88.7 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 140

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It is an overflow bottle from the neck of the pressure bottle. It should be filled to halfway between the two marks when COLD, using a small funnel placed into the hose that one pulls off of the neck of the above mentioned pressure bottle (the one with the "radiator cap").

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just pulled the front plastic off my 94 and discovered
another coolant reservoir. is this the overflow catch or an extra
***? if it is the overflow why does it have the min max lines and
a fill cap?

Shane Crompton

I just found this out myself. Strange place to put it.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Remember this recent post:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/657203-Puddle-of-Anti-freeze-on-garage-floor

In which I stated:

"Big Dog, I find it most helpful to check the coolant level in both the pressure bottle under the hood and the overflow bottle in the nose before and after each use if you are only driving said Viper occasionally. If you are able to drive it regularly, then I would suggest that you check these things weekly as this cooling system has its own quirks...and, this can be a costly arena if neglected. I have met literally dozens of Gen I and II long term Viper owners ( and one self proclaimed "viper tech") who had no idea there was a bottle in the nose...let alone how it functions or should be inspected and/or serviced. Many of us have had to learn this the hard way."​

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The posts above tell it all. (But I will add my two cents anyway.)

The pressure bottle in the engine compartment is really only a place that the designers could fit the pressure control cap up high in the system since the radiator is very low and inaccessible The tank in the front bumper cover is extremely important for the operation of the system. It is not technically an "overflow" tank. It is part of the normally operating system where the expanded fluid goes to and comes back from when the system gets hot enough to open the pressure valve in the cap.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Discovered" this tank. LOL @ Dodge for letting this happen. I mean, read the owner's manual and see if you get the full picture on the Gen 1 / 2 cooling system.

Like I've said a bazillion times, that tank and the line to it, along with an appropriate level in said tank, are critical for keeping air out of the system. If you have an air bubble in your surge tank on the fenderwell all the time, then this tank is probably not working like it should.

Big Dog

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had this problem a month back my overflow bottle was cracked thanks to Steve-Indy who told me wher it was. I did not want to pull the front facia to replace so I purchased a overflow bottle from Advanced Auto and mounted it under the power brake booster and plumbed it in the system. Its so easy to see and service and solved my leakage and cooling problem