Latest from Edmunds. Dyno test.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But 700 would be oh so much better right?:drive:

I agree that 700 or even 740 would be awesome but I'd still take an FGT with 550 over the Viper and the Viper over the ZR1 and the ZR1 over the GT500 or a 1970 Cuda or Superbird with 425 over all of those... :dunno:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with that one. The LS9 (and LS7) follow a specific set of SAE standards for torque testing, and every one of them out of the Wixom plant are within a few HP of the rated number. There was nothing special about the car Edmund's got for testing; it was no different than one you or I could buy off a dealer's lot.

jas

This is nonsense. Your blind fanboyism is very annoying.

jvp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is nonsense. Your blind fanboyism is very annoying.

And your ignorance is amazing, but continue believing what you will. I can provide all sorts of documentation regarding the LS9's SAE ratings if you'd like, but you could find the same things just by looking a little. You have absolutely zero evidence this car was a ringer.

jas

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could we possibly have a conspiracy to funnel advertising dollars from Government Motors:rolleyes: Hmmmm:lmao:

Move this thread over to the political forum...:lmao:

All kidding aside it could very well be.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And your ignorance is amazing, but continue believing what you will. I can provide all sorts of documentation regarding the LS9's SAE ratings if you'd like, but you could find the same things just by looking a little. You have absolutely zero evidence this car was a ringer.

jas

I have no evidence that the car was a ringer, nor do I doubt the outcome, however your absolute assurance of this test being accurate is quite suspect to me.

jvp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
however your absolute assurance of this test being accurate is quite suspect to me.

Why's that? I happen to know for a fact that GM doesn't send ringers, specially tuned, cared for, watched over, etc cars to magazines for shoot-outs. They just grab one and send it to the magazine in question. They'd much rather let the car, in its stock form, do all the talking. That means sometimes it'll win some, other times it'll lose some. They really don't sweat over those details.

Further, if they were caught tampering with the LS9's power output, it could put the SAE HP certification at risk. Given that GM made such a big deal about said certification when the LS7 was launched back in '06, that just doesn't seem to make sense, does it?

My point all along has been: don't rely on comparing chassis dyno results from different days, different cars, different locations, different dyno makes, etc. It's pointless to do so. There are way too many variables that can affect the outcome.

jas

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My point all along has been: don't rely on comparing chassis dyno results from different days, different cars, different locations, different dyno makes, etc. It's pointless to do so. There are way too many variables that can affect the outcome.

jas

I wont dispute the ZR1 put down more than the GTS on that dyno on that day, but 570 or whatever it ended up being (since the Edmunds article left out that small important fact) seems awful high for what most get out of their stock ZR1. Do you not agree?

And what is the torque of the ZR1? 540+? 550? That article is rather useless IMO.

Last edited:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

jas

Zero evidence vs a ZR1 in Cali making over 560 whp on 91 octane? You are only kidding yourself. Lets see your documentation bub. You claimed all this track experience with no knowledge to show for it. So im calling you on this one.

And im the ignorant one? I could put 20 stock zr1 dynos from youtube up here and make you look like a fool.

Last edited:

ipetrov

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph: @edmunds I'll get ahead of this,I agree Our engine IS under stressed & stays that way lap after lap.Runs better with the hood down 568-578hp

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that is what I didn't understand, how is the Viper to pull in air if the intake is blocked?

Or am I missing something...

ipetrov

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read somewhere that there is no fan (used on a chassis dyno) that can simulate air flow at more than 40 mph. It's obvious why the ZR1 is less sensitive to that variable.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read somewhere that there is no fan (used on a chassis dyno) that can simulate air flow at more than 40 mph. It's obvious why the ZR1 is less sensitive to that variable.

True enough, you need a rolling road (like NASCAR) to simulate real world driving. And I think even that goes only up to about 80 iirc. However, the difference will show between having a fan blowing into the intake, no fan blowing into intake but car able to breath open air, and blocking the intake completely. Pretty sure the ZR1 intake isn't completely blocked with the hood up. I think it gets some air through the hood vent, which is in front of the hood line (so hood doesn't obstruct it), and then some from through the radiator vent as well. No way that motor could breath all of it's air through that tiny top vent.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph Gilles Twitter said:
So Mr.Winkles is driving now. I can catch up on work email and a little Twitter. I am digging into this Edmunds ZR1/Viper chassis Dyno test.

GM recently dropped of a few ZR1s to Compare with our viper. They're wearing really good shoes & putting down more power than any customer's

Check out this chart comparing the latest @edmundspress car with retail cars, including our ZR1 store bought tester pic.twitter.com/bzP2ywxc

You must be registered for see images attach
@DB3NTLEY: what are the numbers for the viper?” we've seen as low as 550. Our media cars are never "tuned". New car runs better hood closed

Recent from Ralph

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like GM did not shave the tires for the Leguna Seca test. I admire your loyalty but you appear to be a bit naive.

Why's that? I happen to know for a fact that GM doesn't send ringers, specially tuned, cared for, watched over, etc cars to magazines for shoot-outs. They just grab one and send it to the magazine in question. They'd much rather let the car, in its stock form, do all the talking. That means sometimes it'll win some, other times it'll lose some. They really don't sweat over those details.

Further, if they were caught tampering with the LS9's power output, it could put the SAE HP certification at risk. Given that GM made such a big deal about said certification when the LS7 was launched back in '06, that just doesn't seem to make sense, does it?

jas

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a pretty bold statement. I look forward to your factual evidence.

Why's that? I happen to know for a fact that GM doesn't send ringers, specially tuned, cared for, watched over, etc cars to magazines for shoot-outs.

jas

ipetrov

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph: "Our media cars are never "tuned"". Hmmm, how did the presumably stock '09 GEN IV coupe get SAE 581 hp at the wheels on the same dyno, two years ago, then? Something just doesn't add up. Maybe it's the "two years ago" variable.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats still hearsay but if its true that would explain a lot. The car dynos way high and they use shaved tires. Hmmm. Politics and lies in everything. smh

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950