For those of you with multiple vipers...

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So kind of a off the cuff question, I have another spot being added to the garage with the addition of a lift. I have only owned gen III/IV vipers and only one at a time. Been looking at clean gen I/II cars and thinking now might be a good time to buy.

So for those of you with multiple vipers, do you still drive them all?
Do you enjoy having both around?
Are the car similar enough that having say a gen II and a gen III is just redundant?

The new car will have to live on a lift for storage so its not like I can just grab the keys and go. When my wife and I had prowlers we almost never took both out together. She is pulling for a more comfortable GT, like a vantage or DB9 or another 356 speedster for puttering around town. Both these cars have softer clutch peddles.

Torquemonster06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of our that is in the club, owns a 3rd gen and a 2nd gen. Usually he likes to take the 2nd gen on the longer runs because he says it has more room inside, and the cabin doesnt get as hot. I myself have not drivin a gen 2, But the people that Ive talked to say they are more comfortable. For the shorter runs, its a flip of the coin on which one to take. LOL. Im sure there will be alot more members adding to this.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll weigh in here...I own a GEN II and a GEN IV. The difference is night and day between the two as you might figure. It's definitely nice to be able to pick which one you want to drive. I enjoy both for very different reasons. Now GEN II and GEN III i'm sure are very different as well. I have had very limited seat time in a GEN III so I can't make a decent comparison on the two but I would say it's worth having two around. You just never know when the mood will strike you for which car. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of our that is in the club, owns a 3rd gen and a 2nd gen. Usually he likes to take the 2nd gen on the longer runs because he says it has more room inside, and the cabin doesnt get as hot. I myself have not drivin a gen 2, But the people that Ive talked to say they are more comfortable. For the shorter runs, its a flip of the coin on which one to take. LOL. Im sure there will be alot more members adding to this.

My Gen III is super aggressive so finding something that I can take on longer trips so maybe a Gen II might work. I always thought that the Gen II's rode worse then the newer stuff.

SSGSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a gen 1 and IV. The gen 1 is a blast and totally different than the 4 and I drive them about the same it really on a few min to get on and off the lifts

kblake905

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The most obvious thing for me is the Gen II is a coupe , the gen III is a convertible, so if it is top down weather I prefer the Gen III, but overall the Gen II is more comfortable to drive which I attribute more to the tires BF goodrich on the Gen II. The Gen III has the run craps which have a tendancy to dart around. I will have to buy new tires in the spring, so I may change my mind with a new set of rubber. :dunno:

OP
OP
V

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other companies make cool cars too. Why have 2 vipers?

(Flame away)

I have had like 50 car's so far, deep down I like Viper's. I really like Prowlers for some strange reason as well.

The most obvious thing for me is the Gen II is a coupe , the gen III is a convertible, so if it is top down weather I prefer the Gen III, but overall the Gen II is more comfortable to drive which I attribute more to the tires BF goodrich on the Gen II. The Gen III has the run craps which have a tendancy to dart around. I will have to buy new tires in the spring, so I may change my mind with a new set of rubber. :dunno:

Finny thing is I have a coupe now. Was thinking of a convertible if possible. I could more then likely get a good car around the 30-35K mark.
The wife is really pushing for more of a GT car.

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kim, when you get the new tires you will think it is a different car (better). You will wonder why you waited to wear/age out the original
tires.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a stock gen 1 plus a tt gen 2 and a 1000rwhp gen 3. I love to drive them all. I just happen to have a extra clean gen 1 I took in on trade that I will be selling soon :)

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started a post a while back looking for opinions on whether to seel my 60's Muscle car for another VIper with unfavorable results. I realize it is nice to have totally different flavors and decided not to buy a second Viper and keep the old car.

Bruce

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I got my Gen 4 ACR's I rarely drove my Gen 2 GTS's anymore.
Everything about the Gen 4 was so superior that it felt like stepping out of a fighter jet and getting into a piper cub.

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I still have my original Gen 1 and Gen 2....for various reasons (basically I didn't love them) I've had a Gen 3 and a Gen 4 come and go.

Unfortunately due to lack of garage space my vipers are being stored in a storage facility a coupla miles away....so it takes real effort to drive them...but as little (or as much) as I drive them..I wouldn't trade them for the world.
My Gen 1 is almost 20 years (young) and I'm always amazed when I stand back at see how beautiful and relevant she is. And driving her is the most fun! And (for me) the original RT10 is what VIPERS are all about.
I suggest (if you can) get yourself a Gen 1 RT10.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all of you south of the border.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything about the Gen 4 was so superior that it felt like stepping out of a fighter jet and getting into a piper cub.

This x2. Get something different if you have a super aggressive Gen III.

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2 Gen II GTS and a 09 Gen IV. Like long drives in the gen II. Kinda feels like a go cart with a rocket engine straped to it. Very fun to drive. The gen IV is more refined but cramped and my ass falls asleep on long drives. The older car Definitly gets more reaction from people whenits on the road. Everybody knows what it is and always will. I still don't think the new 2013 will get as much response or recognition with those headlights and grill.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rarely drive our Gen I, beautiful car but 250 less hp, marginal brakes, stiffer clutch, etc. But when I do I always say I've got to drive this more, probably because it's a vert. If you've got a built G3 coupe and a wife looking for something tamer to cruise around in, get another prowler or a 911 cab w/tip. 911's are nice cars and ours have had great reliabilty. Or, buy a nice Gen 1, top down is nice here in SoCal. Depreciation seems to have bottomed, you can drive for a year or 2 very reasonably. Good luck, Mike

OP
OP
V

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rarely drive our Gen I, beautiful car but 250 less hp, marginal brakes, stiffer clutch, etc. But when I do I always say I've got to drive this more, probably because it's a vert. If you've got a built G3 coupe and a wife looking for something tamer to cruise around in, get another prowler or a 911 cab w/tip. 911's are nice cars and ours have had great reliabilty. Or, buy a nice Gen 1, top down is nice here in SoCal. Depreciation seems to have bottomed, you can drive for a year or 2 very reasonably. Good luck, Mike

Guess I should say what I have in the garage

2002 Prowler 100% Stock
2006 FE Coupe with a bunch of track bits on it.
2011 JCW Mini Cooper
2013 Scion IQ which is my commuter.

Dead down if I don't get another viper right now I am thinking Vantage or a CLK Black. I would like to get another Ferrari at some point but I only really like the older ones like the 330 and honestly its not something I can put miles on. My neighbor has a 550 Maranello that I really like but the horror stories on parts cost keep me away.

That is why I was thinking Gen II convertible. I can maintain it in my sleep, parts are reasonable, if I only put 1K miles or so a year on it its not going to fall apart.

Good problem to have I guess.