Door Latch - Door won't latch shut

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Title says it all. Brought the car back to the garage after some driving and a show today. The driver'sdoor wouldn't stay latched shut. You can hear the mechanism as always, but the latch itself won't stay locked down. I compared it to the passenger side, which I was able to use my fingers to latch the mechanism, and then use the handle to unlatch.

I other words, when you shut the door, the latch doesn't stay locked down. Well, I uses a tie down attahced to the passenger handle and driver handle to keep the door pulled to enough to drive it 6 miles down to the dealer. I then got out, and and reaching in, re-attached the tie down, and while my friend pushed the door in, I pulled it tight. It is just enough to keep it closed, and the mirror light did go out, so hopefully it is enough until the service guys can look at it on Monday.

It's parked at the back of the dealer, out of sight from the road, but the window is still down of course. Not supposed to get any rain until Monday night, and as a convertible, is never really locked anyway.

I haven't really seen this issue on the boards here. I guess it involves taking the panel off and replacing the mechanism? I appreciate any thoughts.

Scott

OP
OP
S

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did a search, and I saw there were a couple of "body control module" issues, but I don't this it is that. I think there is something wrong with the latch itseld. As I said, I can take my finger and manually lock down the latch on the passenger door, but the driver's side won't stay locked down.

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a few minor issues with doors on my 06 in the past and I took off the positive side of the battery and grounded it out to reset everything and it worked after that. May not work on your situation but would be worth a shot.

OP
OP
S

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hopefully it is something that easy. Betweenn this car and the Grand Marquis, the electricals are the issues on modern cars!

It's sitting at the dealer now, I guess they'll give me a diagnosis on Monday. Except for the battery, I tried a couple of the issues noted (after I searched this forum) but they didn't work.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had this happen on my 06 as well. I kept screwing with the lock. Locked unlocked started the car shut it off. It cleared it self. Has not happened again. The battery terminal trick is what I would try. Before you spend money with the stealers, oops I mean dealers.