Blue GTS on order!

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

New member here, longtime Viper fan. I've always dreamed of owning one, and finally saved my pennies to make it a reality. I've been a car guy all my life. I recently sold a beautiful black Challenger SRT8. My first car was a '70 'Cuda with a forged 383 Magnum and a little nitrous for good measure. Enough about me, you want to hear about the car!

GTS Blue Pearl
Silver stripes
Track package with Hyper Black Sidewinder II's
Black Nappa interior

I had tried to order Stryker Red, but my dealer was unable to get one. He said that they're all allocated this year, but may be available again when the next round of ordering occurs in February 2013. Truth is, I was nervous about that paint- if you damage it, you have to repaint the whole car. Supplier says it's virtually impossible to match one quarter panel. Rumor has it that pricing will be over $12K+. And heck, I love the GTS Blue Pearl with silver stripes, so I'm not dissappointed.

-Todd

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I paid MSRP. My local dealer was really cool. He said if I'm a Viper Club of America member, he'd sell it to me at MSRP. So I joined the forum, and I'm waiting on my VIN to become a full member.

By the way, I got the last one that he was allocated for this year, and he tells me a lot of other dealers are also all sold out. So if anyone out there is thinking about getting one, you'd better buy it now or you may have to wait until February to order.

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Todd!

When is the delivery scheduled?

Thanks!

No firm delivery, but probably February or March according to the dealer. Here's what the factory will build first, before they start building everyone else's:
*60 dealer demo cars: They can't sell these for 6 months
*150 Launch Edition Vipers

I'm okay with them building 200+ Vipers beforehand, hopefully they'll work out any bugs in the manufacturing by the time mine is built.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what the factory will build first, before they start building everyone else's:
*60 dealer demo cars: They can't sell these for 6 months
*150 Launch Edition Vipers

That is good info.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your order! I can't wait to see pictures of it because that's the same color scheme I'm going to order! I have to wait till Feb. for my order because I want the carbon fiber packages.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I may wrap it in Matte Orange as well :D

We shall see, I can't wait. Those 80hr weeks pay off!

Whoah 80hrs/week you exceeded my 74hrs/week, I'm sure you'll enjoy the rewards of your hard efforts ;)

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to VCA, and congrats on your Blue GTS. I have one too, but it's a little older than yours.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heard a rumor it's about $20k on a base SRT. Is the $10k number accurate?

I in no way buy a $20k over invoice for the Viper from MSRP. The ZR1 sees a $7k over invoice markup with no add ons. The 911 turbo enjoys a $14,000 over invoice for MSRP.

Now, is SRT itself enjoying a hefty profit? After all the R&D, I'd assume so.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I in no way buy a $20k over invoice for the Viper from MSRP. The ZR1 sees a $7k over invoice markup with no add ons. The 911 turbo enjoys a $14,000 over invoice for MSRP.

Now, is SRT itself enjoying a hefty profit? After all the R&D, I'd assume so.

Saw someone on youtube ordering a Gen V and it appeared invoice was $127,499 with a MSRP of $135,840. $8,341 is what the dealer gets to make. Then they get to cover commission and overhead. Not a terribly high markup if you ask me. I would have figured more. Here is the video. Pause it at 11 seconds and you'll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIe67Jwjkqg

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw someone on youtube ordering a Gen V and it appeared invoice was $127,499 with a MSRP of $135,840. $8,341 is what the dealer gets to make. Then they get to cover commission and overhead. Not a terribly high markup if you ask me. I would have figured more. Here is the video. Pause it at 11 seconds and you'll see.

Wow! I thought sure they'd be making more than $8k on each car. So, a dealer with an allocation of one or two cars really has little incentive to pay the $25k plus the cost to send folks to training.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! I thought sure they'd be making more than $8k on each car. So, a dealer with an allocation of one or two cars really has little incentive to pay the $25k plus the cost to send folks to training.

Truth is they don't actually own the car. The 'invoice' isn't a real number either. It is set in a software that all dealers connect to as a bottom price reference. It would be really hard to find out what real invoice is. Dealers still make money selling below invoice.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Truth is they don't actually own the car. The 'invoice' isn't a real number either. It is set in a software that all dealers connect to as a bottom price reference. It would be really hard to find out what real invoice is. Dealers still make money selling below invoice.

Smart man! Dealer or former salesman?

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smart man! Dealer or former salesman?

I sold cars for a few months right out of high school. I love cars, but I didn't like the line of work. I guess it is because there are two things that make people 'poor.' A house and car. I didn't want to be part of making people poor. I still work in sales(oil and gas), but I don't profit more because someone else 'profits less' and I like it that way.

For everyone that is curious, there is a dealer holdback behind the invoice. Usually 3-5%. Then there is factory incentives. Some incentives you see advertised and they get passed on to you through the dealer and some you don't see that don't get passed on to you. Either way, it is not like the dealer is running laughing to the bank because they sold you a Viper at MSRP. Honestly, most business men will look at the investment of one Viper and say well I can make about $10k on that or order 7 base model chargers and make $20k. In the end, most dealers are ordering the Viper for attention and prestige, not to pay the bills. Now dealers like Tomball and Woodhouse can move enough Vipers to pay the bills and that is because no one here mentions them in the same category as your everyday Dodge dealer.

If ViperJon is right about the Gen V's sitting on the lot by 2014-15, with this invoice, I'd expect a car that MSRP's at $135,840 to be let go at about $118k (maybe even a little less) in a last ditch effort to move the car. The factory will have an incentive for the dealer to do so and they will still make a little bit of money.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R