Where are the Performance #'s

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am seriously contemplating buying the new car but I wont until I see the performance numbers. I was very disappointed with the #s sent out with the gen V brochure, 0-60=3.5 and 1/4 mile 11.5. I shouldve just kept the Gen4. When spending $100k++ I want to know that I am getting a good value for the money. Its gonna be a huge disappointment if it cant beat the current ZR1. Im sure it wont beat the turbo 911 or the GTR.

Im still hoping that mopar will have some special performance goodies that will bump the HP close to 700 and still maintain factory warranty and driveability. That is a way to get around the HP wars with the parent company flagship cars.

Has anyone heard when the mags will have their hands on a production car to test?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reviews said engineers commented the Gen V will get 0-60 in under 3 seconds, I expect it will and it will run 10's in the 1/4 mile. It is going to be a beast.

Why are they not publishing numbers yet? Perhaps because they are just still mules. Perhaps they are toying with Chevy. Who knows.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Respectfully, I don't see a 2wd car that needs to make a human shift before 60 mph doing 0-60 in less that 3 sec.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the same, before making the move.
My expectations are, it needs to be quite faster compared to the ZR1. If not I'll just keep what I got..

djhartm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT is being awfully quite of late...

January will be my month to pull the trigger; Viper, GT-R, or wait a bit for the C7.

The new 911 Turbo I'm sure will be impressive, but it is sure to be out of my price range.

Very odd that no performance data has been released whatsoever.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone even think the new Viper would be slower than the Gen IV or ZR1 or GTR and "SRT" expect them to sell with good press? I have no doubts the Gen V will be capable to run 10's in the 1/4 stock. This isn't a brand new car... They took a solid platform and improved it... in many ways. They didn't reinvent the wheel here..

Who cares what the performance numbers are. Be it 2.9 secs 0-60, 3.0, 3.3. or 3.5 what its going to matter? Internet bragging rights? The real numbers are at the track.

More power, more torque, lighter flywheel, better driveline, short shifter, less weight, better tires, better electronics and driver controls with launch control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTevFbLfm3g

Same driver, ZR1, same track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-zb6tP3nt4

Last edited:

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am seriously contemplating buying the new car but I wont until I see the performance numbers. I was very disappointed with the #s sent out with the gen V brochure, 0-60=3.5 and 1/4 mile 11.5. I shouldve just kept the Gen4. When spending $100k++ I want to know that I am getting a good value for the money. Its gonna be a huge disappointment if it cant beat the current ZR1. Im sure it wont beat the turbo 911 or the GTR.

Im still hoping that mopar will have some special performance goodies that will bump the HP close to 700 and still maintain factory warranty and driveability. That is a way to get around the HP wars with the parent company flagship cars.

Has anyone heard when the mags will have their hands on a production car to test?

As ACRucrazy says really well "More power, more torque, lighter flywheel, better driveline, short shifter, less weight, better tires, better electronics and driver controls with launch control", so do you really need to see an article that tells you it is faster?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no doubt that this version will be quicker than older. But, we are getting to the point where acceleration is virtually impossible to improve beyond what it is. The Viper is going to be a monster around a track.

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marketing probably does not want to tip there Hand to the Competion until necessary . IMHO :eater:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess everyone's looking for something different, as far as performance numbers. To me, a truely balanced car that is a track star is what counts- lap times, baby. The Z06 will always lose in a straight line to the ZR1, but in the corners the Z06 has turned faster laps at a number of tracks despite it's 100+ HP deficit. So even if the Viper doesn't surpass a ZR1 in 0-60 for example (which I think it will), I want to see how it does on a road course. That's what counts to me. And based on the nearly unamimous raves about the Gen V on the track, I know it won't dissappoint.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at it this way... Buy the Viper and nobody will ever have to circle your car with a discriminating eye to see if your car has the Big Dog motor or the entry level motor like with the ZR1. My guess is that by April the 2013 orders will be finished and they will be taking orders on 2014's regardless of what the C7 looks like.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As ACRucrazy says really well "More power, more torque, lighter flywheel, better driveline, short shifter, less weight, better tires, better electronics and driver controls with launch control", so do you really need to see an article that tells you it is faster?

Well, an article just showed us that it isn't....

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Respectfully, I don't see a 2wd car that needs to make a human shift before 60 mph doing 0-60 in less that 3 sec.
Very well said and probably true. Im thinking 3.3 at best. Not worried about a ZR1 even with my current ACR but the 911 turbo is another story. What an awesome car.

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the same, before making the move.
My expectations are, it needs to be quite faster compared to the ZR1. If not I'll just keep what I got..
Probably will be neck and neck with the ZR1.....dont expect a beat down thats for sure. Sub second 3.0 60's are a pipe dream....3.4-3.5 is the best they will get. Dare to dream guys....dare to dream...not going to happen.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can always tell the real car guys vs the magazine bench racers, once they resort to quoting 0-60 times. 0-60 is based on traction mostly, especially at these power levels. If I'm at a dinner party and someone starts magazine racing, I try my best to walk away. These cars will be quicker than the Gen 4, no doubt here.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can always tell the real car guys vs the magazine bench racers, once they resort to quoting 0-60 times. 0-60 is based on traction mostly, especially at these power levels. If I'm at a dinner party and someone starts magazine racing, I try my best to walk away. These cars will be quicker than the Gen 4, no doubt here.

+1 , its pathetic

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at it this way... Buy the Viper and nobody will ever have to circle your car with a discriminating eye to see if your car has the Big Dog motor or the entry level motor like with the ZR1. My guess is that by April the 2013 orders will be finished and they will be taking orders on 2014's regardless of what the C7 looks like.

EXACTLY!!!!!! This is the exact reason I won't buy a ZR1 or Shelby. Because no one will have a clue you have the 100K motor. You'll look like everybody else on the road who paid 1/3 of what you paid. I want everybody to know I have a big dog as soon as they see it. Cause the only people who could tell you had a ZR1 vs a regular vette are the small minority of motor lovers like us.