RT10 hardtop market

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will be building a carbon fiber hardtop for my 94 rt starting at the end of this month. (Oct, 2012) I was curious about the market for selling any as well. It will have the same bubbles as a gts and use your existing soft top hardware. I would send them in plain carbon fiber and it would be up to you guys/girls to paint to match or leave as is. If there's any interest just hit this thread. I'm also planning to work out a 3 piece to fit in the trunk that would still be a bubble top but that's a little farther down the road. As a preliminary guess I would anticipate approximately a $2k dollar price range for the 1 piece ready for paint. Lexan slider windows as an option.
Thanks

J

s55c

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would be more interested in the 3 piece,,, having the option of trunk storage on a trip would be nice. My plan was to try and budjet one in next year.... good luck with your hardtops,,, i'm a possible buyer... would need more info and pics but am interested.

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will there be more room under the roof than the standard canvas soft top? If so, will it be inches or millimeters? I don't particularly like the storage difficulties of the Autoform top.

DMC94

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Like the idea of a one piece. I assume it would fit with the stock windows.

OP
OP
J

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will try to have my mold which is an actual gts top sitting on my car by this coming week. from there I will know how much room I gain over the stock soft top and other fitment issues. i will get 2 single piece ones built but it seems like I should prioritize the 3 piece from this feedback so i will have a funtional model with pics and details by this spring. keep in mind a 3 piece will be more expensive. mostly just due to fab time and I will build a different mold. thanks for the feedback now I will buy enough materials to make 2 right from the beginning. I will also make a deal with the first one to sell.. drop it to cost and the buyer can post his/her honest opinion on here for all to see. I want everyone that buys one to be impressed and happy and if I wouldn't put it on my own car i wouldn't sell it.

thanks for the feedback
J

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a broken 1994 soft top in my attic. The rear latches are in still in good shape. the front latches are from the 1995 roof I used to replace the original. I don't remember where the frame was broken.

1VprTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id be into the one piece with windows...
...maybe a 3 piece depending on how much more $ and how well the pieces fit.

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Carbon fiber is the way to go, my Northwind Engineering Top is carbon fiber, and let me tell you, it is light, and very easy to put on and take off, one man job, the sports bar doesn't need to be removed either, it also fits well with the NW sliders, which are lockable.

You must be registered for see images

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JPL, your top looks nice. And getting off-topic, what type of tiles are you using on your garage floor?

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm Very Interested!!

I like the double bubble one piece w/ windows. I'm still a big fan of the Autoform 1 piece, which I've always wanted to buy.

Let us know, can't wait to see your CF one piece, very cool!!

thx

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JPL, your top looks nice. And getting off-topic, what type of tiles are you using on your garage floor?

Thanks, they are Armstrong vct tiles, cheap & easy but tires will discolor the white tiles, no biggie, I'm pretty sure they can be cleaned off, worst case I will replace the discolored tiles:

You must be registered for see images attach

VenomGTR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
+1 if it looks good. Been thinking about buying an Autoform, but the Viper is in storage mode right now so I won't be in the market till next year anyway.

OP
OP
J

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I apologize but I have decided that I want to stick with the gts window shape instead of sqauring it for sliders. The lines are just better, to me the square slider windows are contrary to the whole essence of the viper and all its overall shape. Too much of an afterthought. I have some different ideas on the windows and opening them but there is still a bit of r&d for the windows. I realize this is very premature and a terrible picture since it was with my phone at 430 this morning but this is just so you can see the general shape, not fitment. Keep in mind I am building the mold from a gts top. None of the corners are where they need to be as well as the whole rear section.. There is still a lot of work to do on it but you'll get the basic idea.
You must be registered for see images attach

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously.... There is plenty of interest in a new supplier. R/T hardtops are in short supply!

I met a guy who recently bought a '96 W/B R/T... Trying to sell but no top..... He offered at 21k, I countered with 15.... (It's the one with the bent right front rim and damaged interior under the glove box...) No thanks! Seems like a good car otherwise.

VenomGTR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks really good! Loving the shape of the top so far, I definitely prefer the curvature of the GTS top and windows. Can't wait to see the finished product.

OP
OP
J

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys... not really much work in it yet just had to make a gts top line up which isnt hard.. but there are some exciting developments.. I will post when I can. Stay tuned...

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't wait to see your results. It was definitely an interesting request from that parts car and quite a challenging item to pull without destroying it. Good luck.

OP
OP
J

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update coming this weekend... stay tuned. :)