RT10 hardtop market

OP
OP
J

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
alright.. no new pics of interest yet, but as for an update... I have been brainstorming and visiting with a company some of you may recognize called Autoform. They are the gurus of all things viper body related. This is good (probably great) news for anyone interested in this top design. We are still working on some of the design and technical aspects but this should be a reality even sooner than expected, and with they're ability and abundant experience any tops will be able to be produced far quicker than just me all by myself. Just a quick example... there is already a mold built and the first experimental skin is done.. by myself that's a month or two away yet. Also don't worry about the price skyrocketing.. one of the goals is to keep it affordable for the Viper owner such as myself... (meaning not rich). So stay tuned.. it's getting better by the minute..

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would love a 3 peice top that is affordable. Currently I have a early 93 viper (different latches then 94+) and I have no top :( On market for affordable top.

OP
OP
J

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will hope to get an update posted maybe after next weekend.. Being in collaboration with Autoform means it takes weekend trips and open time in both of our personal schedules so not every weekend will work out.. that being said there are some positive new developments going and some of the usual phone pics.. but I would rather wait until it gets to the next stage and take a few good photos.. thanks for the interest. Stay tuned :D

OP
OP
J

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Mediocrity does not see higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes the genius.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Well I must have at least some latent talent then. Autoform has taken the lead on the top and after spending the day at Autoform and seeing the progress on the top I am convinced that the final product will exceed my original expectations. The original intent of the gts line is still the predominant design but Steve from AF has incorporated a couple of aesthetic touches of his own that are going to be awesome. I did get one pic that shows the overall shape and flow but it's a cell phone pic so don't expect too much. I will update as much as possible and probably sooner than we thought you will be able to put one on your own car! Thanks for watching

J

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm confused....Autoform already makes it's own hard tops. Are they making this top for you to sell? I can't see how these will affordable.

OP
OP
J

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it will be sold through Autoform now. not directly from me even though it was originally just mine (and i will probably tell everyone it was my top;) it still meets all of my goals as far as design and it will still be affordable to people more like myself who are unable to drop 3k on a roof.. AF is going to meet any production
quantity considerably quicker then just me alone. Basically it is going to be a new version top from Autoform based off of my original idea. And without giving anything away there is a really cool idea floating around that you will all love.. but I can't share yet... but trust me It would be awesome if it came about.. just stay tuned and all will be revealed as soon as I can.

OP
OP
J

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it will be very cool kngsnke.. and to think it all started with you. :)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like the top will require different windows like the original AF top. Can they make this top with the option to use the stock Gen I snap-in windows? Additional cost of windows will be over $1K.

OP
OP
J

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It looks like the top will require different windows like the original AF top. Can they make this top with the option to use the stock Gen I snap-in windows? Additional cost of windows will be over $1K.
Windows were one of my original design hangups actually due to the complexity of building the whole window without making it look like an afterthought. Personally I think my stock soft gen 1 windows are irritating enough that I would just drive in the rain without them... I'm gonna get wet either way since all the water comes right in the front seal of the window anyways so I might as well be able to see. :)
Fortunately for everyone that likes to stay dry there will be a window option but since one of the goals is for it to fit a car with actual rollup windows us gen 1 guys are going to be stuck figuring out what we want to do. I honestly think that you will be surprised by the price goals we have set so stay tuned. It's hard trying to appeal to the masses and put everything in it that everybody would want.. I spend a lot of time thinking things through and eventually I just have to admit whats best. Thankfully now that I'm talking with (incessantly bugging) Steve at Af I can recognize when my ideas become irrational by the "I'm going to punch you in the head" look he gets.
Just keep watching this and when we get to the point of a set price I think it would be a pleasant surprise to most of you.
Thanks again
J

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
did you say this will be able to fold to store in trunk? I saw that it was mentioned but not sure...

OP
OP
J

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Without going into detail its shaped totally different. Once its done you will be able to see the difference. And with Steves new idea that takes my original plan to the next level it will be a drastic change and look really wicked. Just check on us every once and a while and try to have patience with the project. It will be worth it. Right now there is just the single piece in the works because we need the shape right.. but we do have some 3 piece ideas but for now just taking it one step at a time

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update pending.. I have all kinds of stuff I want to share but alas... it will spoil the impending reveal.. Ill see what I can come up with to keep everyone intrigued... might not be today but soon enough.. .. hold please. :D

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
believe me we are intrigued.

Update pending.. I have all kinds of stuff I want to share but alas... it will spoil the impending reveal.. Ill see what I can come up with to keep everyone intrigued... might not be today but soon enough.. .. hold please. :D

OP
OP
J

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well this promises to be a fun update. I will let the pics do the talking. But I can't claim any credit for all the cool lines and general wicked looking appearance. Steve from Autoform came up with the center line look (inspired by the new Gen 5 lines) and did all the sculpting for it. Now as a stand alone piece it is awesome looking just in these cell phone pics... but what's really cool is the matching spoiler and lower front fascia with the same lines planned to tie it all together. .. so hit me with some feedback and any creative names for this package. I was thinking some sort of "Stryker" nomenclature as obvious reference to the inspiration. but let's see what you think .

Attachments

• 100MEDIA36IMAG0097.jpg
    100MEDIA36IMAG0097.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 232

s55c

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hope you call it "affordable" lol.... seriously it looks really kool & depending on cost I would most likely do one,,, you have anything figured out for the windows?

OP
OP
J

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am probably the bottom of the barrel as far as viper owner income so I understand where your coming from. stay tuned for pricing. you will be able to get windows as well. should be very similar to the current AF windows. just shaped accordingly.

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks great Jason, I love the lines of it. It's not as rounded as the older AF top. The windows look like they would be an in between size or the AF and stock windows. It would be nice if the stock windows fit your top.

Speed SG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great! :2tu:

I may be interested in the spoiler and or lower front fascia

What are the mounting points for the front of the hardtop? Are the rear mounts the same as the original Autoform top?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala