Modding an ACR

Reaction score
My list would be;

-Belanger headers AND HF cats
-Leave the stock catback if you want it kinda quiet for trips, if you can deal with a little more then of course the CORSA.
-Mopar PCM to take advantage of other mods and improve throttle response, eliminate the skip shift and an extra 100rpm adds power up top.
-MGW shifter for perfect crisp shifts every time.
-Woodhouse motor and trans mounts will help with throttle response and reduce wheel hop.
-Ported upper intake next it is worth 20+hp at the top end and pulls strong enough for you to actually feel it, relatively cheap bang for buck.
-Gear change to 3.55 gives you the feel of 50hp+ (in the 1-4 gears) and makes 6th more usable for your trips.

Bought 09 ACR 2 weeks ago and am enjoying it. I can never leave well enough alone though.

I am not looking to go crazy, just a few things i'd like to address.

Throttle response seems to be a little sluggish (could be in my head)

Not that the car doesn't have enough power, its just that factory cars always room to make them a little better.

I dont want to touch the motor just want to squeeze what I can with basic bolt ons.

What intake is best for the car? I've read there is no benefit to the bling K&N kit, is it even worth swapping the filter in the stock box?

What exhaust components make the most power? Worth swapping headers but not mufflers and cats? I'd like to get some power out of it, but not make it too loud that I can't road trip it.

At what point do I need to re-tune it? Will a better flowing intake exhaust require a tune?
You must be registered for see images attach

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't buy that. You will still loose control, just 0.8 seconds later.

That's too funny! After I sent my response/question on this I thought that, yes, maybe it is a good thing that the response isn't right there! I do get the picture that this beast will quickly lose grip with no TC. And, yes, 0.8 seconds you could be losing it just as easily.

OP
OP
R

robiferretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My list would be;

-Belanger headers AND HF cats
-Leave the stock catback if you want it kinda quiet for trips, if you can deal with a little more then of course the CORSA.
-Mopar PCM to take advantage of other mods and improve throttle response, eliminate the skip shift and an extra 100rpm adds power up top.
-MGW shifter for perfect crisp shifts every time.
-Woodhouse motor and trans mounts will help with throttle response and reduce wheel hop.
-Ported upper intake next it is worth 20+hp at the top end and pulls strong enough for you to actually feel it, relatively cheap bang for buck.
-Gear change to 3.55 gives you the feel of 50hp+ (in the 1-4 gears) and makes 6th more usable for your trips.

Very useful. Whats the HP sacrifice between the stock Catback vs the corsa upgrade?

I am assuming the cars dyno in the 540-550 range stock. I'ld like to just bring it up to around 600 rwhp. Would I need the ported intake to reach that mark?

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am assuming the cars dyno in the 540-550 range stock. I'ld like to just bring it up to around 600 rwhp. Would I need the ported intake to reach that mark?

My car dynoed 545 stock and 575 with the mods listed above, without the ported intake. So, Yes you would need the ported intake to get close to the 600 hp mark, and even possibly the Corsa catback for another 10 hp or so.

Reaction score
There is a few HP more with the CORSA, but not a deal breaker if you want it more tame, the most I've seen is 4-8hp, but every dyno is a bit different. If you want to get to 600+ you will have to do the heads and everything else listed power wise. The ACRX headers have shown more top end power, but on my car I had the Belangers and made over 600, plus my seat of the pants always felt the Belangers were better for most driving conditions, but I'm sure there will be plenty of people here that think I'm a wack job for saying that. I can tell you though I never lost a roll race with any ARH equipped Viper so I feel I made the best choice for me anyway.

Very useful. Whats the HP sacrifice between the stock Catback vs the corsa upgrade?

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my seat of the pants always felt the Belangers were better for most driving conditions, but I'm sure there will be plenty of people here that think I'm a wack job for saying that. I can tell you though I never lost a roll race with any ARH equipped Viper so I feel I made the best choice for me anyway.

That Mark is such a whack job, it's ridiculous.

:D

Seriously, thanks for all your insights here on the forum, you guys are all right...

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I'll probably do the K&N Typhoon intake kit too.

Waste of money imo. Just buy a K&N filter for the stock intake and get the closeout panel that Arrow sells. The stock airbox is already a "cold air intake".

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a few HP more with the CORSA, but not a deal breaker if you want it more tame, the most I've seen is 4-8hp, but every dyno is a bit different. If you want to get to 600+ you will have to do the heads and everything else listed power wise. The ACRX headers have shown more top end power, but on my car I had the Belangers and made over 600, plus my seat of the pants always felt the Belangers were better for most driving conditions, but I'm sure there will be plenty of people here that think I'm a wack job for saying that. I can tell you though I never lost a roll race with any ARH equipped Viper so I feel I made the best choice for me anyway.

Mark,

Never lost a roll-on? Dude you've never run up against one of our clients Viper's..:D

If your not so impressed with our factory installed =BAD BOYZZ SERIES= ACR-X Headers, then you might be interested in our new header soon to hit the market shorlty. They'll be our BBG brand built right here at home base, Sacramento, Calif. Our new Evolution-R Seriers G5 header takes header technology for the Viper to a whole new level and is built as a high end no compromise solution with maximum HP/Trq gains in mind.. Mark however does bring up a intersting point though, the Tri-y design hits a tuned power band unlike the 5 into 1 merge design which is more linear and will make substaintially more power as the rpms hit..

Back to the topic (Modding an ACR): Here's a short list out of our parts bin and congrats on your new ACR, it looks pretty sick!!
:ACR-X Race Headers
:ACR-X Race Mufflers
:BBG Comp-R Viper Cylinder Head & Intake Manifold (ARP Head Bolts, Competiton Pushrods, Custom Valve Springs and more)
:ACR-X Clutch kit & Comp HRB Slave Cylinder
:Venom Controller
:Rear Diff (3.33 / 3.54 / 3.73 / 4.10)

All in good fun, Mark and I are Buds I think..?

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE
Toddy Gomez
(916) 505-9026
[email protected]

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

Last edited:

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Headers and exhaust do make a very noticable differance on gen 4's. With the record at the Texas mile and one of the fastest quarter mile times our headers do work. We are building a all out ACR now that will have a new designed set. The pcm will help with the delay but will still be there. I get use to it after a few hundred miles.

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know on my dyno the stock tune took a dump around the vvt coming in, but Im not sure any of these cars get 540-550 at the rear wheels bone stock. I would like to see more dynos numbers. That is only a 8-10 percent drive train loss. Bench racing numbers dont matter as much as real world performance and what your going to do with the car. At what point does reliability come into play?

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I know on my dyno the stock tune took a dump around the vvt coming in, but Im not sure any of these cars get 540-550 at the rear wheels bone stock. I would like to see more dynos numbers. That is only a 8-10 percent drive train loss. Bench racing numbers dont matter as much as real world performance and what your going to do with the car. At what point does reliability come into play?

My 09 dyno'd @ 553 rwhp bone stock and as Hou99gts said, his 09 ACR put down 556. It's a good bet that the Gen 4's are underated by about 20-25 crank hp stock. Especially when you compare the 0 to 160 mph times vs a ZR1. I was also under the impression that 12% drivetrain loss was the norm for these cars.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I personally observed two Gen4's dyno 540 at the wheels bone stock.

cerveza v10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Headers and exhaust do make a very noticable differance on gen 4's. With the record at the Texas mile and one of the fastest quarter mile times our headers do work. We are building a all out ACR now that will have a new designed set. The pcm will help with the delay but will still be there. I get use to it after a few hundred miles.

M&M Headers on track performance can speak for itself.... The fit and finish is great!!!! I cant wait to try the new design....
Everyone has given great advice on the best mods to do.....

Last edited:

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My recent dyno stock gen 4 acr is 539 at wheels unadjusted and 527 sae adjusted on a dyno jet. 18000km on motor at time of dyno.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,
Learn to drive faster then it wont feel sluggish.

IMCgrew79- My car is bone stock and dynod 545 to rear wheels on a dynojet

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Merge Headers
Ported Intake
Ported heads
VVT cam upgrade
Forged Pistons
Air oil bypass tank
Colder plugs
MP Controller
McLeod Clutch
High durometer trans mount
MGW Shifter
OS Giken Differential
3.21 gears
Penske Suspension
Monoball control arms
Adjustable bar links
Brembo GTR Brakes
Rollbar
6 Points

Embarrass all the other exotics

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have nothing to add but if and when you get tired of that car or you want to move up to a Gen V give me a call. I would be extremely interested in it as that is my drop dead favorite paint scheme.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Merge Headers
Ported Intake
Ported heads
VVT cam upgrade*****
Forged Pistons
Air oil bypass tank
Colder plugs
MP Controller
McLeod Clutch
High durometer trans mount
MGW Shifter
OS Giken Differential
3.21 gears
Penske Suspension
Monoball control arms
Adjustable bar links
Brembo GTR Brakes
Rollbar
6 Points

Embarrass all the other exotics

I haven't heard about a VVT cam replacement. What is involved? Could you elaborate a little more...?

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,
all is well here I hope the same over there . Nice car best of luck with it. I wouldn’tchange a thing. Drive it and get used to the throttle by wire. I wouldn’t touchthe brakes they are absolutely amazing. I can give you the right set up on thebrake pads and alignment if you want. Trust me they are the best brakes youhave ever used. The ACR really comes alive on the track. Nothing can touch ourstock cars out there.
My car bone stock(except pads with used Hoosiers runs:
2 minutes flat at the Glen (Old front Hoosiers)
1:29 at NJMP Thunderbolt with chicane
2:30 at Monticello ( Rear Hoosiers shot)

Let me know if you are around we can meet up

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't heard about a VVT cam replacement. What is involved? Could you elaborate a little more...?

Mike,

I thought Dan and I were friends? Read the same thing this morning. Hell, he did my heads and intake plus a ton of other stuff. Maybe he lost my number?? Or maybe my check bounced after his roadside assistance? Hope all is well. Mike

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,
all is well here I hope the same over there . Nice car best of luck with it. I wouldn’tchange a thing. Drive it and get used to the throttle by wire. I wouldn’t touchthe brakes they are absolutely amazing. I can give you the right set up on thebrake pads and alignment if you want. Trust me they are the best brakes youhave ever used. The ACR really comes alive on the track. Nothing can touch ourstock cars out there.
My car bone stock(except pads with used Hoosiers runs:
2 minutes flat at the Glen (Old front Hoosiers)
1:29 at NJMP Thunderbolt with chicane
2:30 at Monticello ( Rear Hoosiers shot)

Let me know if you are around we can meet up

Steve is being very modest. While the car is great his skill level is far beyong most mortals.
He keeps up with pro drivers in ACR-X's for chriss sakes....:)

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon - very nice of you to say but you arejust being over flattering to everyone including me since buying your Lambo :)