Airbox Question on 2000 GTS

KevinATX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, I bought a used viper a few weeks ago from a dealership and dont know who the previous owner was. I was looking the car over and took the airbox out to examine the DIY mod the previous owner did to it. Essentially, there is a piece of hard plastic riveted to the top of the airbox (which I understand the purpose of). The part I dont understand is why the bottom of the airbox has been cut out as well. I will take pictures when I get home, but thought someone might be able to picture this now.

The bottom of the airbox has been cut out allowing you to see the top part of the radiator when looking down into it. Seems like this would defeat the purpose of trying to pull cool air in from the fascia. Any ideas on why this was done?

Kevin

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the rain dam was removed it could be for additional drainage in case you got caught in the rain. It also could have melted due to a mishap and was cosmetically unappealing. Or, too many leaves were getting sucked in there and it is a leaf drain lol.

OP
OP
K

KevinATX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the rain dam was removed it could be for additional drainage in case you got caught in the rain. It also could have melted due to a mishap and was cosmetically unappealing. Or, too many leaves were getting sucked in there and it is a leaf drain lol.

Thanks, Dave. This is what I thought. Dont understand why someone would go to all the trouble riveting plastic on top of the box and then cutting such a large section out of the bottom.. It almost looks as if it was cut out to allow clearance for the cooling fan, but seems strange the stock box would need that. Maybe a larger cooling fan was installed??

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory airbox (as well as other aftermarket boxes) comes close to the fan on a good day. I doubt the fan was upgraded although I've heard of it being done.

Factory fan...

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
K

KevinATX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, dennis! Im certainly enjoying driving and getting to know it!

Dave, here is a pic of my airbox. Im not sure what the stock airbox looks like (as far as the section that is cut out goes). The fan looks stock comparing to your pic, but the shroud would definitely hit the airbox unless the stock one has a bevel where this one is cut. Tried finding a stock picture everywhere, but they only show from the top.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
K

KevinATX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems pretty dumb huh? But if that piece wasnt cut out, is the airbox formed to go around the fan shroud right there?

OP
OP
K

KevinATX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OP
OP
K

KevinATX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok... I think i figured out why the airbox is cut like it is. (although it probably wasnt the best solution)

After admiring the beauty of LifeIsGoods airbox, I went back out to see how I could polish mine up to look half as good as his. I noticed that the radiator was a 3 core Fluidyne. This pushed the fan into the airbox and the solution by the previous owner was to trim the box around the shroud. Thanks to all for the pics of OEM equipment. I probably wouldnt have noticed that without the comparison help. Appreciate it!

Kevin

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 99 has a Fluidyne and my airbox doesn't have a hole in it...

Ok... I think i figured out why the airbox is cut like it is. (although it probably wasnt the best solution)

After admiring the beauty of LifeIsGoods airbox, I went back out to see how I could polish mine up to look half as good as his. I noticed that the radiator was a 3 core Fluidyne. This pushed the fan into the airbox and the solution by the previous owner was to trim the box around the shroud. Thanks to all for the pics of OEM equipment. I probably wouldnt have noticed that without the comparison help. Appreciate it!

Kevin

OP
OP
K

KevinATX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Do you have the 3 core? From what i could tell, the stock mounting holes for the airbox were set too far forward to clear the fan with the thicker radiator in it. Any pics? I posted the pic of mine positioned in the mounting location and the fan shroud is definitely in the way... Thought i had this figured out.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LifeisGood...where did you get those billet fasteners for the airbox? They look sharp.

OP
OP
K

KevinATX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yea I have the 3 core radiator..measures approx 4" or so. Maybe the prior owner thought it would help...
Yup same one as mine.. Unless your airbox mounting brackets were relocated, I dont have any idea why yours would fit and mine wouldnt. Cooling fan Supercharger idea who knows..

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the knobs from Mark at IPSCO. Fast shipping, super nice quality, went on very easily, and looks great. Another winner from Mark.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21