Top Gear (UK) is testing the new Viper

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be helpful. Regardless, the review will be much more extensive than what we will get here. For the most part our automotive journalists are amateurish in their writing skills, superficial in their assessment and undeniably biased.
lol

I wonder if this is a special or this is for the new series. I'd love to see the results of the Viper on a long road trip.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be helpful. Regardless, the review will be much more extensive than what we will get here. For the most part our automotive journalists are amateurish in their writing skills, superficial in their assessment and undeniably biased.
lol
Will they rip it to ****? Maybe. Will they love it? Maybe. I think they are pretty fair in their assessments usually (as fair as entertainers can be). They complain about nannies enough, that the rawness of the Viper should still be there to keep them happy.

I think many will be upset "omg they are going to trash the Gen IV!" crowd as they compare it to the Gen V. Which I fully expect them to do.

IMO it will get respect to what it is in terms of being an American Muscle "Supercar"

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They usually like the muscle cars even if they abuse the older leaf springs in the corvettes and pushrods etc. They like the fun ride.
Handling can let yank cars down, so on that front the viper should be received ok along with the new interior etc. I think it will do well.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The term American muscle car is such a mis characterization. Muscle car implies a heavy car with great acceleration and crappy handling. They are bound to find something wrong with it, but it doesn't mean it's not accurate...we'll have to see.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to be a Top Gear road trip special. They started in Vegas, but I would expect them to drive to Austin, TX for the F1 race this weekend. They are driving a SRT Viper, a LFA and a Vanquish. Jeremy tweeted about heading to Mexico as part of their destination.

I will be in Austin on Friday for the F1 practice and other pre-race activities. Needless to say, I will let you all know if I stumble upon Jezza, Hamster, and Captain Slow.

They sure look like they are headed to Austin. Jeremy's pic (from twitter acct) shows a horizon resembling the Southwest:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a tease! They posted the LFA's time of 12.2 seconds in the 1/4, but didn't tell us how fast the Viper ran.

Awesome show, can't wait to see this one. I have a car-nut friend that downloads the Top Gear (UK) shows before they are shown here in the states. He usually throws a little party for every new episode. I know who's Christmas party I'm attending!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
They usually like the muscle cars even if they abuse the older leaf springs in the corvettes and pushrods etc. They like the fun ride.
Handling can let yank cars down, so on that front the viper should be received ok along with the new interior etc. I think it will do well.

I notice that they regularly pan the leaf springs, as if they are steel, arranged longitudianlly. That is not the case. They are light, and mounted so that one wheel is not affected by the compression of any other wheel. They also reduce unsprung weight. This fact is never mentioned, but they rather like to zero in on the word "leaf", and then they tear it apart, with no mention of any technical specifics.

djviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The same top gear that had a BMW Z4 demolish a SRT around their track?

I'll be surprised if the new viper even starts.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Top Gear just "has" to look down on America, especially American cars. In the past, we have unfortunately been an easy target for thier criticism. Regardless of how good the new Viper is, they will still posture in their iconoclast, British superiority, and find fault with the Gen5. Anyone can imitate their ugly attitude. Here, I'll give it a go, and you can see how easy it is to be a Top Gear writer. (Presenters need only cast a shadow, it seems)

Facts are not important, and secondary to "entertainment". (The assumption here is that joyfully stabbing the USA in the back with a knife qualifies as "entertainment") Here is what they are likely to write:

"The crude, rude, and utterly useless Viper has been given a haircut, put on a clean shirt, and expects to be taken seriously, as it applies for the job of World Class Torch Bearer from the Colonies. (A position it has sadly applied for several times already, and failed at miserably, each time) From the interior, we can see that they desperately are striving to atone for their kit-car shoddiness of recent memory. However, if not for the help of the Italians at Fiat, this would not have been at all possible. (Note the interior from Ferrari). Still, we have to begrudgingly credit the Yanks for at least making an effort, however small it may be. The engine is still a big hunk of iron from a lorry, still quite simple, and not interesting in the least, much like our American cousins accross the pond. On a bright note, there is one single bolt on the car, remarkably engineered by a British company. As we take it for a drive, we notice each and every single pebble, every single crack in the asphalt, and suffer with the damnable seating ergonomics. The clutch is hard to operate. After only one lap of Las Vegas "Int'l" Speedway, poor little Hamsters' left leg fell off, from the excruciating effort required. We much prefer the Boxster for going fast, as it instills confidence in the driver, with smooth, hushed responses from the throttle, nothing challenging or upsetting, plus it has cushy seats and soft cobble-stone-road suspension, just right for our tender British backsides. Our conclusion is that the redneck, cowboy-hat-wearing, extra-cheese eating, knuckle-dragging, double-wide-trailer-park-trash Yanks at SRT are best suited to putting lipstick on a pig, and have again missed the mark of greatness. But being American, we couldn't expect more, could we? Lest anyone think we are biased against the States, we'll reluctantly conceed SRT an Honorable Mention, for at least their token attempt"

That is what I expect to hear from Top Gear. Distortions, faint priase, complete and utter failure at accuracy. Being British, we couldn't expect anything more from them, could we?

Note to readers- I am of mostly British descent, (with a bit o' Irish and a wee bit of Scottish). My family came to this land in 1640. Although I am fully American, I still identify with many British traits. But I am continually surprised how some Brits apparently have this inner need to lambast anything and everything American.

Last edited:

former345bhpLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think they will portray the Viper so negatively. You have to read between the lines with what journalists say, but most of their recent reviews of American cars have been positive overall. Plus they make fun of everything and take a goldilocks approach (everything is too soft or too harsh). Clarkson gave a good review to the Gen III when first released. Though good in that he loved driving it and was impressed with it's abilities, but stated that is was a terrible car if judged by traditional measures (aka fuel economy, storage space, none of the stuff that sports car owners care about). He gave good reviews to the Corvette Z06 and the ZR1 (which he preferred to the Audi R8 V10 in the same test).

Plus, the only car that they haven't found major fault with is the 458 Italia. They felt that the MP4-12C was boring ("no zing"), the new Aston Virage was too harsh for a grand tourer, the new Aventador was too refined (no longer scary??), the new M5 was fast but disconnected, and the new Ferrari FF makes no sense as a car (better off buying a Range Rover). They distribute criticism pretty evenly.

I'm looking forward to watching for the visuals alone, there will be some poking fun at the Viper, but in the end Clarkson and Hammond will like it....and it will embarrass the other two cars on the track. There is no doubt about that.

-Nick

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to several sources they are headed to Mexico. Although it does seem that's like a tweet decoy, not a good one considering ALL of us are watching every move they make.

Also, the last US special they did, they liked all three cars (Challenger, Vette, Mustang). The LFA, to me at least, is outdated now for Top Gear. So I kinda expect them to stick it '3rd'.

--RS

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
12.2 for the LFA?! Did they forget to take their foot off the brake!

supraking85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
clarkson loves the viper. when top gear tested the gen3 vert he gave it a good reception overall. and during his video when he tested the gen3 coupe yes he raced it against the z4 but it was a draw. where all the rest he did lost to the european counterpart

im surprised hes not driving this gen5 tbh, cant wait to see this episode

-nighthawk-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a feeling that Fiat has struck a deal with the BBC to be kind to the Viper this time.

They are already close partners, and since Fiat has invested a lot of money into this new Viper it's really important.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think comparing the Gen V ring time to the Gen IV ACR's is something of an apples to oranges comparison.

In any event, my dealer who has my deposit says that we can begin ordering the ACR in February. Not sure how much stock I put in that, but we'll see... perhaps we'll see both models running the ring this coming year.

Your dealer is misinformed.
No one has mentioned that and surely Bill Pemberton would be among the first to know.

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top Gear just "has" to look down on America, especially American cars. In the past, we have unfortunately been an easy target for thier criticism. Regardless of how good the new Viper is, they will still posture in their iconoclast, British superiority, and find fault with the Gen5. Anyone can imitate their ugly attitude. Here, I'll give it a go, and you can see how easy it is to be a Top Gear writer. (Presenters need only cast a shadow, it seems)

Facts are not important, and secondary to "entertainment". (The assumption here is that joyfully stabbing the USA in the back with a knife qualifies as "entertainment") Here is what they are likely to write:

"The crude, rude, and utterly useless Viper has been given a haircut, put on a clean shirt, and expects to be taken seriously, as it applies for the job of World Class Torch Bearer from the Colonies. (A position it has sadly applied for several times already, and failed at miserably, each time) From the interior, we can see that they desperately are striving to atone for their kit-car shoddiness of recent memory. However, if not for the help of the Italians at Fiat, this would not have been at all possible. (Note the interior from Ferrari). Still, we have to begrudgingly credit the Yanks for at least making an effort, however small it may be. The engine is still a big hunk of iron from a lorry, still quite simple, and not interesting in the least, much like our American cousins accross the pond. On a bright note, there is one single bolt on the car, remarkably engineered by a British company. As we take it for a drive, we notice each and every single pebble, every single crack in the asphalt, and suffer with the damnable seating ergonomics. The clutch is hard to operate. After only one lap of Las Vegas "Int'l" Speedway, poor little Hamsters' left leg fell off, from the excruciating effort required. We much prefer the Boxster for going fast, as it instills confidence in the driver, with smooth, hushed responses from the throttle, nothing challenging or upsetting, plus it has cushy seats and soft cobble-stone-road suspension, just right for our tender British backsides. Our conclusion is that the redneck, cowboy-hat-wearing, extra-cheese eating, knuckle-dragging, double-wide-trailer-park-trash Yanks at SRT are best suited to putting lipstick on a pig, and have again missed the mark of greatness. But being American, we couldn't expect more, could we? Lest anyone think we are biased against the States, we'll reluctantly conceed SRT an Honorable Mention, for at least their token attempt"

That is what I expect to hear from Top Gear. Distortions, faint priase, complete and utter failure at accuracy. Being British, we couldn't expect anything more from them, could we?

Note to readers- I am of mostly British descent, (with a bit o' Irish and a wee bit of Scottish). My family came to this land in 1640. Although I am fully American, I still identify with many British traits. But I am continually surprised how some Brits apparently have this inner need to lambast anything and everything American.

Not necessarily. Top Gear's on-line magazine gave a pre-production GEN V a glowing review. They question whether it is the bargain super car of the decade. I have attached the on-line article:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/dodge-viper-srt-gts-viper-first-drive-top-gear-2012-09-11

Also, the Top Gear magazine currently on US newsstands contains an article about the GEN V. It is also very complimentary. However, I'm sure the folks from the TV show will have something derogatory to say. Hey! That's entertainment.

Last edited:

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your dealer is misinformed.
No one has mentioned that and surely Bill Pemberton would be among the first to know.

Heh, I did say that I was skeptical! Given the short time frame involved, I can wait a few more months to see how it turns out before potentially looking at the GTS instead.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well done sir. Well done.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh, I did say that I was skeptical! Given the short time frame involved, I can wait a few more months to see how it turns out before potentially looking at the GTS instead.

Maybe the dealer was thinking about the aeor package? But I thought you could order that now.