Improving Look of My Engine Compartment (Pic)

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know, I know...to some, this is not important. But, just had my car in car show and pretty sure where I didn't score all that well was in the engine compartment. I do plan to show the car some next year and would like to improve this area if I can. I do plan to changes spark plug wires to red when I do my upcoming maintenance.

I've done all I could to detail, but still (to me) its a yawn! Added whatever MGW parts were available, billet dipstick handle, breather cap, also have red smooth tubes, but that's about it...MGW doesn't offer much. Have done searches, but only find stick-on chrome pieces, which are cheap looking to me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Any suggestions or know of other parts?

Thanks!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can't tell from your pic, but if you have a sneaky pete hood pad, painting him and adding graphics looks custom

Last edited:

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Polish up the Sneaky Pete and VIPER on the rocker covers.

Add a stuffed animal. Folks love stuffed animals at car shows.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. Plus there's the fun of removing the burned remains and wiping away the soot before the next car show. And buying a replacement stuffed animal that is wearing a nomex costume.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A silver/aluminum magic marker is fast & easy & it actually lasts (it doesn't burn off & isn't as messy as painting) to touch up the valve covers! And, to me the chrome smooth tubes give it a lil' more of a custom look. jmo

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get your side sills repainted. Looks like you have 2 big places where the paint has chipped off. ;)

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Many car show judges may not be Viper experts. When you show your car it will help the judges if you have Judges Guide beside the car. Do not write an essay just tell the judges in point form what has been custom fabricated ( they like that better than what was bought off a shelf), what has been chromed or polished from stock etc. If you have a good picture of a stock engine I would include it to show the difference . A few years ago I successfully showed a car on the ISCA indoor car show circuit and one of the most important items was that the car had to be surgically clean and detailed, every part should be painted, polished or chromed.
Good luck at the next show.

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For starters, swap out that fugly intake for a Gen 3 intake and then install a Paxton.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, your engine looks great....nothing like a SC to improve the look (and obviously performance) of your engine.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

- I know about the side sills, just haven't gotten around to having them redone.
- Good suggestion on the silver/aluminum marker, will try that out. Have tried polishing the ribs, logo and Viper letters but it never looked all that good and didn't last.
- Love to buy a SC, but that is never going to happen in my house with two small kids!
- A Viper Judging Guide is an interesting idea, have to try that one
- I have to check on the hood pad...I think it has Sneaky Pete. I will think about painting...one reason I didn't yet, is that if it doesn't come out well you basically ruined the pad and the look of the engine compartment
- I do like the chrome/red smooth tubes, but seems like it would create turbulance like the originals where the Chrome piece meets with the two small red hoses on each side. Am I wrong about that or, does it really not mean much?

All good suggestions...will make my To Do list for the winter and get started.

I am also planning to change the valve cover bolts to stainless steel cap screws to improve the look. (like Dave's)

Thanks very much for taking time to help out!

Peter

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hood pad for sure. Real easy to do, just take your time and put on multiple coats of paint. I used hi temp caliper paint.

IMG_0349.JPG

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMB Powdercoat intake adds much more visual interest than the stock airbox and smooth tubes. Functional, too.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool!

SFM - your hood pad looks great, I also think Dave did his as well. Someone (maybe Dave) posted a how to....have to look it up.
Blacksnake - the intake looks good and is a nice upgrade. But, did read that its performance is not as good with a stock motor (which is what I have)
ACELL - Yellow powder coating looks great, but doesn't work well with red car....red just looks like redone stock, not as eye catching, but am considering. Do like Dave's slick powder coating...really shines! Also, the stainless braided lines IMHO, look really good. Want to do mine, just not sure how to go about doing it. Are there kits for the Viper or is it a measure and order (from Summit or the like) to get it done. Always a little uncomfortable about the measure and order, in case I don't measure exactly right!

Again, thanks for the suggestions....they really are great!

Oh, I did find Sneaky Pete chrome covers for the power steering, brake master cylinder and anti-freeze tank caps at the Viper Store.

Dodge Viper (1992-2002) Universal Chrome Metal Cap Cover with 3-D Viper Head
Fits most all caps in your engine compartment!

Really Dresses up your engine compartment!
Chrome metal cap cover for any engine component. Fastens on top of stock cap with Velcro. Includes metal 3-D raised Viper head logo on top. 2.75" inner diameter.
Fits most all cap sizes in your engine compartment. Fixes to the top of your existing cap. Easy to install or remove.
Includes one (1) cap cover.
NOTE: It does not fit the Radiator Cap with filler tube.

What do you think....good addition or just tacky?

