Would you cut your losses or fix the car?

dirtysocks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to thank Catwood for selling me his car with the same problem, and not informing me.

dirtysocks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car was shipped from him to me, I took car for emissions testing and back to my shop to fill out inspection papers, Car felt rougher than my previous 2 vipers.
I put it on the hoist to check the car I just bought over, noticed the crank pulley and looked odd, noticed the belt out of alignment, then noticed the balancer looked newer.

I said hmmm, let me see here, I noticed the balancer was quite a distance, almost 1/4 inch away from the timing cover, where it's supposed to be flush.
inspected closer and noticed huge grinding marks on the exposed section of the snout, where the balancer had started to spin off. No loctite on bolt, which was finger tight.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude needs a crank. How many more times need it be said?

Oh, yeah... speaking to a blonde... many more... you'll get it in 2024...

Shut up. This would be the Dave fix, clean out the threads. Mix up some JB weld. Screw it in a tight as you could Let it sit for a week or so Then take it down and trade it in or sell it to some dumb blonde. Not me because I would not buy from a Dingbat!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shut up. This would be the Dave fix, clean out the threads. Mix up some JB weld. Screw it in a tight as you could Let it sit for a week or so Then take it down and trade it in or sell it to some dumb blonde. Not me because I would not buy from a Dingbat!

are we talking about the same dave (about the fix part not dumb blonde part) :dunno:

(btw sybil, that loon crack cut straight to the bone :slap:

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave who? Not Dave me, I suggested Helicoil type fix (because he has stripped threads) with new balancer and pinning.
She must mean dave6666.. Dude, you are causing some serious confusion on this thread!

Last edited:

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave who? Not Dave me, I suggested Helicoil type fix (because he has stripped threads) with new balancer and pinning.
She must mean dave6666.. Dude, you are causing some serious confusion on this thread!

No not you. Don't pay any attention to him. This subject is interesting because it has come up several times since I have been a Viper owner and why there was not a recall on this is beyond belief. I don't think a buyer should have to babysit a bolt and balancer on a high performance car such as this but you better if you don't want this major expense. I am getting mine pinned if it hasn't been already to say the least and that bolt is going to get extra double gooey strength Locktite!!!(A Dave6666 funny.)

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No not you. Don't pay any attention to him. This subject is interesting because it has come up several times since I have been a Viper owner and why there was not a recall on this is beyond belief. I don't think a buyer should have to babysit a bolt and balancer on a high performance car such as this but you better if you don't want this major expense. I am getting mine pinned if it hasn't been already to say the least and that bolt is going to get extra double gooey strength Locktite!!!(A Dave6666 funny.)

I believe you have a 96 GTS and that's what I own. Who is going to do it for you? I am not far from Tator and I may have him do mine... Also, Revheats 96 GTS bible does mention this in the Doc...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe you have a 96 GTS and that's what I own. Who is going to do it for you? I am not far from Tator and I may have him do mine... Also, Revheats 96 GTS bible does mention this in the Doc...

T'Foxs car doesn't need it. Since she's banned from the alley she comes here acting all concerned and knowledgeable.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I will get my husband to do it of course.

Dave, I love the pink marks on the bolts. So pretty! :lmao:

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave6666,
it looks like the bolt is more accessible from the top? When I had my car on my lift last fall, I was prepared to take the bolt out and red locktite it and re torque to 250 ft lbs’s but was trying to do it from the underside. It was tight getting the breaker bar in there due to front end components. I was able to get it on there but not as good as I wanted to.. The bolt seemed pretty damn tight and I was unable to remove it but wanted a better plan of attack so I decided to wait for another day.
Thiughts?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The day I took those pics I was checking to make sure it was tight. Obviously a torque wrench not a breaker bar. Anyway, since it was tight and did not move at 250 lb ft, there was no further action needed as 10 years of staying tight was good enough for me to assume it would stay that way.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The day I took those pics I was checking to make sure it was tight. Obviously a torque wrench not a breaker bar. Anyway, since it was tight and did not move at 250 lb ft, there was no further action needed as 10 years of staying tight was good enough for me to assume it would stay that way.
Was it that easy to get to from the top? or were you doing other work and had some components removed in front of engine..
Thanks again!!!

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are factory marks.

They planned ahead just for you.:rainbow: I knew there had to be pink somewhere on your car. Back to the subject. What kind of 90 degree drill is needed for the pinning of balancer that will fit in the space? Air powered, electric? Anyone know?

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They planned ahead just for you.:rainbow: I knew there had to be pink somewhere on your car. Back to the subject. What kind of 90 degree drill is needed for the pinning of balancer that will fit in the space? Air powered, electric? Anyone know?
If you need to buy one, go Electric. That way you can use it anywhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456