K&N Typhoon air tubes

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can the 8.4L Viper engine get too much air from high flow filters? Just wondering why on these 3" intake tubes on the K&N filter for Gen4 cars, there is a metal plate welded to the inside that sticks out about 1-1/2" or so into the tube. Seems to be counter productive with adding a high flow CAI. And if air flow is not an issue, why are these inside the tubes?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know about the metal plate, but K&N has their own in house dyno, and they use those results to maximize performance gains.

Independent testing however has not shown major gains in HP as the stock intake flows pretty well.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know about the metal plate, but K&amp;N has their own in house dyno, and they use those results to maximize performance gains.<br><br>Independent testing however has not shown major gains in HP as the stock intake flows pretty well.

I run the K&N's on my 09, and they are very well made, fit well, look great and seem to perform well. Nice dress up item for the engine compartment.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The metal plate looks like it is made to direct air to the air flow sensor, maybe because the stock sensor is calibrated to sense a certain volume of air based on the tube diameter of the stock tube, so this is maybe K&N's way of getting around having the car think it has the right amount of air. It would probably be a better design to use a stock diameter tube where the sensor is and just cone down to that area from the bigger filter opening versus creating a disturbance/ blockage the way they did.

Most of those dyno numbers you read about form cold air kit manufacturers are suspect anyways, there is a reason that K&N owns the cold air division of AEM now, and its not because they bought them, I heard they "won" them as a settlement for fudges dyno numbers.

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Metal plate? Are you talking about the mass airflow sensor?

The plate sits in front of the air sensors on both tubes. That is why I asked if you can get too much air in the engine. Seems the air would flow at a much higher, smoother rate with the plates removed. I mean, their whole claim to other filter systems is smooth air tubes and then on this system, they place metal plates that block air flow.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
CAI dyno numbers and real world street numbers are two completely different things.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CAI dyno numbers and real world street numbers are two completely different things.

I have seen dyno claims showing both for and against the K&N CAI on the 08-10. But I would like to see real world results to these claims.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen dyno claims showing both for and against the K&N CAI on the 08-10. But I would like to see real world results to these claims.

Mine is not K&N (but RSI/Spectre). 345's-bspinnin installed my xMetal TB and CAI on his Greg Good head/cam motor, and gained ~30HP and also gained torgue, on my basically stock motor, gain = 0 to diddly squat (both Gen III's).

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed to plates and am going for a drive. We'll see if anything changes or feels different.

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive today was 118 miles back roads. Got to really "air" the car out. At first, the computer wasn't adjusted for the extra air flow or I should say maybe lack of air flow. The tubes are a little over 3" ID. I think the plate is there to channel or compress the air flow over the sensor at a 2-1/2"ID rate, like OEM tubes. I think Steve is right on this, but the computer will adjust. When I would punch it, the engine would bog a little at first. Talk about drive by wire throttle delay:crazy2:!!! After about 30 minutes or so of low to high speed pedal to the floor, it seemed to go away. I was doing 40 to 100 runs in 3rd and some in 4th and no issues. SOTP feel, maybe a little?? I'll see if the dyno shows any improvements. I've done two with this set up so will be interesting to see if there is anymore power.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive today was 118 miles back roads. Got to really "air" the car out. At first, the computer wasn't adjusted for the extra air flow or I should say maybe lack of air flow. The tubes are a little over 3" ID. I think the plate is there to channel or compress the air flow over the sensor at a 2-1/2"ID rate, like OEM tubes. I think Steve is right on this, but the computer will adjust. When I would punch it, the engine would bog a little at first. Talk about drive by wire throttle delay:crazy2:!!! After about 30 minutes or so of low to high speed pedal to the floor, it seemed to go away. I was doing 40 to 100 runs in 3rd and some in 4th and no issues. SOTP feel, maybe a little?? I'll see if the dyno shows any improvements. I've done two with this set up so will be interesting to see if there is anymore power.

Murray,

I bet what is happening is it is technically sensing less air so it is running your engine lean, which will make it bog at tip in/low throttle and could potentially make more power (depending on the A/F ratio) at higher RPM, it could also cause some detonation , but your car should sense that and dial back the spark if that is the case