Latest from Edmunds. Dyno test.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm throwing the penalty flag now. Ever stock ZR1 to date has dyno'd 530-540 rwhp and now this one has a 30+ HP jump? Good job Edmunds. Now we know GM sends a little different vehicle for mag tests. I'm calling their new Laguna record BS now.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the Gen 5 is going to be inexorably linked to the ZR1 forever it appears.

jvp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm throwing the penalty flag now. Ever stock ZR1 to date has dyno'd 530-540 rwhp and now this one has a 30+ HP jump? Good job Edmunds. Now we know GM sends a little different vehicle for mag tests. I'm calling their new Laguna record BS now.

Good luck with that one. The LS9 (and LS7) follow a specific set of SAE standards for torque testing, and every one of them out of the Wixom plant are within a few HP of the rated number. There was nothing special about the car Edmund's got for testing; it was no different than one you or I could buy off a dealer's lot.

Like it or not, that little mouse is still a very potent power plant.

jas

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with that one. The LS9 (and LS7) follow a specific set of SAE standards for torque testing, and every one of them out of the Wixom plant are within a few HP of the rated number. There was nothing special about the car Edmund's got for testing; it was no different than one you or I could buy off a dealer's lot.

Like it or not, that little mouse is still a very potent power plant.

jas

Never said it wasn't a good power plant. What I'm saying is this car had a dyno result of over 30 HP better than what a stock ZR1 usually does and with 91 octane. Sorry, calling BS.

jvp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never said it wasn't a good power plant. What I'm saying is this car had a dyno result of over 30 HP better than what a stock ZR1 usually does and with 91 octane. Sorry, calling BS.

Call it BS all you like, you're wrong. Any other ZR1 off the lot would have tested similarly that day, that time, at that dyno.

Perhaps you'll catch the drift that comparing different chassis dyno tests on different days, times, shops, etc, is about as useful as comparing track times at two different tracks, with two different drivers.

In other words: it's useless to do so. If you want to compare dyno tests, you do so with engine dyno stands in climate controlled rooms. But no magazine in their right mind is going to spend the money to do that.

jas

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Well what more can you say about the ZR1. I love the Viper but man these comparos are just cementing the ZR1's status. Being fully objective you have to give the ZR1 its due. On its maiden voyage its still the baddest American sports car even against the new Viper.

To compete with an FI'd ZR1 the Viper will have to do better than try to tie the peak HP number as SRT has done with the 640hp rating as it cant match the power under the curve of the FI'd ZR1. The Vipers numbers are still impressive especially for an NA car..............but not against the ZR1. There is really nothing else that can be said. Every objective test heavily favors the ZR1. No need for excuses. It is what it is.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the Zr1 has more power and tq but the viper is faster in the 1/4 mile?

Viper is quicker not faster. I believe the ZR1 has the faster mph in the 1/4 which would be in keeping with its higher hp and torque rating. Viper got out the hole better but the ZR1 ran it down and by 150mph it was 1 second and several mph faster than the Viper. The dyno makes sense when you factor in the whole acceleration data and not just the 0-60 and 1/4 mile data.

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is one of the highest "stock" ZR1 dynos I have seen.
I am curious what the comparison would have looked like after 3, 4 or 5 pulls.

And the Viper 558/528 would have to be expected considering Gen IV typically dyno in the 530-540 range.
Did I miss where it mentioned what the numbers were in the article for the ZR1? Or did they just like to post a pretty graph?:dunno:

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"<<In other words: it's useless to do so. If you want to compare dyno tests, you do so with engine dyno stands in climate controlled rooms>>"

I would imagine SRT has definately done this on the Gev V engine. Wonder why they haven't released the test/data results...at least for general information.

strykergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ZR1 is a great car, no doubt about it. I love the raw performance of it, however it just is not the car for me.

When I ordered my gen v and sold my Z06, it was hard for me to stray from the vette given the potency of the ZR1. Two things made me go with the viper: the naturally aspirated engine and unique design. Superchargers are nice, but i personally prefer the way an na car reacts and drives. Also, when you drive that ZR1 down the road, it looks just like every other c6 going down the road. Anyone who thinks or says different is kidding themselves.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is one of the highest "stock" ZR1 dynos I have seen.
I am curious what the comparison would have looked like after 3, 4 or 5 pulls.

And the Viper 558/528 would have to be expected considering Gen IV typically dyno in the 530-540 range.
Did I miss where it mentioned what the numbers were in the article for the ZR1? Or did they just like to post a pretty graph?:dunno:

Wow, hope the 91 Octane is to blame for those numbers. My 08 Viper made 560whp bone stock with about 600 miles on it. :(

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at that 3k-5k RPM difference on the ZR1 to Viper in torque. I'm waiting on production car tests, etc. but this really gets my attention. I hope this is a result of other variables on the dyno and the pre-production car, but the explanations and excuses are having to take the focus away from the car. For the 1st time I'd say I'm glad SRT didn't offer the aero pkg up front, that's what made me wait, and now I'll be waiting a while, I need to see if this is indeed the right move for me and I can't believe I'm even having that thought at all, but I am, a little bit anyway. Keeping the faith til more data is available from a "real" gen5.

But.. all that aside, I've always been impressed with the Z06 and ZR1, but this latest data, very very impressive.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The majority of the the Gen IV's were 520-530 rwhp on an accurate dyno that used the SAE correction factors and normal smoothing.

Last edited:

challenger&viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That whole magazines testing thing is crap, especially when it comes to testing a viper.

Looks like I need to wait for real world numbers. Even thought the current numbers are not promising, but I will wait.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The majority of the the Gen IV's were 520-530 rwhp on an accurate dyno that used the SAE correction factors and normal smoothing.

Nope, that's incorrect. There were other cars that made 550's as well, when we had a dyno day at the Texas Viper Roundup at ART in Buda, Texas. I believe Eric (blk_fstxc) with his SSG 09 ACR made 556rwhp, and I made 553rwhp. I had removed the stock mufflers and lost some power since the 560whp dyno, not to mention the car had 30,000 miles at that point, and both of those numbers came from a Dynojet dyno, with SAE correction. I'd have to check the smoothing if I can find the dyno sheet, but what do you consider "normal"? My original dyno was at HPP Racing in Lewisville, TX. Also believe Doreen's Venom Red 08 Viper made high 540's or low 550's at ART for the Round-up.

FWIW, I've been a firm believer of a hard break-in. Constant RPM/Speed fluctuation (don't stay at one speed for too long), LOTS of load in higher gears (not necessarily redlining the car in 1st gear, but WOT in 4th gear at 30mph, etc.). Every car/bike I've broken in this way has dyno'd higher than other stock (or slightly modified motors) and never burned oil/had issues.

ipetrov

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny that two years ago Edmunds tested the 2009 orange/black striped coupe on the same dyno (MD Automotive). 581 hp / 551 lb-ft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZgn9978shU

I thought the dyno must have been off, as these numbers are way too high for a stock Gen IV on 91 gas. However, that same orange/black striped 09 viper beat (or tied) the ZR1 to 150 mph in the Supercars Exposed match-up. The only possible conclusion that makes sense of all these tests taken together is that the '09 coupe SRT supplied the press back then was, cough "accidentally" cough, a bit of a monster.

Doesn't seem they did that with the Gen V...

tbi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That zr1 is a ringer....

The gen4 viper and zr1 both ALWAYS dyno in the 520-545 rwhp range.

The strongest examples hit in the 545-555 range with the beaste of beaste hitting 560 rwhp.

So now a stock zr1 hits 570 rwhp??? And the more powerful than gen4 genv just 558?

Well its very evedent that gm sent a ringer and dodge a mule. that is by far the highest dynoing stock zr1 in the world.

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Dynojet dyno. They're notorious for reading high.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone mention that Vipers are rare and exclusive:D

Ralph... Note to self... Price a blower

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May as well throw this up too since it's inevitable...

You must be registered for see images attach

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I am old fashioned but the last time I checked, there is no dyno racing circuit. Road course, drag strip and standing mile results have meaning. One dyno test, except for arm chair racers, does not mean much. The ZR1 does get heat soak. It would be interesting to see a comparo where both cars do 20 laps. The heat soak factor does not mean much in the drag context since the top of the engine and the intake can be iced down between runs.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I much prefer the big cubes NA approach. When the GT500 came out in 2007 I cried foul like many others because a GT500 was always a Big motor car but you can't dismiss how far they have come with supercharging and turbos. These numbers really don't change my preference for the Viper but I think SRT should consider offering it as an option in the future. After all they did go back to forged pistons. For me... I can live nicely with 640 NA horsepower.