Option Page Updated

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It now includes the so sought-after carbon fiber exterior/interior options with pricing.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
imagine the cost of a Stryker Red GTS fully optioned with the carbon fiber package.

Bruce

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The aftermarket should capitalize on this in a hurry. Half price is doable.

And hell, if all you want is the CF look, buy a roll of CF vinyl!

I'd be curious to see the weight savings. Probably be cheaper for most to lose 30 pounds of weight in their stomach :smirk:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$150K for a Viper GTS in Shadow Blue with Silver Stripes, Track Pack, all Carbon Fiber options except for Aero, Upgraded Tan Interior, Upgraded Stereo, etc., etc. full load BEFORE Tax. I am sorry but that is beyond excessive for a Viper. You can buy a used Scuderia with very low miles for $15K to $20K more and it will still be worth what you paid 15 minutes after driving it. Might even find a used no option Ford GT for that price too which will hold it's vaue as well.

This is very, very dangerous territory for the Viper. These costs are basically one off prices or options, not a big three manufacturer cost. It better bury any ZR1 numbers for performance or it will not look good for the future of this car.

Sorry I really like the new GEN V but for the kind of Viper I would be looking at and be happy with, the price range places it in some very interesting company on an established use exotic car market.

Having seen the mules a few times and sat in them, I can tell you that unless you are ordering the top of the line Leather option, you are not going to be making comparisons to others with high end leather. On the SRT, just like the Jeep SRT8, on the previous plastic dash areas now covered with material, the material is one step above pleather. To say I was disappointed, is an understatement. Dangerous, dangerous territory. Having gone through this recession, today's car buyer is much, much smarter and less willing to just lose money on purchases.

These prices are beyond scary!

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$150K for a Viper GTS in Shadow Blue with Silver Stripes, Track Pack, all Carbon Fiber options except for Aero, Upgraded Tan Interior, Upgraded Stereo, etc., etc. full load BEFORE Tax. I am sorry but that is beyond excessive for a Viper. You can buy a used Scuderia with very low miles for $15K to $20K more and it will still be worth what you paid 15 minutes after driving it. Might even find a used no option Ford GT for that price too which will hold it's vaue as well.

This is very, very dangerous territory for the Viper. These costs are basically one off prices or options, not a big three manufacturer cost. It better bury any ZR1 numbers for performance or it will not look good for the future of this car.

Sorry I really like the new GEN V but for the kind of Viper I would be looking at and be happy with, the price range places it in some very interesting company on an established use exotic car market.

Having seen the mules a few times and sat in them, I can tell you that unless you are ordering the top of the line Leather option, you are not going to be making comparisons to others with high end leather. On the SRT, just like the Jeep SRT8, on the previous plastic dash areas now covered with material, the material is one step above pleather. To say I was disappointed, is an understatement. Dangerous, dangerous territory. Having gone through this recession, today's car buyer is much, much smarter and less willing to just lose money on purchases.

These prices are beyond scary!

I think if anything - if you are concerned about resale value - choose your options intelligently. I think you'll be eating a lot of resale value if you grab everything.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the Stryker Red option will be a part of some sort of package, just like the launch edition

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, here is probably what would be a common example of most GTS orders if they were to get all the options (this is before someone chooses stryker red).

GTS Blue w/ Black Stripes
$120,395.00 Base Price
$1,995.00 Destination Fee
$1,000.00 GTS Blue
$5,000.00 Black Venom Stripes
$5,100.00 Exterior Carbon Fiber Package
$4,800.00 Carbon Fiber Aero Package
$1,000.00 Premium Audio System
$350.00 Header Red Seat Belts
$4,000.00 Trak Pak w/ Matte Black Sidewinder II Wheels
$7,500.00 GTS Laguna Interior Package
$3,400.00 Carbon Fiber Interior Package
$154,540.00 Subtotal
$9,658.75 Sales Tax - 6.25% (Texas)
$2,600.00 Gas Guzzler Tax
$166,798.75 Grand Total

Seriously, no bashing or drama intended....Are people really going to pay this? Don't even try to use the base model as an example. I built what would be my choice of Viper for a base model below.

$97,395.00 Base Price
$1,000.00 Race Yellow
$2,995.00 Premium Audio System
$3,500.00 Trak Pak w/ Hyper Black Sidewinder II Wheels
$2,500.00 Grand Touring Package
$122,685.00 Subtotal
$7,667.81 Sales Tax (Texas)
$132,952.81 Grand Total

That is without the fancy seats that I'd do aftermarket anyways. Wow is all I can say. We will know if it works around the end of 2014. I expect the first year to sell decently well, but we shall see if it continues. I guess the craziest part is thinking that Stryker Red will have made someone spend over $175k all said and done on a new Viper that didn't have a dealer mark-up on it. Again, wow is all I can say.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Problem with carbon is that every high school kid has his ricer decked out in fake carbon. Its so common that it makes real carbon look fake. Even makes a $400K Lambo look cheap, IMO. It must be used exactly right in order to look good.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is the buyers option if you want all the goodies.

Most every other higher end car has option packages that can add +/-50% to the base price car.

Check out the option list on porsche, lambo, bentley, mercedes. Most even have a higher performance package line M, AMG, SRT, etc that also are very pricey.

Most of the people that think the Viper is pricey, are comparing it to the much more basic previous generations of Viper.

If you compare it to other cars of equilivent performance and styling, it is still a relative bargain.

Kind of makes me appreciate how much bang for the buck you got with earlier Vipers. (and noticed how much people complained at the same time).

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is the buyers option if you want all the goodies.

Most every other higher end car has option packages that can add +/-50% to the base price car.

Check out the option list on porsche, lambo, bentley, mercedes. Most even have a higher performance package line M, AMG, SRT, etc that also are very pricey.

Most of the people that think the Viper is pricey, are comparing it to the much more basic previous generations of Viper.

If you compare it to other cars of equilivent performance and styling, it is still a relative bargain.

Kind of makes me appreciate how much bang for the buck you got with earlier Vipers. (and noticed how much people complained at the same time).

Just because other brands do it could be the worst excuse ever...

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because other brands do it could be the worst excuse ever...

It's not an excuse at all, SRT is offering more options just like other manufacturers. If you don't like the options, you can OPT to not order them. But I agree with what Paul Hawker said that the prices for these options are in-line for what they cost on other cars. Overall the GTS is still a great value compared to its competitors.

OP
OP
S

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I said before in another thread, we are now in the Ferrari-thinking club :rolleyes:

Though some of the analysis up here scared me!!!! I have to sacrifice some options now :(

Last edited:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not an excuse at all, SRT is offering more options just like other manufacturers. If you don't like the options, you can OPT to not order them. But I agree with what Paul Hawker said that the prices for these options are in-line for what they cost on other cars. Overall the GTS is still a great value compared to its competitors.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Either car is gonna be a good value. Dodge/SRT listened to us (Viper Nation) about what we wanted to see in the new car and now that it's here. Now that we have more options/choices then ever before. More power then ever before. The lightest Viper ever produced. A world class interior with fit and finish never before seen on our cars...people are complaining about the cost of it? The Viper can't stay at $80/90K (base) forever. It's gonna go up in price. As i've always said about the viper..."Theres no better bang for the buck." I'm really hoping I will have a GEN V in my driveway here in the not too distant future. I optioned out a car that I would want and yea it made me gasp a bit but again...no better value around. I will get the car I want. I will find a way to make it happen.

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys. The operative word is, options. You can choose whether to purchase them or not based on price. I doubt there will be many who tick the box for each and every option. I'm sure there will be a few who do, but they will be the exception. Recently, I read a review for a '13 911 Cab. The MSRP for the car as tested was around $160K with options, and the base price is well below that range. You all know options can be pricy, but many of them don't make the car any faster. They are merely for aesthetics (i.e. interior/exterior carbon, upscale interior, upgraded stereo etc.). However, it's also very nice to have the options if you want them.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the words right out of my mouth. Either car is gonna be a good value. Dodge/SRT listened to us (Viper Nation) about what we wanted to see in the new car and now that it's here. Now that we have more options/choices then ever before. More power then ever before. The lightest Viper ever produced. A world class interior with fit and finish never before seen on our cars...people are complaining about the cost of it? The Viper can't stay at $80/90K (base) forever. It's gonna go up in price. As i've always said about the viper..."Theres no better bang for the buck." I'm really hoping I will have a GEN V in my driveway here in the not too distant future. I optioned out a car that I would want and yea it made me gasp a bit but again...no better value around. I will get the car I want. I will find a way to make it happen.

You're right and I agree that it is still the best value, but I just feel it is a little lame to point at Porsche and say well they do it too. Keep in mind, the posts from a few months back that said a Viper was going to be $137k and the few posts that said over $150k had everyone up in arms. Now that it is a reality, everyone is okay with it.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, here is probably what would be a common example of most GTS orders if they were to get all the options (this is before someone chooses stryker red).

