen II Vipers. The Gen I and II kits DO differ.

Search "power steering pulley" for dozens of threads reporting failures of either/both components. If you are still hesitant to change yours, so be it. If that is the case, you might start carrying a spare belt, tools, and start practicing the repair in the dark just to be safe. :)

Here is a thread where some of us did a "field repair"...in a mall, with both a Sears and an AutoZone CLOSE by !!!

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My plastic pulley grenaded in Vegas at VOI9. Fortunatley, I was able to buy the one Dave (RIP) had on display. Had it since then. No issues at all with a metal pulley. Do it ASAP.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get a billet pulley from Roe racing or March Performance. I just did the upgrade on my 97 RT:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the Roe Racing steel pulley along with their bracket. Their set-up came with the shims necessary to push the pump out a couple tenths of an inch so that the steel pulley lines up where the OEM "plastic" pulley was. The reason the manual cautions not to replace with the steel pulley is that it has a different offset and can't be used without the shims (thick washers) for the bracket mounting points.

OP
OP
A

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I just ordered the IPSCO pulley and bracket.

Regards,
-Avi
1997 Viper GTS

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I added the aluminum pulley - was going to do the bracket, and then found a better solution... i added a Paxton. It has a nice new aluminum mount for the power steering pump!

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the Roe Racing steel pulley along with their bracket. Their set-up came with the shims necessary to push the pump out a couple tenths of an inch so that the steel pulley lines up where the OEM "plastic" pulley was. The reason the manual cautions not to replace with the steel pulley is that it has a different offset and can't be used without the shims (thick washers) for the bracket mounting points.

same here!

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In the process of doing the pulley on my 97 as of this moment and thought i would smoke it and i did for awhile . I had it off in no time, However im heading to my buddys machine shop tomorrow morning ! After hours of trying to get the pulley off the shaft i had to throw in the towel !
That baby is on there the pulleys may be junk but the factory guy that installed it definitely didnt forget the lock tight !
I had the right puller i used penetrating oil , i heated the hub up to expand it ! So with that being said for any of you guys that arent real experienced mechanics i suggest having someone else install the new pulley . Its a job just trying to keep from damaging the pump while your trying to get it off the shaft . For those considering doing it soon expect the unexpected ! Im sure some came off easy mine is one that didnt ! Best of luck with yours !

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I broke up the old plastic pulley using pliers then with just the steel ring left on the pump shaft I took a Hack saw to the steel ring SLOWLY cutting at an angle while slowly rotating the steel ring. Yes it took a while but when it was almost through I could put a large Flat head screwdriver into the cut slot and prize the ring off. I replaced the pulley with the Ipsco one, also the bracket :)

OP
OP
A

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a very hard time. Everytime, I turned the puller nut, the vise that the pump was in came loose. Eventually I had to screw the vise down and use a 1/2" breaker bar. Penetrating fluids were useless. I have never used as much force (even on truck bolts) as I had to use on this stupid pulley.

It took me three hours, five attempts and lots of innovative solutions (thanks to the beer) to get that piece of crap off the shaft. The Ipsco documentation actually says it's a PITA.

-Avi
1997 Viper GTS

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ Wow, my install was completely uneventful. I had the pulley off the shaft within minutes are getting the puller on it. IPSCO pulley and bracket went back on with no issues as well.

Crazy how these installs can vary so much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper