A Viper finally for the tall.....???

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the Viper world and I'm excited about this new Viper because I heard that it has been modified to finally fit people 6'2" and above. I always tried to buy a Viper in the past, but I couldn't even get my leg into the car let alone sit in it. But I can't place an order on a $100K vehicle without knowing for sure I can fit. I guess it won't be till 2014 that we can see some on a dealer floor without blind ordering???

I'm 6'2", not that tall, but I have long legs supposedly and that's why I can't fit into most sports cars. Last time I tried was with a Gen IV, and my wife laughed so hard at watching me not even being able to sit down in the car. I don't think 30% of my body was able to get in. It was quite embarrassing at the dealership because everybody there stopped what they were doing and watched the episode. :(

Last week I tried an Audi R8 Spyder because that's the car I'm deciding on also, and my legs couldn't get under the steering wheels smoothly. Audi told me they could make a special adjustment for me at the factory, but I still have the Viper option on the table. :)

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what everyone has said, you'll fit just fine. I am 6'1'', others up to 6'4'' (from what I recall) said they fit in easily.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two changes that may work in your favor with the GEN V. One...The seats aren't nearly as "big" so you gain some space there. Two...the seats have height adjustment now from the factory so it can be lowered if necessary. Otherwise the car is the same as the GEN IV in terms of room. There are suppose to be about 50 cars that will go out to dealerships as pilot or test cars for dealerships so you may get a chance to sit in one before you order. Hope this helps. :)

OP
OP
K

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two changes that may work in your favor with the GEN V. One...The seats aren't nearly as "big" so you gain some space there. Two...the seats have height adjustment now from the factory so it can be lowered if necessary. Otherwise the car is the same as the GEN IV in terms of room. There are suppose to be about 50 cars that will go out to dealerships as pilot or test cars for dealerships so you may get a chance to sit in one before you order. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Hopefully I'll get to see one of these pilots! :)

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL! I'm 6'2" and have owned every generation Viper but a Gen I and fit fine in all of them (even with a helmet on). It is not easy to get in and out, but once you are in things are fine. I'm only 190 lbs, so that is in my favor also. You will fit in a Gen V easy with the revisions they have made, getting in and out is a skill to learn. :)

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I had the opposite problem....when I ordered my first viper..back in 1992 ... (they likewise wouldn't let anybody sit in this very exclusive vehicle).....so I did order the car blind and just worried (for 20 months) that I'd be too short (all 5 ft of me) to reach the pedals!!

And that's exactly what happened! But my innovative dealer figured out a way to adjust the seat and I've been lovin' it ever since.

Thank goodness in 1996 they brought out adjustable pedals.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised that at 6'2, you couldn't fit into older generation Vipers...I'm 6'3, and and I have no problem fitting in my Gen2. As mentioned above, they have adjustable pedals, so you can move them all the way to the front. I did lower my seats though for better visibility. It's good to know the new GenV has height adjustable seats.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the Viper world and I'm excited about this new Viper because I heard that it has been modified to finally fit people 6'2" and above. I always tried to buy a Viper in the past, but I couldn't even get my leg into the car let alone sit in it. But I can't place an order on a $100K vehicle without knowing for sure I can fit. I guess it won't be till 2014 that we can see some on a dealer floor without blind ordering???

I'm 6'2", not that tall, but I have long legs supposedly and that's why I can't fit into most sports cars. Last time I tried was with a Gen IV, and my wife laughed so hard at watching me not even being able to sit down in the car. I don't think 30% of my body was able to get in. It was quite embarrassing at the dealership because everybody there stopped what they were doing and watched the episode. :(

Last week I tried an Audi R8 Spyder because that's the car I'm deciding on also, and my legs couldn't get under the steering wheels smoothly. Audi told me they could make a special adjustment for me at the factory, but I still have the Viper option on the table. :)

You can order a Gen V with confidence, unless you have stilts for legs. I sat in the new GTS, and it's much better than the stock Gen IV... I am 6'4, 250 lb, with a 36" inseam. Couldn't fit in my Gen IV without the 2" seat lowering kit. In the Gen V GTS, I have adequate room, and I could operate the controls well enough... but with a helmet it'd be tight on the headliner. My impression: you wouldn't want to be any bigger than me if you're looking at buying the Gen V.

One thing that really surprised me, with regard to the 2" seat lowering kit in my car: while legroom length isn't gained, dropping your butt a couple of inches makes all the difference in getting your knees away from the steering wheel. And you gain plenty of room for a helmet. I'd look into these kits for the other cars that you're shopping; maybe that R8 can stay on the list...

But still, it's no Viper :D

Enjoy shopping,

Rich

OP
OP
K

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can order a Gen V with confidence, unless you have stilts for legs. I sat in the new GTS, and it's much better than the stock Gen IV... I am 6'4, 250 lb, with a 36" inseam. Couldn't fit in my Gen IV without the 2" seat lowering kit. In the Gen V GTS, I have adequate room, and I could operate the controls well enough... but with a helmet it'd be tight on the headliner. My impression: you wouldn't want to be any bigger than me if you're looking at buying the Gen V.

One thing that really surprised me, with regard to the 2" seat lowering kit in my car: while legroom length isn't gained, dropping your butt a couple of inches makes all the difference in getting your knees away from the steering wheel. And you gain plenty of room for a helmet. I'd look into these kits for the other cars that you're shopping; maybe that R8 can stay on the list...

But still, it's no Viper :D

Enjoy shopping,

Rich

AWESOME!! You definitely made a great point about the steering wheel issue. Now that I think about what you said, you're right, it wasn't so much the total length that stopped everything from working, it was my knee hitting the steering wheel that wouldn't allow me to get in. If I had known this fact back then, I would have told the dealer to raise the wheel or lower the seat, and I could have bought a GEN IV........aah man.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seat lowering kits for the current Vipers come in 1" and 2" drop.

The 1" allows the seat to still slide forward and back, the 2" requires it to be locked in one position.

Although I can get in and out of stock Vipers pretty easily, (6') using a 1" lowering kits makes the sitting position much more comfortable for me with better leg angles, and it allows me to look thought the center of the windshield, instead of just the to couple inches.

Very popular, and inexpensive modification to all generation Vipers.

I also find it easier to lever myself out of the car by putting my left elbow on the door jam, and kinda levering myself out. Much more graceful for me : >)

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 6'5" and in my Gen IV I have when in and seated two fingers in a stock seat, with the adjustable pedels I have had no problems with them. With the 1" lowering kit it went to 4 fingers, it seems a helmet takes about 2 fingers worth of space and with the 1" drop kit in place even with a helmet I fit fine. I was at VOI and sat in the GenV, it had three fingers room when lowered all the way. I still think sitting at lights would be a noticable issue. but I could wear a helmet in the car and the visibility was improved over the Gen IV. Guess you just need to try it to see if its workable for you.

Richard

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it was rediculous the seats sat so high in the gen III and Gen IV. I am glad SRT listened to its customers and lowered the seats.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'4" and 300 pounds and I fit just fine in my Gen IV with no alterations also no problem with other Gens including the V.
The key to getting in and out is back in (sitting down sideways) then swing your legs in as you twist your torso into the seated position.
I never could really get into the viper and other exotics until a Ferrari salesman showed me how to do it.

OP
OP
K

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow you guys make it sound so doable on previous gens. What the heck happened to me that day years ago? Sounds like it could have been a fluke....something must have been highly off on the adjustments with that viper I tried. I wish I could go back in time and see. I pretty much gave up on my Viper dream after that incident.

viper67wife

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off hand, anyone know how tall Terry is? If he can do it, I can't see why anyone else would have a problem....

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6'-3, 300lbs, no problem in the gen2 with a seat lowering kit and no problem with the gen4

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'2" all legs too, have had no problem in a Gen 3 or a Gen IV. As with the aforementioned steering wheel adjustment, don't forget that the pedals are adjustable too. You should have no issues

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not surprised you short fatties fit ok.

Sadly folding 6'6" @ 200lb of myself into a gen2 wasnt pleasant. No knee clearance and a severe slouch in the chair with a tilted sideways head was the best I could do.

Ill be reviewing things in the Gen5 when I can find one to sit in. All going well it will be a white srt with track pack for me. Or perhaps even zero options.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6'6" 270, very proportional torso-legs. Gen II GTS was the roomiest I've been in. SRT Vert was a nightmare. Took me 10 minutes every time I got in for the claustrophobia to settle. Glad my old man sold it. I was really hoping the Gen V would pick up some serious room but it doesn't sound like it. :(

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm 6'5" and have no problem once I'm in! Getting in as said before is a little tricky without bumping your head on the roof line. Mind you I didn't lower my seat. The gen V is much easier to get in....either way you can solve the issue with a gen 5 or seat lowering on previous gens! So go get one and enjoy like never before!

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking forward to it!

None at PRI to oogle at.
Will have to see whats in NH mid/later december if anything..

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off hand, anyone know how tall Terry is? If he can do it, I can't see why anyone else would have a problem....
I've got several of my friends that are 6'2"-6'5" that's never had that big of a problem getting behind the wheel of mine, I think the Biggest problem some people have is how Round they are!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Kratos,

No worries and the reason you are getting so many answers on the older cars is that one person may be 6'3" with long legs, and another is the same height with a long torso. Mark Jorgensen , our Viper Motorsports Mgr is 6'3" , but has a long torso and needed a 2 inch kit to get into his 2008 Viper. We have had some folks at 6'5" , but with long legs, who did not need a kit at all, so keep in mind one does have to view their body type. On the other hand , using Mark J. as an example, he jumped into a 2013 Viper in Detroit , with a helmet on, and had no problem -- I think he was even surprised at how much more room there is. The key word , though, is not modified, it is designed , as Ralph and crew listened very well to the concerns of taller and bigger drivers and they designed the car to fit alot more folks. The Kudos go to the Design Team and you will find the new beast extremely comfortable , with great ingress and egress!!

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got several of my friends that are 6'2"-6'5" that's never had that big of a problem getting behind the wheel of mine, I think the Biggest problem some people have is how Round they are!
Believe me roundness is a bigger problem than height when I first got mine I was about 270 and comfortable but over the over the last year by being off work and having a few surgeries ballooned up to 305 still fit but have to get situated. Always joke that if I get any bigger I won't fit in my cars, SUV no problem lol, but weights starting to come off now since the knees are fixed for awhile thank God.
Never did put in a seat lowering kit, drove 1 with a 2" kit (gen4) and I just didn't have any leg support, a 1" would probably be perfect though.
I think Terry is about 6'6" judging by a picture of us standing by one another, not sure exactly though.

OP
OP
K

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kratos,

No worries and the reason you are getting so many answers on the older cars is that one person may be 6'3" with long legs, and another is the same height with a long torso. Mark Jorgensen , our Viper Motorsports Mgr is 6'3" , but has a long torso and needed a 2 inch kit to get into his 2008 Viper. We have had some folks at 6'5" , but with long legs, who did not need a kit at all, so keep in mind one does have to view their body type. On the other hand , using Mark J. as an example, he jumped into a 2013 Viper in Detroit , with a helmet on, and had no problem -- I think he was even surprised at how much more room there is. The key word , though, is not modified, it is designed , as Ralph and crew listened very well to the concerns of taller and bigger drivers and they designed the car to fit alot more folks. The Kudos go to the Design Team and you will find the new beast extremely comfortable , with great ingress and egress!!

I'm new here but you seem to be a reputable dealer. I'll be talking with you about buying this new beast in the near future.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another hot tip for big guys in coupes, is to simply remove the thick, padded sun visors. Just take them completely out, and the interior will feel much more spacious.

They are useless for sun control for big guys, as when down they totally block the windshield.

It only takes 1 minute to remove both of them. If you do not like it, another minute they are back in. Just a couple screws.

OP
OP
K

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another hot tip for big guys in coupes, is to simply remove the thick, padded sun visors. Just take them completely out, and the interior will feel much more spacious.

They are useless for sun control for big guys, as when down they totally block the windshield.

It only takes 1 minute to remove both of them. If you do not like it, another minute they are back in. Just a couple screws.

Good point. Thanks.