Coilover Install / Rear Lower Shock fork Spacing Question

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a great deal on some BC coil-overs from a friend that got them for his Viper and never mounted them before selling, but the rear shock fork they sent with them is 20mm too wide. I was wondering if the lower rear shock bushing is wider on Gen-3 and 4 cars relative to the Gen-2's, thus the fitment discrepancy. To make up the difference in width a local shop told me to just use washers or spacers-- I am not overly thrilled with that from a safety standpoint. Also, sourcing a new longer bolt of the proper grade and butted configuration, is proving to be a minor pain. I can get a pair of lower shock clevis forks off of a Gen-3, but I want to be sure they would fit the Gen-2 bushing as well as the coil-over shock body. I know I can take them off of my current shocks, but I was hoping to keep them in-tact in case I decide to return the car to stock; also, from what I have heard it is a hassle due to the use of factory thread locker. So again, is the spacing different between Gen-2's and 3's?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a call in to the manufacturer with a substitution in mind. In the event that they don't have a Gen 2 compatible clevis, would it be possible to use the mounts off of my OEM shocks? I am wondering about the threads on the Koni tubes being "standard" o/d and thread. These BC units were, almost literally, a gift, I would hate to pass on their installation due to this this type of hitch. I don't guess this is a problem with KW, Penske, or Motons but the cost is an issue for this years' budget, at least.

Blown408

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There was a dude on the Viperalley that was running BC on his gen 2, name was SlammedSnake but I think he sold the car. I have been interested in them ever sense, BC makes great product for the price. Have run them a couple times.

Anyways I feel like you should be able to get an answer from BC or try hitting up the guy on the alley.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I asked about the coilovers during my endeavors I could not get a solid response from BC. They stated that from 92-2010 Vipers all had the same suspension and their shocks fit all years. This is obviously not true. You can always call Scharf and pick up 2 blown rear shocks and just take off the piece from them.

OP
OP
S

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I asked about the coilovers during my endeavors I could not get a solid response from BC. They stated that from 92-2010 Vipers all had the same suspension and their shocks fit all years. This is obviously not true. You can always call Scharf and pick up 2 blown rear shocks and just take off the piece from them.

The way that they make them fit applications of different length is by changing the amount that the shock tube is screwed into the forks or bottom mounts. Their shocks lower the car 3 / 4 of an inch off the bat, with more possible. They have a marked minimum amount of safe insertion into the forks. I will give Don Scharf an inquiry and see about getting some extra stock forks off some blown shocks. I will also follow up with "Slammed Snake " if he is still around the Alley. I suppose if Penske's fit these BC's will too; I can't imagine them going rogue, but...... Good infos, Thanks guys.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am definitely curious about this, I definitely would like a shock that rides a little better than stock with adjustments and hopefully to stiffen the rear to prevent the little rubbing action I have going yet.

OP
OP
S

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll post pictures and write up a short review of the BC adjustables as soon as I get this sorted. I am running 19" Forgestars, so I am a tad concerned about potential rubbing. We shall see; this is certainly not the kind of assembly delay that I expected--now the rain is here.:mad:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4