GTS Blue w/ Black Stripes
$120,395.00 Base Price
$1,000.00 GTS Blue
$5,000.00 Black Venom Stripes
$1,000.00 Premium Audio System
$350.00 Header Red Seat Belts
$4,000.00 Trak Pak w/ Matte Black Sidewinder II Wheels
$7,500.00 GTS Laguna Interior Package
$154,540.00 Subtotal
$9,658.75 Sales Tax - 6.25% (Texas)
$166,798.75 Grand Total

Seriously, no bashing or drama intended....Are people really going to pay this? Don't even try to use the base model as an example. I built what would be my choice of Viper for a base model below.

$97,395.00 Base Price
$1,000.00 Race Yellow
$2,995.00 Premium Audio System
$3,500.00 Trak Pak w/ Hyper Black Sidewinder II Wheels
$2,500.00 Grand Touring Package
$122,685.00 Subtotal
$7,667.81 Sales Tax (Texas)
$132,952.81 Grand Total

That is without the fancy seats that I'd do aftermarket anyways. Wow is all I can say. We will know if it works around the end of 2014. I expect the first year to sell decently well, but we shall see if it continues. I guess the craziest part is thinking that Stryker Red will have made someone spend over $175k all said and done on a new Viper that didn't have a dealer mark-up on it. Again, wow is all I can say.

Don't forget another $20k on Mopar accys such as suspension, x brace, engine covers, sill covers, pedals, headers, exhaust, etc etc. LOL

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard that there would be lots of pricing options before, and the price 'all in' is pretty jaw dropping.

That being said, everyone has to consider the following:
1. The Viper was cancelled. Kaput. Dead. 2011 and 2012 was no production. Even before that, the Gen IVs sold poorly (of course the financial crisis and bailouts didn't help). The new Viper couldn't continue on the same business model and expect to survive.
2. The Viper is extremely low production compared to other cars (Gen I through Gen IV) for the pricing.
3. The Gen V Viper cannot just be a loss leader halo car anymore. It has to report it's own profit or loss.
4. As usual, the budget for the Viper development is a shoe string compared to other manufacturers.

Given the above constraints, it can't be 'business as usual' any longer for the Vipers. The Viper Nation alone isn't enough to support the ongoing development of the Gen V forwards. This means SRT needs to increase their market, margins and profits for the Gen V going forward. If people want these options enough they're going to pay for it.

It's the P-car model. You can order 911s and Boxster 'strippers' all day long but their profits are all made on the upgrades to the basic cars. Compare new to new and the Vipers are pretty competitive still, but with the options they can afford to branch out and make some margin as well as get the buyers who want to check off everything they want.

The biggest strength of the Viper has always been 'bang for the buck'...it still has it on the base cars, but unless the Viper was moving in volume it was always a thin business case, except as a halo vehicle. The SRT is awesome for the previous Generation of buyers who are looking for value and performance...kind of odd that the Viper has always had rarity, exclusivity but lots of people always knocked it for not being prestigious enough. Now Ralph et al are looking to add that third leg to the equation since the first two were always there.

Maybe in 2020 the previous edition Vipers will be seen as classic and watershed cars like older Ferraris and Porsches instead of just 'used cars'.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard that there would be lots of pricing options before, and the price 'all in' is pretty jaw dropping.

That being said, everyone has to consider the following:
1. The Viper was cancelled. Kaput. Dead. 2011 and 2012 was no production. Even before that, the Gen IVs sold poorly (of course the financial crisis and bailouts didn't help). The new Viper couldn't continue on the same business model and expect to survive.
2. The Viper is extremely low production compared to other cars (Gen I through Gen IV) for the pricing.
3. The Gen V Viper cannot just be a loss leader halo car anymore. It has to report it's own profit or loss.
4. As usual, the budget for the Viper development is a shoe string compared to other manufacturers.

Given the above constraints, it can't be 'business as usual' any longer for the Vipers. The Viper Nation alone isn't enough to support the ongoing development of the Gen V forwards. This means SRT needs to increase their market, margins and profits for the Gen V going forward. If people want these options enough they're going to pay for it.

It's the P-car model. You can order 911s and Boxster 'strippers' all day long but their profits are all made on the upgrades to the basic cars. Compare new to new and the Vipers are pretty competitive still, but with the options they can afford to branch out and make some margin as well as get the buyers who want to check off everything they want.

The biggest strength of the Viper has always been 'bang for the buck'...it still has it on the base cars, but unless the Viper was moving in volume it was always a thin business case, except as a halo vehicle. The SRT is awesome for the previous Generation of buyers who are looking for value and performance...kind of odd that the Viper has always had rarity, exclusivity but lots of people always knocked it for not being prestigious enough. Now Ralph et al are looking to add that third leg to the equation since the first two were always there.

Maybe in 2020 the previous edition Vipers will be seen as classic and watershed cars like older Ferraris and Porsches instead of just 'used cars'.

Well said.