LED Replacement Lighting Thread

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the new RED 3157. It is supposed to be brighter and better. Honestly, it didn't make a huge difference. I will post comparison pics tomorrow.

The LEDs are higher power, but there are less of them... But I will say the diffractive glass around the bulb makes for a smoother light distribution when reflected on a wall.

You must be registered for see images attach

Right side of garage door pic below is the new encased bulb, left side is 45 LED bulb. I guess the new bulb has a slightly brighter output. Not dramatic though.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the new 'switchback' LED for the front signals. I will try to put them in later when I figure out how to remove that inner panel - trying not to remove wheel, hopefully will have enough room.

You can see a row of white and a row of yellow side by side in each row.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These new H10 fogs are really nice. Since my car is jammed against the garage wall, I couldn't get a comparison pic yet. The color is very nice and bright.

Here is a pic with fogs and HIDs on. Color match is better with the LEDs, and brighter. Will get front shot later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the interest of science, I may put a trim *** on the stock relay in place of that resistive loop. Then I can just adjust it to match the bulb combo.

EDIT: Not gonna work. I removed the loop, measured it, only 0.9 ohms. There is no trimmer that will work accurately in that range that I know of.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the LM470 kinda works. Doesn't blow fuses, good. Doesn't blink fast with LEDs, good. When car is off, turning on Hazards produces a loud constant buzz. I have a tech email in to the manufacturer, who I have been dealing with. It's not the end of the world, considering I rarely use hazards with the car off. Maybe I will try the resistor mod on the stock relay.

Here is the package for the LM470. I am going to keep it since it is close to the only working solution. You get it at Advance or Autozone. $30 is a bit steep though. They don't sell this on the LED websites, they only sell the non working, fuse blowing, crap one.

Last edited:

King_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am excited to see the VLED's please make a video. I absolutely love where you are going with this entire thread! Great job on info and taking the time to do this!

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok here are some pics.

On the drivers side is the VLED fog light in 5K white, and the VLED switchback in 5K white (which turns amber as a turn signal). On the passenger side is the stock lighting. I like it.

Now here, same thing with HIDs on. Almost looks like dual lights.

I tried to take an night shot, but my camera just can't get it right.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now on to the turn signals. Well, ran into a slight issue here. The car has two lights for the blinkers, the 3157 main bulb in that housing, and the small 168/194 size bulb in the amber side marker at the edge of the headlight. Well, for some reason, this extra load confuses the heck out of whatever circuit is in the VLED switchback bulb. Basically, with the side bulb in, the switchback just turns off. It will not function. I am going to talk to VLEDs about this. So for the meantime, who cares about that little light, I just removed it.

https://vimeo.com/51372371

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So now that night came, I saw that the VLED 3157 is definitely brighter than the 45 LED bulb. It was more apparent when I applied the brakes. Not sure if the video captures it accurately. At any rate, at this point, the VLED is the brightest red 3157 I can find. Keeping the VLED for sure. I have two AMBER version for the rear blinkers, but they are back ordered.

VLED is on left of screen. Original 45 LED bulb is still on right of screen.
https://vimeo.com/51372370

webby

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great thread.. what about bright lights?

I kind of like the contrast with the fog lights having a "warm" color, but other than that the LEDs look great

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread. I actually hate the contrast of the fog lights and HID and now I know what to get for my fog lights.

King_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the vled's on your Viper, I think it give the care the "intelligent" look while still being a monster! Very nice job! and thanks for the videos! Beautiful vert BTW.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys! I really like this 5K color. Its not blue, but very very white. Maybe the slightest touch of blue, maybe. Now the stick HIDs look yellowish! They are about 4300K I believe. They do however, make replacement 5K HID DS1 bulbs....

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like this switchback. Looks like a great Daytime Running Lamp with a proper yellow signal light.

Actually, I have been driving with these lights on for kicks. It does look like a DRL, it is quite bright during the day. Of course, I need to have parking lights on, and then turn the interior dimmer to day so that the stereo/nav is readable. But it kind of looks a little more 'modern'.

I would like real DRLs, but there is no good way to mount any elsewhere without looking like a Pep Boys special. Maybe I can wire these switchbacks in with a separate switch, power supply, and relay. The relay will turn off the separate power when the turn signal is on or the parking light switch is on. I must be bored or something...

