Monday we find out who is faster at Laguna Seca, ZR1 or Gen V

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if it is the Viper then the new Beast is faster than an ACR, Impressive.

Bruce

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if that ZR1 had PS Cups on it. It looks like it does because those are the lightweight rims that come on the Centennial Edition. It's fair if it has the Cups since the Viper has the track pack.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ZR1 has a full aero kit on it. The Viper does NOT have the aero kit on it. It is not an apples to apples comparison. If the Viper won, I will be surprised.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ZR1 has a full aero kit on it. The Viper does NOT have the aero kit on it. It is not an apples to apples comparison. If the Viper won, I will be surprised.

What aero kit? The ZR1 has the normal stock splitter and spoiler.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a race car driver in the 2010 ACR instead of engineer Dick Winkler and reset the record.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It should be close and we'll see how much of an advantage, if any, the carbon ceramic brakes will afford the ZR1.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's good to see Randy Pobst driving new Gen V .
I wish I knew what day they were testing. Laguna Seca is just a couple of miles from my home. Would of got the results and posted it here..:D

Last edited:

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using logic I go with the Viper. If the ZR-1 could have it would have done it before now. The drag strip times have only slighlty improved, but I think the new 3:55's and the 640 n/a hp will own the Corvette on the road course.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does that mean all the records the 2010 ACR set was not apples to apples? I do recall reading the gen v is a second faster per lap, dunno if there is any truth to that though..

This thread should be fun. Glad I'm getting on a plane for London in 2 hrs. After the last few days in the gen V sub forum, I think its a perfect time for VCA OFF!

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a side note, this is not really apples to apples. The Z06 vs the SRT Viper would be apples to apples. The GTS vs the ZR1 would have been apples to apples if some want to get overly technical about. I really hope it's the SRT that took the crown.

To be fair it could be the ZR1 that did it. A ZR1 with cup tires did beat the 08 ACR 7:22 Nurburgring time by 4 secs. This Laguna record is by a pre-2010 ACR so it's possible that its the ZR1 that has the crown.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a race car driver in the 2010 ACR instead of engineer Dick Winkler and reset the record.

This is the most important point. Read the article. The record was beat by 2/10 of a second. Again, I repeat, a professional driver beat an engineers time by 2/10 of a second. This for me still has the Gen IV ACR as a faster car.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll say this, with SRT putting "Easter Eggs" of all the big tracks (laguna being one) throughout the car, if it doesn't stomp over the competition, it will be a bit passe.

I hope they are there for a reason - because it is an insane beast.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be fair it could be the ZR1 that did it. A ZR1 with cup tires did beat the 08 ACR 7:22 Nurburgring time by 4 secs. This Laguna record is by a pre-2010 ACR so it's possible that its the ZR1 that has the crown.

I was talking to one of the SRT Engineers who was saying the 08 was simulated to do 7:17 or thereabouts. After watching the 7:22 video I can see that the driver wasn't very familiar with the vehicle and made a few errors, and that 7:16 was quite possible given better prep time for the run. The ZR1 is fast but I'm pretty sure the ACR is a faster track vehicle simply because of the aero.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was talking to one of the SRT Engineers who was saying the 08 was simulated to do 7:17 or thereabouts. After watching the 7:22 video I can see that the driver wasn't very familiar with the vehicle and made a few errors, and that 7:16 was quite possible given better prep time for the run. The ZR1 is fast but I'm pretty sure the ACR is a faster track vehicle simply because of the aero.

I think you got my post wrong. I know the pre 2010 ACR's were capable of being faster than the 7:22 but that's the time that did at that time. What I was trying to get across, and it seems I did a poor job it, was that with the cup tires the ZR1 may be capable of doing it at Laguna It's a very different track than the Nurbergring.

If I remember correctly the past ZR1's time at Laguna wasn't too far off the ACR time and that run wasn't on cup tires. If Pobst is driving this ZR1 with cups it's possible it could beat the ACR time. I personally think its the SRT that did it though.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

+1 Randy Pobst > Chris Winkler

This is the most important point. Read the article. The record was beat by 2/10 of a second. Again, I repeat, a professional driver beat an engineers time by 2/10 of a second. This for me still has the Gen IV ACR as a faster car.

+1......

Yeah, if they had Dirk Werner driving the 08 to begin with he would have gone faster than the ZR1 has gone. The guy driving the Viper was bouncing off of the rev limiter for a majority of the lap. And it was his first time in the car and I think they only got like 4 laps total or something if I recall correctly. Not exactly conditions for a great time, even with a pro guy.

That being said, I still contend that Jan Magnussen would go faster than Jim Mero in the ZR-1, but still not as fast as the 10'

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It also has side aero. I did not say it was not stock. It remains true that it has the benefit of additional downforce from the aero on it when the Viper does not have same. The ACR broke the record in part because of its aero. I think that the extra down force provides an edge. ( no pun intended.) An apples to apples comparison would be the Viper with the aero package we all saw at VOI and which was shown at SEMA and the ZR1 pictured.

What aero kit? The ZR1 has the normal stock splitter and spoiler.

Last edited:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally a legitimate gun fight, out in the wild west.

I think the ZR1 is a good match for the Viper, this should be interesting. Similar HP, similar price. The Viper will likely prevail, but hey, I might be biased :D. I am curious what impact the ZR1's aero tidbits will have. Did the previous ZR1 that ran Laguna Seca have the same?

In any event, win or lose, I want this fight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave