Car&Driver:ZR1 beats the Viper...again

OP
OP
S

stingray23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slaloms in the mid 40s? My lifted wrangler with boggers can do that. Is that a typo? I would expect somewhere around the mid 70s.

No, ts not a typo. I had to re-read a couple of times. Its says a 610 ft slalom.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are cruising on the hwy on the new viper, and see a ZR1 coming up in your rear view mirror, get off the hwy and avoid the bus
Lengths he is going to put on you.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The crazy thing is a GTR will smoke both. But the Viper looks way better than both and it's American. I will add a new Viper one day. Will wait and see what SRT does with the ACR and Vert. Would love to see Viper on top.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The crazy thing is a GTR will smoke both. But the Viper looks way better than both and it's American. I will add a new Viper one day. Will wait and see what SRT does with the ACR and Vert. Would love to see Viper on top.

I don't see the GTR beating a ZR1 with ps cups around any track. I would like to see it up against the Viper with Corsas.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's blame Randy Pobst!!!

Oh wait..........

Wow, go figure, same day, same driver, same setups, same track, same time gap. SRT can't keep blaming the driver forever. Put some MICHELIN PILOT SPORT CUPS on the Viper please!!!!!!

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So even with a different driver that everyone was complaining about, the viper still got its ass handed to it by 2secs @ Laguna Seca! what new excuses are you guys gonna come up with now?

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we are going to start this whole conversation again? You have a corvette troll starting this thread. I think all the issues have been discussed. Time for the moderator to close this one too.

FLYTWA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Performace aside I don't think the car had the Laguna interior unless they're now offering it in multi color and not just black or Sepia.

Fly

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still confused by the "bad seats" and "brake fade" complaints. Since 2003, the brakes have been damn good, and I've never heard anyone complain about fading issues. Is this the exact same car that MT tested, or did SRT ***** the brakes? With the brake hardware, did they just completely screw up on the pads?
As for the seats, I find them really comfortable in my Gen III. The bolstering not only keeps you in place for hard driving, but to me, they actually make the harsh ride seem not too bad.

I feel the same way. I have a Gen 3 as well. This is my second Viper and I've driven them from coast to coast with a more comfortable ride than my CC. But, I know Ferrari. I have driven several and their seats are GARBAGE for anything but the track. stiff as a log and just as comfortable. So it seems the new Viper got screwed by Fiat in the power and seats departments.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Performace aside I don't think the car had the Laguna interior unless they're now offering it in multi color and not just black or Sepia.

Fly

Yeah, that doesn't look like the Laguna Sepia interior. Also looks like a typo for the Viper's rear tire size.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly did you guys expect. The Viper weighs more and has less power. When I first pointed this out, I was told, yes but, the Vette has a supercharger and the Viper is NA. I always figured the Viper needs to be a statement car and should come out with 700 HP and blow everything else away and really kick butt like it did when it first came out, when nothing else was close.

Unfortunately with these past 2 articles, the Viper definitely has made a statement. Just not sure it was the statement that they were looking for.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we are going to start this whole conversation again? You have a corvette troll starting this thread. I think all the issues have been discussed. Time for the moderator to close this one too.

That's BS! I'm a multi viper owner and die hard fan and want this thread to stay up! I want SRT to take notice and get the car right! They need to listen to us owners! So we lost, do you think by closing the thread that makes it all better?! So the only threads that should remain, should be those praising the car? This crying about losing and making excuses is making the current car and owners the laughing stock of the industry :mad:

OP
OP
S

stingray23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly did you guys expect. The Viper weighs more and has less power. When I first pointed this out, I was told, yes but, the Vette has a supercharger and the Viper is NA. I always figured the Viper needs to be a statement car and should come out with 700 HP and blow everything else away and really kick butt like it did when it first came out, when nothing else was close.

Unfortunately with these past 2 articles, the Viper definitely has made a statement. Just not sure it was the statement that they were looking for.

Huh? The Viper weighs only 3lbs more and has 2 hp more. I call that even.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting read about having to go slower in two stock cars because of the soumd limit inforcement.

With that, the ZR1, plastic fantastic, a $50,000 Corvette with $76,000 in upgrades. I'll take Viper any day of the week. The enjoyment others and I get seeing a Viper is well worth the two or any amount of seconds any magazine gives a Corvette at any track.

Long live the ACR!

tbi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My humble opinion.

The zr1 is set up better with better brakes and tires. it is what it is. average driver or pro driver theres a two second gap around LS.

However I still wont be surprised if a pro from the srt team beats the zr1s new record.

Number two....dang 0-60 in 3.2 is movin and it beat the zr1 in the quarter mile by a tenth. cant complain

but whst the heck is up with the 0-150 in 17.8

Gen3 is 19.5
Z06 is 17.5
Zr1 is 16.8
Gen4 is 16.4

Genv is 17.8????!???????!!!!!!!!

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel the same way. I have a Gen 3 as well. This is my second Viper and I've driven them from coast to coast with a more comfortable ride than my CC. But, I know Ferrari. I have driven several and their seats are GARBAGE for anything but the track. stiff as a log and just as comfortable. So it seems the new Viper got screwed by Fiat in the power and seats departments.

You guys forget that the gen 5 seats are nothing like the gen 3/4 seats! They look way thinner and lighter aka race seats.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for arguments sake, the information and results are the same although with a different magazine. The last thread on this topic had 748 responses, both positive and negative, and with 35,000 views. Do you not think SRT got the message? What new information is going to be unveiled ?

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice how much wider the track is on the ZR1? I didn't know it had a wider track.

There is also a typo on the rear tire size for the Viper, it states 335's, maybe they tested a Gen II??? :D

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What happened with this? I was all excited the first time it was announced..
You must be registered for see images attach

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is very very very bad news for SRT.... How can they justify those price points and perfomance to the "new breed of Viper owner."

Why oh why did they give these rags the cars now? How are they gonna sell these?

This really *****!!

Two strikes now in public.

I am a very depressed owner....

It should have been a 700HP monster! :(

People always bought it because it was a bad ass killer... now "Hey thats a nice interior"...... groan!!

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? We are going to do this again in another thread? One thread closes due to 25 pages of crap and we are starting again here? Really? Hasn't everything been said?

Disappointed in the constant bashing most of you are posting. I am just thankful there even is a new Viper.

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So much for that dreaded heat soaked engine....I get it the Viper WILL WIN IF IT IS ALLOWED TO RACE 5 LAPS....I am definitely keeping my Paxton car as I really do like the seats also.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone that is actually putting up the cash to buy one upset?

All I see are people who weren't going to order complaining about the numbers.

Straight line figures are improving with every review, 3.2sec 0-60 is ****ing fast off the line. Geez, y'all never be happy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper