Would you cut your losses or fix the car?

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Red ACR I bought in 2009 with 14k miles on it for 37k. The harmonic balancer came loose throwing off the serpentine belt. Myself and ex bro in law fixed using locktite red, torqued to the correct amount and let sit. It lasted another 1.5 seasons until the balancer came loose again, but dethreading the crank snout. My car is in tight storage right now and unfortunately can't get pics. I have no idea what other problems have been the result. I would imagine I would need new bearings and other parts as a result of the problems I have had. Some people say just fix the crank, others say replace the crank and others say go to RSI and build a new engine.

If I went RSI, with shipping, I would be looking at about 6k for a custom engine, a bit of tuning and a two year warranty. But these cars are so cheap now anyway I know I could easily sell it for 25-28K as is since it's pretty mint with the original BBS wheels, all ACR badging, good paint and 25k miles. So I know it's a perfect car for someone looking to just buy and upgrade the engine themselves as it's a super low cost to purchase.

I love the vehicle but don't NEED it. It seems like I have had numerous problems and want to get it fixed RIGHT. I want this car to be functioning like new and I know a place like RSI could help. I would prefer to save the 1500 in shipping and have someone in Michigan do the work but don't know of any good places that could give me an HONEST assessment of what the car needs.

I'm freshly divorced and when this winter is over, it would be nice to keep this car around. But this is an expensive fix, and I know I am in need of fluids changed, new wires, maybe new sway bar end-links and definitely breaks which all add up as well. I'd love to get the car into a garage when someone could honestly assess what it needs because I just don't have this type of knowledge and the dealership wanted 12,000 for a new engine.....um NO.

Thanks for the advice. This happened back in August and I almost went with RSI but decided to sit and think about what I wanted to do. I did get a better government job and I could swing fixing her up but I am wondering if I am better served to just cut the loss and take some cash. I have a potential buyer for 27k as is.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sell it for 27k unless you really like the car, you would be hard pressed to get any higher. 6k for a built motor sounds really cheap, I would budget 10-12k after everything is said and done.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
27K with a broke engine is going to be very tough to get. 6K with shipping isnt going to get you much of an engine, the crank alone is going to run 1K with machining and to pull and tear down an engine plus shipping doesnt leave much room for any kind of engine parts regardless of who is doing it and quality of parts

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds as if you like your Viper, but maybe you now see it as a to-do list vs. a fun car. If that's the case, its time for a new dose of enthusiasm from a new owner.

Sorry to hear about your divorce. Hope you are doing okay now.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. If you are looking for a shop in Michigan, try Arrow. They are a performance shop with experience in vipers.
Good luck.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. If you are looking for a shop in Michigan, try Arrow. They are a performance shop with experience in vipers.
Good luck.

Absolutely. If you want to keep it and get it fixed in MI, definitely check out Arrow.

Good luck.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will look into Arrow. I have heard of them and will look them up on the internet unless asnyone has a contact person and number I should try to coordinate with. Are there any representatives on this forum from arrow? I thought the 6k (with shipping) was pretty cheap from RSI. They said the crank would be about 1.5k so I wasn't sure what else they were going to do to get to 6k unless it was just bearings, seals, etc and then giving me a warranty.

edit: my other potential option is to invest in the crank and get her running as was because I can't imagine too much wrong with the vehicle outside of getting the new crank and then sell for even like 34k which more than offsets the costs. Or I am wondering if there is still a way to use a dethreaded crank? (probably an ignorant question).

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't imagine you need anything more than engine work. That's pretty wimpy to be thinking that from there, you might "cut your losses." I mean, if you hit a water puddle while driving, do you get a repaint?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arrow sounds like a better deal for you logistically. It's really hard to tell how much work($) will be required until the motor is opened up.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can the crank be heli-coiled?
Another question I have is why would the bearings (internal to the engine) be bad if it’s just the harmonic Balancer and pulley that came off (which is external to the motor)?

I am not familiar with the V-10’s but have extensive knowledge of chevy and ford big and small block engines.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard about this. What is the permanent correct fix to avoid this from happening to me?

I can't imagine a stripped out thread worth dumping the car

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard about this. What is the permanent correct fix to avoid this from happening to me?

I can't imagine a stripped out thread worth dumping the car
The fix is to pin it (safest) OR remove the bolt, locktite it (Making SURE you CLEAN the Bolt and the crank threads with a non-residue cleaner) and then re-torque. You have to make sure you clean the threads, Locktite does not like oil or grime!!!

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it to Arrow and keep the car... Or fix it and then sell it. I'd get the car to them now as shops are very busy in the spring...

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fix and sell. If you try to sell as-is you will get burdened with dump truck loads of low ball offers and it will be a p.i.a..

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fix it right. http://www.timesert.com/

The automotive OEMs use them. The military uses them. Arms manufacturers use them. My first use was fixing stripped threads in the wheel stud holes of my magnesium shifter kart front hubs. I use them in highly stressed stud holes in my construction equipment.

It can be done with the engine and crank still in the car.

Last edited:

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, nice call GTS_Dean!!!
I was thinking heli-coil but this looks better!
Most you will have to do is remove some things in the front of the motor to gain good access...
Take your time and you should be good to go!!!

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fix is to pin it (safest) OR remove the bolt, locktite it (Making SURE you CLEAN the Bolt and the crank threads with a non-residue cleaner) and then re-torque. You have to make sure you clean the threads, Locktite does not like oil or grime!!!

This guy said he used locktite and it came loose again. Did he do it wrong or does this happen anyway?

How or where can I find out how to pin it?

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a different way of looking at the situation. I do not know how long you were previously married. In many instances, continual post divorce motions will be filed by the litigants. It becomes less over time, but since you are "freshly" divorced, I would assume that you are just starting the process.

If you have cash in the bank, that cash is readily attachable by a court. A car? Not so much. If you have to prove up your financial position, having cash in the bank may be a significant problem for you.

I would keep the car. It is an asset that is very difficult to attach. If you have to, just let it sit and don't fix it if you do not have the money now. Your financial position will change over time. Good luck.

Plaw

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This guy said he used locktite and it came loose again. Did he do it wrong or does this happen anyway?

How or where can I find out how to pin it?
Roe Racing sells the Kit..

You can do what I do, put a paint mark on the bolt and the pulley and check it on occasion. If the bolt rotates, you will see the mark no longer aligned! Then you can address it before its too late.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roe Racing sells the Kit..

You can do what I do, put a paint mark on the bolt and the pulley and check it on occasion. If the bolt rotates, you will see the mark no longer aligned! Then you can address it before its too late.

Why does this seem to be the only car I have heard this is a problem? Is there some design flaw?

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does this seem to be the only car I have heard this is a problem? Is there some design flaw?
The problem is the crank is not keyed. Do a search, you will find more that had this problem.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$6k ? Really? If that's the case, do it. Spend the money, it will be the best $6k car you could possibly own

rukcus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I run an engine rebuilding company. I use Timesert all the time for head bolt holes. Its easy enough to use and they are really strong. Have someone qualified to drill it. Trying to drill out the old threads by yourself will be difficult because cranks are made out of hardened steel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235