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you list all the bulbs with source in one post.... I am looking to make this upgrade sooner rather than later. I do want the front side marker if possible though.... great work on these options!!

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All lights are 'standard' wiring. Some of these are back ordered. Like the Amber Signals. Also, you can Pre-Order super expensive V3 LEDs, they just got put up on site.

Red Brake Lights
http://www.v-leds.com/PLATINUM-RED-7-WATT-HIGH-p9814701-1-2.html

Amber Rear Turn Signals (can also be used in Front if you don't want switchback)
http://www.v-leds.com/PLATINUM-AMBER-7W-HIGH-p9814698-1-2.html

5K White / Amber Switchback Front Parking / Turn Signal
http://www.v-leds.com/5K-WHITE-AMBER-DUAL-COLOR-p9814708-1-2.html

5K White Fogs
http://www.v-leds.com/5K-WHITE-28-LED-13W-DRLFOG-p8022474-2-2.html

5K License Plate Lights (I actually didn't try these, but they should work. I used bulbs from another site)
http://www.v-leds.com/5K-WHITE-3-CHIP-5-LED-p9722412-1-2.html

I don't have the front side marker lights working yet...
http://www.v-leds.com/AMBER-3-CHIP-5-LED-LIGHT-p9722416-1-2.html

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where would you use the V3s? Just the Switchbacks or the tails as well?

Looks like they fit any 3157 application, or any bulb that fits that size socket diameter. It's not clear to me either. I guess you need to crimp on the appropriate socket as well, depending on the bulb? They need to post more info.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now on to the turn signals. Well, ran into a slight issue here. The car has two lights for the blinkers, the 3157 main bulb in that housing, and the small 168/194 size bulb in the amber side marker at the edge of the headlight. Well, for some reason, this extra load confuses the heck out of whatever circuit is in the VLED switchback bulb. Basically, with the side bulb in, the switchback just turns off. It will not function. I am going to talk to VLEDs about this. So for the meantime, who cares about that little light, I just removed it.

So did you figure out what is the problem with the parking lights in those amber triangles? Would replacing the bulbs take care of the problem or it just does not work with LED turn signals and you lose turn signals? I am replacing my headlight bulbs and already have LED turn signal bulbs but they are 6000k and not switchbacks since I do not really like that.

BTW, how did you get those parking light sockets out from the headlights? I tried and they do not want to budge at all....

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, how did you get those parking light sockets out from the headlights? I tried and they do not want to budge at all....

I had to grab a pair of pliers and gently squeeze it while twisting...for some reason, that socket holder is a very tight fit, and I also couldn't get it to budge by hand.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to grab a pair of pliers and gently squeeze it while twisting...for some reason, that socket holder is a very tight fit, and I also couldn't get it to budge by hand.
So you twist them to remove them? Clockwise or counterclockwise? I got them to turn a bit but after feeling some crunching, stopped...

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as we're talking about those front corner marker lights that light up the amber triangle in the corners of the headlamps, then yes. Twist counterclockwise to release them from their death grip on the headlight housing, and pull them out (the bulb will be on the end of a stick, sort of).

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as we're talking about those front corner marker lights that light up the amber triangle in the corners of the headlamps, then yes. Twist counterclockwise to release them from their death grip on the headlight housing, and pull them out (the bulb will be on the end of a stick, sort of).
sounds good, hopefully they will come out and not require JB Weld to reinstall them, LOL.

JohnnyH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull the lense off and share your findings, LOL. This may be the thing people from finding out.

Hahaha. Yea you're right. I have one side that the lense looks very beat up for some reason and the other side looks great. I was going to order a new headlight. When the new one comes in I may take apart my old headlight and see whats all involved.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahaha. Yea you're right. I have one side that the lense looks very beat up for some reason and the other side looks great. I was going to order a new headlight. When the new one comes in I may take apart my old headlight and see whats all involved.

I meant "keeping people from finding out". If replacement lens was available like for the Vette, I would pull them off but apparently Chrysler /Sylvania decided not to make life easier... This is the sucky part. Nevertheless, report back, especially regarding the bulb and socket that are behind the fugly triangle. Would not do any good to pull it off if you expose the socket, maybe plug up the hole somehow...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper