Replacing power steering pump pulley and bracket, should i do the lines too?

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone else change the lines out when they service their pump and replace the pulley and bracket? Just wondering if I would be too anal by doing this. I'm also adding the vent tube as well. Any tips before I attempt this endeavor?

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The high pressure line (bolts into top of p/s pump) sometimes rub along the bottom of the p/s reservoir and end up with a V-shape notch worn into the line. Replacing that line would be prudent. The low-pressure line should be fine, unless it is starting to get some dry rot.

If your high-pressure hose is fine, you'll need a new viton o-ring for the connection to the pump when you reinstall the hose. Auto parts stores sell them (may have to buy an assortment).

Take your time and read the instructions that came with the pulley and life will be good. Oh, and make sure you have new Mopar p/s fluid. I'm not sure what the '98's take, but it will either be red or amber/clear. Some years used red, other years used amber/clear. Do you have a turkey baster or some fluid transfer pump to drain the p/s fluid out of the reservoir?

OP
OP
I

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an electric pump that is mounted to a bucket lid that I use to service my Yanmar in my boat. Best investment I ever made. I bought royal purple synthetic PS fluid and a small inline filter to clean the fluid and pump prior to pouring the new stuff in. Anyone have problems with this fluid? Any mods to prevent wearing of the high pressure line?

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recommend getting the bolt-up billet pulley, not the press-on one. Be prepared to cut the old hub off if the puller won't budge it. Didn't mess with the lines on mine. My vent is a length of silicone tubing I had laying around and routed carefully; no need to get extravagant here IMHO. Can't vouch for the purple fluid, would stick with OEM Mopar or the Advance Auto house brand (amber for 2001 and maybe earlier). Good luck.

OP
OP
I

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I already have the bracket and pulley sitting here in my garage for almost 3 months, I'm not sure which one I have since it has been that long. Which puller tool do I need? I'm assuming just the universal kit one

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding protecting the high-pressure line...just make sure it doesn't rub against the reservoir when you tighten up the nut attaching that hose to the pump. There should be plenty of clearance. Some were installed with the line touching.

Regarding the puller...I bought mine from Harbor Freight here in town. I think it was all of $16 and after I filed down a part (5 minutes) it worked fine. So far it has pulled 4 pulleys from Vipers without problems.

Regarding fluid, I'd stick with the appropriate OEM p/s fluid.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a Dodge Tech Service Bulletin regarding what power steering fluid was used at the factory and what is recommended:

Viper Year Factory Fill OEM Approved Service Fluid
1992 - 1998 MS5931 MS5931
1999 - 2000 MS9933 MS9602
2001 - 2003 MS5931 MS5931

So you take the Mopar MS5931 p/s fluid. That's the amber/clear fluid.

OP
OP
I

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From a Dodge Tech Service Bulletin regarding what power steering fluid was used at the factory and what is recommended:

Viper Year Factory Fill OEM Approved Service Fluid
1992 - 1998 MS5931 MS5931
1999 - 2000 MS9933 MS9602
2001 - 2003 MS5931 MS5931

So you take the Mopar MS5931 p/s fluid. That's the amber/clear fluid.

When was that TSB posted?

Also, I just looked at one of my receipts. I purchased my pulley/bracket from Roe Racing, is that a press on or bolt on?

Will the synthetic fluid pose a problem then?

Last edited:

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
August 2003

Not sure about Roe...maybe press on?

I installed an IPSCO p/s bracket and pulley. Their pulley uses a split hub. Simple to install and very clever.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I already have the bracket and pulley sitting here in my garage for almost 3 months, I'm not sure which one I have since it has been that long. Which puller tool do I need? I'm assuming just the universal kit one

I took my pump and new pulley up to Napa, 2 minutes and $5.00 the new pulley was pressed on.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
August 2003

I installed an IPSCO p/s bracket and pulley. Their pulley uses a split hub. Simple to install and very clever.
Yup, that's the one. Dealt with Mark direct at IPSCO.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ended up getting that puller/installer kit at harbor freight. $13. Thanks guys!

Good deal. Remember to check the fit of the collars that go over the center of the old pulley to remove it. I had to hand fit those collars (nothing a mill bastard can't take care of) before I was able to use it. Took 5 minutes and made a huge difference.

OP
OP
I

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good deal. Remember to check the fit of the collars that go over the center of the old pulley to remove it. I had to hand fit those collars (nothing a mill bastard can't take care of) before I was able to use it. Took 5 minutes and made a huge difference.

Copy........

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those that want to do it instead of paying someone, the lower bolt is a ****** to get out. Remove your air box and tubes into the intakes (a couple of bolts and hose clamps) ... remove the power steering cooler bolts and lower it down out of the way (two torx bolts). The top two bolts are pretty easy using a U-joint on your ratchet. The bottom one is the bear to work with! The trick is to have a 1/2" ratchet-box end wrench (works best if it's one with a swivel joint). I tried all kinds of combinations of wrenches and socket/swivels and broke down with a trip to Loewe's to get the RIGHT tool.

Once I had the right wrench in hand, it was a simple procedure!