Monday we find out who is faster at Laguna Seca, ZR1 or Gen V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one is gonna come put 2+ seconds on Pobst time. So all that will happen when Dodge sends out a test driver is he will get a slightly better time. Great, now the factory backed SRT viper test driver cant beat Pobst with only 5 laps in a ZR1, this accomplishes nothing and only makes matters worse.

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are clueless enough to think that these super modded cars would surpass a manufacturers standards for reliability and government standards for emissions (from a manufacturer), you don't have a clue. SRT doesn't have it as simple as driving through a 5 minute drive thru in one car to pass emissions.

I respect that, but FYI there is no tire with that much tread on it other than a super soft Hoosier wet (that would melt in a lap or two) that will run with MPSC. You can even see that Pirelli's fastest DOT tire looks almost identical to the MPSC. Don't believe the hype.

Last I saw Schumacher wasn't driving at laguna. I'm comparing Randy to the mag drivers and test drivers we are likely to see. Fact of the matter is that a test driver with a factory full of setup guys at the track with him can probably go faster, but if it's not the same day under the same conditions, it doesn't really prove anything. Take a stock Gen V, straight from the showroom to the track, do 5 laps and beat Randy. That will prove something, but I bet they still aren't going to beat the ZR1. Or better yet accept Randy's challenge and have Randy drive for his reputation vs someone that can challenge him and watch the Viper go faster.

But if you think for 1 second he's 2 seconds off the pace under that criteria, you are smoking.

Look man, either take my challenge or put a lid on it and stay on subject. We can both send $1500 to a 3rd party (insurance for a no show). Schedule a Friday drag night in conjunction with a road course event. I'll even handicap you on the Road Course. Im not good at drag racing and my car is not set up for it. But it's worth it to see if you are all talk.

I told you to come to NC Rockingham anytime you want a beat down on the track and where is my call out to you about NY? Yes SRT could put a forced air induction version to pass emissions on their current block without any issues but the problem is will they since Fiat(Ferrari) has them by the balls. You my friend first believed there was no way a street tire RWD 6speed version can keep up with a AWD CST super car and be reliable which has been done. Why did Hennsessey just put out a car on the GM 7.0 liter 6speed with 1244 hp being produced under all these guidelines. I wouldn't buy one even I had the money but I believe SRT team could at least make 800hp out of there 8.4liter motor without any issues that would allow a good driver to run mid 10s on factory tires.

Last edited:

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I told you to come to NC Rockingham anytime you want a beat down on the track and where is my call out to you about NY? Yes SRT could put a air induction version to pass emissions on their current block without any issues but the problem is will they since Fiat(Ferrari) has them by the balls. You my friend first believed there was no way a street tire RWD 6speed version can keep up with a AWD CST super car and be reliable which has been done. Why did Hennsessey just put out a car on the GM 7.0 liter 6speed with 1244 hp being produced under all these guidelines. I wouldn't buy one even I had the money but I believe SRT team could at least make 800hp out of there 8.4liter motor without any issues that would allow a good driver to run mid 10s on factory tires.

SRT will not be allowed to surpass the F12 in power to weight. It is as simple as that. Secondly, I assure you the ability to control emission on a forced induction car is much, much easier than a NA car. I assure you SRT probably couldn't make a 800 HP NA engine reliably, have it run on 91 octane in CA, and pass emissions. It won't happen. You need the forced induction to have better control on the A/F ratio and you need the exhaust to run hotter to have a better chemical reaction in the catalysts.

At best, we will see SRT maybe upgrade the HP to 665, which still keeps SRT under the power to weight ratio of the F12, but we won't get more. Period.

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT will not be allowed to surpass the F12 in power to weight. It is as simple as that. Secondly, I assure you the ability to control emission on a forced induction car is much, much easier than a NA car. I assure you SRT probably couldn't make a 800 HP NA engine reliably, have it run on 91 octane in CA, and pass emissions. It won't happen. You need the forced induction to have better control on the A/F ratio and you need the exhaust to run hotter to have a better chemical reaction in the catalysts.

At best, we will see SRT maybe upgrade the HP to 665, which still keeps SRT under the power to weight ratio of the F12, but we won't get more. Period.

I agree doing the 800hp won't be NA for sure. It will have to be twins or blower and yes getting it to pass emissions, epa etc won't be an issue it is Ferrari. GM doesn't have that issue they will make the C7 ZR1 or Z06 well over 700hp for sure making it faster on both the track and quarter mile even they stick with a 6speed RWD. That's why many smart people will hold off on the Gen V because it doesn't keep up with the peformance like many others. I wouldn't be suprised if GTR steps up for 2014 making a more trackable version of the GTR with more power. When the numbers were released back in the reveal I didn't even consider the new Gen V for my next purchased because I knew it was going to be a flop. I said if they don't use a forced air induction then it wouldn't keep up plain and simple.

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bluestreak , i must be smocking cause i'm sure Randy is off the pace with the Viper, everytime he was afraid to push the car. That's why I said he's not world class. A world class driver can get the best out of any car within a few laps but anyway you seems stuburn so I let you with your little moment of glory.....:headbang:

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree doing the 800hp won't be NA for sure. It will have to be twins or blower and yes getting it to pass emissions, epa etc won't be an issue it is Ferrari. GM doesn't have that issue they will make the C7 ZR1 or Z06 well over 700hp for sure making it faster on both the track and quarter mile even they stick with a 6speed RWD. That's why many smart people will hold off on the Gen V because it doesn't keep up with the peformance like many others. I wouldn't be suprised if GTR steps up for 2014 making a more trackable version of the GTR with more power. When the numbers were released back in the reveal I didn't even consider the new Gen V for my next purchased because I knew it was going to be a flop. I said if they don't use a forced air induction then it wouldn't keep up plain and simple.

I agree with your sentiments. I kind of have the feeling like the Gen V is incomplete. I don't think it needs 800 HP. I think using an aluminum frame and chromoly instead of steel where it could would have been great. Adding HP reaches a point of diminishing returns on a car for me. A 3,100 lb car with better suspension dynamics for stellar 0-60 would have been everything needed. 640 HP is plenty. However, add a dry sump and DI, we could push to 680-700 HP. The dry sump should net about 10-12 and the DI the same. However, with DI, we would have better control of fuel delivery and therefore ignition timing. It may allow the car to be designed with a higher CR and slightly more aggressive tune. This would be what puts the engine at 700 HP. But, not only did SRT not receive funding to do this, Fiat wont let them surpass the F12.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but anyway you seems stuburn so I let you with your little moment of glory.....:headbang:

As an ex-pat Cnadian, it pains me to ask if anyone can translate this to English?

CV, your post hurts the feelings of your English teachers. Run things through a spell and grammar checker first, especially if you are trying to talk smack.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MoPar parts may solve that problem but at the cost of the warrenty. Reliability may well be there but not the warrenty.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MoPar parts may solve that problem but at the cost of the warrenty. Reliability may well be there but not the warrenty.

I wouldn't worry about that. SRT already showed us performance parts that I bet keep your warranty in tact if you use an authorized dealer for install.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please Mr. Moderator, put in an auto check system. It hurts to read the last two posts.

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with your sentiments. I kind of have the feeling like the Gen V is incomplete. I don't think it needs 800 HP. I think using an aluminum frame and chromoly instead of steel where it could would have been great. Adding HP reaches a point of diminishing returns on a car for me. A 3,100 lb car with better suspension dynamics for stellar 0-60 would have been everything needed. 640 HP is plenty. However, add a dry sump and DI, we could push to 680-700 HP. The dry sump should net about 10-12 and the DI the same. However, with DI, we would have better control of fuel delivery and therefore ignition timing. It may allow the car to be designed with a higher CR and slightly more aggressive tune. This would be what puts the engine at 700 HP. But, not only did SRT not receive funding to do this, Fiat wont let them surpass the F12.

I agree as NA that would have been sufficient until the C7 ZR1 or Z06 got revealed then I think they need to step up to force induction. The mods you listed above would have been sufficient as first SRT Viper but not the killer everyone wanted. With Ferrari F12 coming out that is the reason why I didn't want the new Viper under Fiat.

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL
Srt makes part put on car with warrenty that makes go more faster we should all do that with new Viper.

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, Merry Xmas to all those in this thread that have shown constructive imput in a positive fashion. Secondly, the following is not meant out of disrespect for anyone. Also keep in mind I have owned both a Gen I and Gen II. My wife is a non car person with no dog in this fight, I had her peruse these threads and I then asked her to give me a a short description of the motivation behind the negative posts.

MOTIVATION FOR POSTING

Ignorance, stupidity, total moronotosus has set in
Hate
Jealousy
Short term memory loss (multiple post saying same thing) (multiple posts say same thing and being the same fool)
Napoleon complex
Works for GM
Owns or wants A GM Volt
Cannot afford a Gen V
Inter Viper platform jealousy
Banned from all other car forums
Laughed at on all other car forums
Don't know when they are being laughed at by friends and family
Envy
Thought Benedict Arnold was a hero
Voted for Obama
Think Mayor Bloomberg is an American hero
Think that Acorn is a nut
Posted during down time when picketing in Michigan during the signing of the "right to work" law
Have not yet received their "fair share"
Suffer from Humanus Slackass Erictis (pants on the ground)

For those haters in this thread, which description describes you? Perhaps you fall into multiple selections. Merry Xmas and please go back to your spider holes.

Well although I don't consider myself a hater, I see that I'm number 5 on the list, Napoleon Complex. I'm rather short in stature, so I try and make it up with 345 series tires (front and rear, mind you) and 600 plus hp. I even lowered my Viper to the absolute lowest setting just so I would look taller standing next to it :2tu:

Luckily for me, Dodge had the brilliance to outfit the Viper with adjustable pedals and by putting a New York City phone book on the drivers seat, I can now see over the steering wheel (when adjusted to the lowest setting). Heck, since my feet are so far back from the firewall I barely feel any engine heat....ha, take that you six footers!! Nothing is better than taking my Viper to the drive thru at Starbucks and ordering a Latte in a heavy French accent but in a very demanding and forceful tone. Really, it sends chills down my freakishly short spine.

On a sincere note, I hope everybody had a fantastic Christmas and it looks like 2013 will be a fantastic year for petrol heads around the globe. I'm already sensing a positive performance outcome for our new Gen 5 :usa:

Happy New Year To All,

George

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I understand the Nissan GTR will be bumped to 585 HP.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Mr. Moderator.....please put everybody out of the misery of this post and close it.

P.S. Ban the Trolls

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motion thirded, we are LONG past the point of discussion and can not seem to be or stay constructive.

V

VCA Forum Staff

Mama June says....

MamaJune.jpg

Good job! :2tu:

Status
Not open for further replies.