Last edited:

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tacky, plus it wouldn't fit your p/s cap due to the vent ******. Have you replaced your p/s bracket and p/s pullet with IPSCO pieces? That gives it a little pop.

Why not look at powdercoating the intake and rocker covers? That would really make the engine pop.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, tacky....kinda thought that.

On my list, billet PS bracket and pulley.

On the powdercoating, two things....cost (bad year this year) and I was trying to keep to original so have been looking for valve covers that are in nice original shape with little or no pitting!

Need to continue, cleaning and/or painting some of the pieces black that have surface rusted from "growing up" in Palm Beach! Have done a lot, still have a bunch of pieces to go.

Clearly, I'm nit picking, as the engine compartment looks pretty good....just not good enough to score well in a show.

I was hoping MGW would have offered more billet pieces....either billet cap (like their oil filler cap) or nice covers for the caps like their dipstick handle cover (allen screw to secure). But, asked them and they don't seem interested. I don't agree with them, as there are lots of Gen 1/2's that would probably benefit from that stuff.

Thanks!

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To continue the thread, just picked up stainless cap screws to replace the dull looking valve cover torx bolts. I see them used quite often to add to the clean look of the engine. Also matches the others I've already changed.

There are a number of pieces that would look nice in billet, but seems MGW not interested in expanding their offerings for Gen II (I) Vipers. I have seen some nice billet stuff from another vendor, but only for Gen III/IV cars. Asked if they would consider offering for Gen II, they declined.

I think there is more that can be done to a basically stock motor, to make it more show quality...but the parts just aren't offered. I'm not a fan of all that stick on chrome stuff, but do like the look of billet/stainless.

If you've come across anything, would appreciate any leads you may have.

Thanks!

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes less is moore....Does it really matter what the judges think about your car? Just go to a trophy store and buy a bunch of your own trophies and bring them to the next show to intimidate the "judges" and to wake them up. Remeber you there to have fun not to take seriously like a full time job...Your engine is there to perform not to be judged by some "judges", really?
If you really want to impress them, have your entire engine gold plated.:dunno:

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes less is moore....Does it really matter what the judges think about your car?...Your engine is there to perform not to be judged by some "judges", really?

I like my engine looking purty (don't really care about what anybody else thinks, judges included). I'm going to have this viper for 30+ more years. I like the idea of adding some billet items.

Reaction score
To continue the thread, just picked up stainless cap screws to replace the dull looking valve cover torx bolts. I see them used quite often to add to the clean look of the engine. Also matches the others I've already changed.

There are a number of pieces that would look nice in billet, but seems MGW not interested in expanding their offerings for Gen II (I) Vipers. I have seen some nice billet stuff from another vendor, but only for Gen III/IV cars. Asked if they would consider offering for Gen II, they declined.

I think there is more that can be done to a basically stock motor, to make it more show quality...but the parts just aren't offered. I'm not a fan of all that stick on chrome stuff, but do like the look of billet/stainless.

If you've come across anything, would appreciate any leads you may have.

Thanks!

if there is something you want done under the hood in billet or so forth, shoot me a pm or a email, or call if you like, and let me see what we can do,, we do alot of billet items, I'll do what I can sir

thanks

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dennis> It isn't that I show the car alot and care much what the judges think, it is more about what I think. I felt the engine compartment looked pretty good, spent a number of hours detailing it for the show. I guess I was disappointed that it didn't get a better score....but, I'm not going to go out and spend a ton on the engine just for a show here and there. I do like the look of billet or stainless pieces, as I feel that add to the look without being in your face like chrome has a tendency to do. But, yes, for the record I do want to show the car some more.

I have added all the billet engine pieces that i know about - Oil cap and dipstick handle from MGW and billet airbox knobs from Dave's Big Brakes. I do know about the power steering bracket and pulley, just haven't gotten to it yet.

I have read some good suggestions here and am incorporating them as I can.

I want the car to look as good as it can for me and I just feel the engine compartment just isn't there yet.

Tony, thanks for the offer. I did find a few billet pieces that were offered for Gen III/Gen IV and will let you know when I find them again...but I think one was a billet master cylinder cap, very similar to the oil cap offered by MGW (Sneaky Pete design).

Here is a page from Billet Technology's offerings for the Dodge Challenger:
http://www.custombilletstore.com/category_s/136.htm

And, here is a picture of a radiator cap:

Similar pieces would be nice for master cylinder cap, washer fluid cap (see Billet Technologies page), etc.

Clearly, this is not for everyone....but I do like the look of billet as long as it's used tastefully,

Anyway, thanks all!

Last edited: