Gen 1 Wheel Swap to Gen 3 H-Spoke

mmcc269

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm storing my Gen 1 / 3-spoke wheels and replacing with a Set of Razor H Spokes with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Tires. Front 275/35 ZR18...Rear 345/30 ZR19.

Question: who has just bolted a swap on and driven with no alignment or do you recommend a complete alignment / rake adjustment with the swap?

racerjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done it, all i did was bolt them on, never noticed a difference except for the speedo is off a bit (new tires are bigger)

Best upgrade is wheels, they change the look of any car.

Post some pics when you get them on.:2tu:

OP
OP
M

mmcc269

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes there is an increase in size going from a 17" around to 18" F and 19" rear the tires are low profile so size is not a hugh change but I've heard folks say an alignment is necessary and other's like racerjim say it's fine. I'll wait to hear a few more comments before I do a full alignment but the car is up for the winter in NJ so April / May is when I would address any way.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think a alighnment will throw a big differance unless it allready out of spec. period.. maybe tweek the toe in front if it makes you feel better

Sainthitch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you should have no problem at all. Guys don't get an alignment every time they change to a different wheel. like bluesrt said, unless you already had a problem, you should have no issues.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The alignment needs to be set up for the street or the track. Depending on how you use the car. The wheel diameter is the wheel diameter. The alignment is the alignment........Two seperate issues. I have found that the gas pedal has a direct effect on rear tire wear though!

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I swapped to gen 3 wheels and never did alignment. Feels great but keeping an eye out on how my tires wear down

1997GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I put the 3rd gen rims on years ago and already on second full set of tires and no issues. The speedo is off by a few miles per hour at 65 but nothing big. Had an alignment done with them on and not much different from stock. I use my stock for track and 2004 rims for daily driving and no issues with same alignment on wear on either set.

OP
OP
M

mmcc269

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I put the 3rd gen rims on years ago and already on second full set of tires and no issues. The speedo is off by a few miles per hour at 65 but nothing big. Had an alignment done with them on and not much different from stock. I use my stock for track and 2004 rims for daily driving and no issues with same alignment on wear on either set.

Thanks... My alignment has been spot on with stock 17s so ill just swap out and drive... If I notice a difference ill have an alignment with the 19/18 set up. My local dodge dealer just installed a hunter alignment system maybe have it rechecked around May/June.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you go from 17" wheels to 18"/19" wheels you will change the caster! You'll have less caster in the front and more caster in the rear. With less caster in the front your steering response will be slower and if your an average driver, you may not notice it. Also caster wont change the tire wear.

OP
OP
M

mmcc269

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you go from 17" wheels to 18"/19" wheels you will change the caster! You'll have less caster in the front and more caster in the rear. With less caster in the front your steering response will be slower and if your an average driver, you may not notice it. Also caster wont change the tire wear.

Thanks Chuck... I'm planning to schedule some time at your shop come early May to work out a few things.