acr suspension set up

birdman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
who around houston can set up my shocks. car is all over the road and hard to handle at high speed. i was told you have to set up shocks. its my first viper and not really sure what all needs to be done. car is a 2010 acr vooo doo. thanks

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Morgan at Tomball Dodge is the resident Viper expert. They will be doing my alignment soon, also.

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you know how they are set now? For street I just run mine at one or two all the way around, at the track 6 up frount and 5 in the rear. The KW's are very easy to adjust and the ACR instructions are pretty straight forward. However if the car is pulling then your alignment may be in question. If the ride is what is killing you then its probably the compression and rebound settings on the shocks. Don't get me wrong, due to the aero on the car the 1,000 lbs springs do make for a taught ride, but it shouldn't be all over the road.

Richard

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shocks are easy to do, one of us can help you if you live near someone. If the shocks are set correctly, then it is more likely the alignment like Nine Ball said, see Morgan at Tomball Dodge.

p.s. - Richard, I think you meant to say one or two clicks from full soft, number one or two according to the ACR booklet is almost full hard.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
who around houston can set up my shocks. car is all over the road and hard to handle at high speed. i was told you have to set up shocks. its my first viper and not really sure what all needs to be done. car is a 2010 acr vooo doo. thanks

Like Hou99gts said, your best bet is to meet with a Gen4 ACR owner like Eric or the Houston VCA President Mike and have them help you. I would suggest an alignment though.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a quick note on tires. If you are on the Sport Cups that were stock with the car they also tend to track with grooves and can be more 'darty' on public roads than a traditional treaded tire. I have also seen left to right unbalanced compression/rebound settings cause poor ride quality and left to right issues on uneven pavement as well. Guys have mistaken these two issues for needing an alignment in the past.

The ACR will ride rough on public roads compared to a normal coupe regardless of rebound/compression set up. Might want to have an experienced ACR owner check the car out with you. I'd offer up services but am very busy the next few weeks. Otherwise, as stated before Morgan is the man to see at Tomball.

Good luck!

OP
OP
B

birdman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks for all the help. the alignment is good and it does have the stock sport cups. car just tracks in the grooves very bad. what tires do yall suggest for street use.

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, meant from the soft side, what part of town you in so one of us may be able to assist? For Street only driving the Michelin Pilot Super Sport has worked very well for us.

Richard

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not the shocks. I am sure you alignment is way off

While alignment might be an issue and is worth checking after looking over the basics on the coil overs and ride height, I have heard so many people tell me they need an alignment due to high speed behavior and it was a bad adjustment on the coil overs left to right or all around. Pretty absolute a post having not been around the car or knowing the roads that ellicited the complaint.

I stick by my original post on this. I'm not ruling out the alignment, but I have solved this complaint for multiple Houston members with a few 'clicks'. I can only recall one time it turned out to be the alignment and it was uneven negative camber on sport cups (2008 ACR) that was obvious just looking at the car.

30 minutes before spending money on an alignment is worth the time IMO.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 4 ACR manual suggests starting with 6 clicks up front and 5 in the rear from full firm for track use but its not bad for the street either. This is the top of the shock setting and what I adjusted mine to by simply jacking the car up and turning the knob.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just remember, if you lower your car, the toe will be off and camber(witch camber will benifit handle) but you must adjust toe if you lower your viper,so it drives correctly, leave the camber alone imo because it will help the handleing,and not harm the tire wear so much. unless you drive it 20k miles a year