ARP main studs

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search on main studs and did not find the answer, I was looking for. I'm doing a paxton build and was curious as to what RWHP level, main studs would be a good idea. My gold is around 800-850rwhp. Lots for people don't mention them in there builds (alway rods and pistions, head studs, ect) Thanks for any input.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year is your Viper? 04 I take it...I would not go past 720rwhp without building the engine up. At that point I would add main studs.

OP
OP
V

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speedracer
Thanks for the reply. Have been keeping up with your 2.8l build. Believe me I know about some of the limits on these motor, I have a Arrow Racing stock rebuild engine in it right now. I'm rebuilding my spear motor and have rods, pistons, bearings ect, but was wondering if at that power level 800-850rwhp is it needed. I guess it would be good insureance but was curious as to what other have used, stock or ARP,s. Going to give Dan a call this week also.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh ok, sounds like you know what you're doing. I would definitely give Dan a call to see the benefits as opposed to stock.

Matt162

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OP
OP
V

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt
How are you? give me a call when you can, no rush. I hear you on the Billet cap but the thing with Caps, you have to get it line honed and that small change make a big difference. A lot of shops may say they know what they are doing, but they don't. With out going into all of it, the build is much simpler if I can get away with just useing Main studs for my RWHP goal.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We recommend studding a block beyond 850 horsepower, and we recommend adding billet mains anywhere beyond 1000 horsepower.

I dont know where you are located, but we can always do the short-block machining and/or assembly for you. Unlike those shops that "say" that they know what they are doing, we actually do- ha.