Diff Cooler temp switch needed

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of putting in a diff cooler in my car very similar (if not exactly) like the ACR-X cooler. The problem that I have run into is the switch to control the oil pump.

The factory part number is P5154012 but there are no assets anywhere and none in the pipeline. It is a 3/8 pipe with 2 terminals on top. I can find single terminal temp switiches but not 2 terminal. I believe the reason for 2 terminals is that the diff is not grounded to the car, where if it was a single would work.

Anyone have a source for a 3/8 pipe 2 terminal switch that comes on at 185 degrees?

thanks
Steve A.

OP
OP
S

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is official. The switch that comes with the ACRX's and with the retro fit kits from Tom F. (P5154012) has been offically discontinued from Dodge w/o replacement.

I do not know what the racers are going to do when their switch goes TU. Can you guys help all of us out? I have a car that won't be hitting the track until I get a new switch.

My quest continues....

Thanks
Steve A.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should be able to come up with a switch that will work. Go to an auto parts store that has a partsman that knows how to read and find stuff in a book. (illustrated parts guide) Not autozone or checker or o'reilly or any bozo-idiot store like that. (those places are for wiper blades, oil, wax, and crap that doesn't matter) The independently owned Napa or Carquest stores usually have at least one older experienced 'smart guy'. ......You may end up with a switch that is 1/4 pipe and have to use a bushing, since 1/4 pipe is more common to auto/light truck applications. Also you may try a heavy truck/equipment place. Like Kenworth, International, Caterpillar, John Deere, or someplace like that. They would also have to use and 'illustrated parts guide' to find it.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Derale has a two prong switch with 3/8" threads....turns on at 180* F and off approximately 15 degrees below that. They have two versions, one that handles 15 amps and one that handles 25 amps. Look at part numer 16739...it may work for you. Derale.com has a nice website with plenty of info on it.

I'm not an expert on the diff cooler you are working on, does the fan just stay on via a switch and the pump only circulates when the diff oil hits 185* or does the pump always run and the temp switch turns on the fan?

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
S

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fans and the pump turn on and off together. The temp switch only controls the ground for the system easier on the wires that way...