Top Gear (UK) is testing the new Viper

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. I read the first drive articles on Top Gear's magazine and website. Both accounts were glowing for short stints in pre-production mules. I'm sure the TV show can't wait to get their hands on the car. Plus, if a production example fairs well in either the European magazines or on Top Gear's TV show, it could open up that market for SRT.

-nighthawk-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like they'll be taking 1 car each? Quite impressed a Viper is able to be on the same class as an LFA (although it is faster around the track :) )

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"we are coming to America to make some noise"
That was what Clarkson said to Ralph a couple of days ago. love the man and Ralph inviting him is awesome :D

A special was just released, "50 years of Bond cars" and usually when there is a special there is a new season around the corner so I think they started filming season 19 already and the Viper bit will be in America this time around. Will it be competing against the LFA & new Austin? :)

Last edited:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plus, if a production example fairs well in either the European magazines or on Top Gear's TV show, it could open up that market for SRT.

That would be awesome but I don't see it happening with the flatout ******** import taxes and duties which are so high that (for instance) in The Netherlands they double the final sales price.

You will now excuse me because that all black GTS makes me need a bathroom break :D...

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
California guys, please post with a heads-up if you see these cars! Heads up @Sonoma @Laguna Seca @Buttonwillow...

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just in from Ralph G's twitter feed: when can we expect a video of the new @driveSRT Viper lapping the 'Ring?” we'll likely pay Germany a visit this summer!

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just in from Ralph G's twitter feed: when can we expect a video of the new @driveSRT Viper lapping the 'Ring?” we'll likely pay Germany a visit this summer!

Wow. He is actually going to do it? I wasn't expecting SRT to go back to ring until an ACR version is available. Gotta say, that is a ballsy decision from a marketing standpoint. If it doesn't beat the Gen IV, ACR or not, most potential new to the brand customers might be turned off. Ignorance is bliss isn't it?

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. He is actually going to do it? I wasn't expecting SRT to go back to ring until an ACR version is available. Gotta say, that is a ballsy decision from a marketing standpoint. If it doesn't beat the Gen IV, ACR or not, most potential new to the brand customers might be turned off. Ignorance is bliss isn't it?

What? You really think it wasn't going to happen this soon? You know the 2013 model year is a short one, 2014 is serious. :)

I'm not worried, neither should anyone else. Remember the yellow sucker that showed up at SEMA? Mmmm hmmm. Those engineers, they are a smart bunch. Everything, every performance number has still yet to be revealed to it's full disclosure. I think SRT wants to leave everyone in shock and awe, they want those that have never looked at a Viper and go, 'it does what?' WE know how the magazines go, 'crappy interior, heavy clutch, no cupholders.' That's how they've always written about the Viper. Now, they had a small taste at a few race tracks and most of the articles written have positive things to say about a Viper interior. The marketing approach is so much better!

And Nissan is also headed back to the ring, might already have. Supposedly they are 7 seconds off from the ACR, quite the amount of time to pick up. The GT-R is no slouch but it does have more volume and mass than an ACR does so I have to give it credit. C7 comes out in January, I think they'll do the same as the gen V and get the racing program started ASAP. Should be fun!

--RS

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting the performance figures will come out after orders are in. SRT could be positioning to "sell out" all the initial allocations? I'd imagine demand will pick up if numbers are insanely low out of the auto rags.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be good if a Non ACR Viper could equal or beat the ACR Time, the guys on the motoring forums in the UK are always moaning that the ACR is a Track car and Not a road car :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know its a road car and so do you guys, but the haters are out there! Oh and don't mention the Ring to Captain Slow, he hates the place!

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph said they will not go until someone beats the ACR record?!?!

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be good if a Non ACR Viper could equal or beat the ACR Time, the guys on the motoring forums in the UK are always moaning that the ACR is a Track car and Not a road car :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I hear the same thing on many forums, especially the exotic forums. I always hit them with the Porsche GT2/GT3/RS. For some reason they see those as streetcars instead of racecars. Funny also is that those Porsches come with rollcages, CCB's, aero, and are very lightened. They are way more racecarish than an ACR but they don't suffer the ignorant "racecar" comments.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you guys are just looking at numbers and don't know much about how fast the GenIV ACR really is. There is nothing even close to that 7:12 except for kit cars or mega buck euro cars with CF chassis and crazy budgets to sell a few cars (918 etc.). It's 6 seconds back to the nearest Corvette/GT-R/Porsche and Nissan rounded their time down to stay true to their fishy ring tactics.

The non-ACR Gen V does not need to beat the ACR and it won't, especially on the tires it comes on. MPSC are some kind of fast!! As long as it beats the Nissan/Porsche/ZR-1 it will be fine. Anyone who complains about it not beating the ACR is likely a no driving magazine bench racer.

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears they are going to be featuring a GTS with track pack and the Laguna Sepia interior. I wonder what the Top Gear guys are going to say about the new interior? I'm sure the driving dynamics are going to be great based on the first-drive reviews I've read.

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear the same thing on many forums, especially the exotic forums. I always hit them with the Porsche GT2/GT3/RS. For some reason they see those as streetcars instead of racecars. Funny also is that those Porsches come with rollcages, CCB's, aero, and are very lightened. They are way more racecarish than an ACR but they don't suffer the ignorant "racecar" comments.

They are street cars IMO. This is what a porsche race-car looks like...

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see any upside to bringing a non ACR Gen 5 to the Ring unless they are positive it will put up an extremely strong time.
If it doesn't beat the Gen 4 ACR's time it will fairly or unfairly be the first Viper Gen slower than the previous.
And if for whatever reason (tires, weather etc) it doesn't beat the ZR1 it will be a failure.
ZR1 had 640 HP and Sports Cups too so that won't be so easy.

I'm really surprised they would do this when an ACR ver should be down in current ACR-X time possibly.

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think comparing the Gen V ring time to the Gen IV ACR's is something of an apples to oranges comparison.

In any event, my dealer who has my deposit says that we can begin ordering the ACR in February. Not sure how much stock I put in that, but we'll see... perhaps we'll see both models running the ring this coming year.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who says it wont be a Gen V with an aero package?

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It seems to be a Top Gear road trip special. They started in Vegas, but I would expect them to drive to Austin, TX for the F1 race this weekend. They are driving a SRT Viper, a LFA and a Vanquish. Jeremy tweeted about heading to Mexico as part of their destination.