Is Imitation the Sincerest Form of Flattery?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks better than the C6, but I don't think they pushed it (exterior) design wise as they could have.

I don't see any resemblance to the Viper at all, as the R&T picture looked.

Don't get me wrong - it looks good. But I am not sold on the sharp edges. I see too much GT-R in it.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You think Viper fans were upset about "only" a 50HP bump, Corvette fans are upset about 15!

Hopefully the C7 interior is an upgrade, my God the C6 was just substandard.

ArnarFB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the overall look of the car, but it's like they stole a page or two from the GT-R and SRT design books. Looking straight on, it's a bit similar to the SRT Viper and there are parts about the interior that are VERY SRT Viper-ish but their version of the interior already looks dated. Typical GM maybe? That rear end though... No. Just no. I do not like it.

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happy with the look of the new vette: The front copied on the gen 5 and on the 458, the side copied on the aston martin and the rear.........out of a bad, low budget sci-fi movie, like if the front and rear designer did not talk to each other until the very last moment : fugly car IMHO.....

palindrome

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to say I hated the rear end in drawings but seeing it with the bottom as a painted insert in gloss black, it looked a lot better. Would look really nice in gun metal with that black rear insert. And at nearly 1/3 the price of a loaded GTS, I'll take one, but not until a Z06 or ZR1.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well against what most feedback has been on this forum, I like it.

Its unique and fresh. The rear end makes a statement and I for one think it looks very powerful. If the ZR1 (if that's what they will call their flagship) is as strong as anticipated, people will certainly learn to hate it due to the fact that that's how most will see the car....as its pulling ahead. The interior is not great but the red version definitely gets your attention.

I'm with Sybil on the wheels.

Hope they got some fresh colors to go with it as well.

I don't think anyone will mistake this car for something else and that's important in this performance segment. There are a few cars to pick from and they should all be a bit different.

Even though its water under the bridge I do wish the Gen V would have stepped out of the box and been completely 'new' and different as well. This as opposed to taking so much from older designs. Brought it up before....to soon for retro.

Having said that, I have yet to see a Gen V in person and when I do, I may change my mind... one way or another.

The Corvette guys are probably going back and forth just like the Viper community at this point.

........meantime in Dolores, Colorado...........-14 degrees and not liking it. Hard to think about enjoying a road trip to anywhere.......

Matt

Last edited:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just not feeling it at all with that model! That rear end is Pontiac Aztek bad. Got to love them beating the Viper back to a Targa roof again though. I was not at VOI12 but the return of the RT/10 would have been a cool convertible. Not sure what was shown at VOI12 for the Viper. Cannot believe, well actually I can, that they brought back the cheap 80's Trans Am Night Rider bar graph in the instrument panel. Ha! Ha! Are you really serious? If I was a vette fan, I would not be too impressed. The best looking vette was the older Stingray they show with it. I just see zero nod to that car with this version. The old Stingray was ****.

The interior is a huge improvement over the past model but I can not look at it and not think back to the plastic interior cars GM put out in the 80s. In my mind, the car is a cheap copy of every other car out there. It's like a best of copy of what is already out now. That just does not look good, I am sorry. They could have done so much better. The rear is s per what the Callaway folks said. Their new rear clip should be a pretty hot item when the factory looks like this.

stingray23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
[/QUOTE]

You must be registered for see images

[/QUOTE]

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Looks great. Watched the presentation and was very impressed with the new features on this car. I like their new throttle blip/rev match on the gear shifts. That's going to be nice on the road course. I bet this car is probably faster than my stock C6Z06 around the track. Can't wait until they bust out with the C7Z06!

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My god this looks tottaly ugly, thoroughly fresh my a$$!! They really sucked at making the front headlights trying to deviate from a certain car lol :rolaugh:
I'm really glad we have people in SRT that can diffrentiate between curves and lines. This Vette has some ruler-like hood with too many lines.
What has happened to the Vette in the last 10 years is only a downwards slope in terms of beauty/originality.
And I agree on Arnar's.

Last edited:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I think the C7 is a decent looking car, it's not in the league of the Viper. The C7's front end is nice, but I don't like the plastic mesh grill, it looks kind of cheap. The rear is a miss, in my opinion. Not sure about the side rear glass either. Still, not a bad car for the money, especially because of it's performance. The design does look fresh. I prefer the aggressive, curvaceous body of the Viper over the new trend of sharp features that the Corvette employs. The new interior reminds me of the old one, not real fond of that. The seats sound a lot better, I like that there's a GT option and a competition seat option.

What surprised me were the performance numbers. Someone had posted that the C7 would be 3,000 lbs. That would've been a big win for Chevy, and really had me thinking. Nope, it's 3350 lbs, about the same as the Gen V GTS with Track Pack (3356 lbs. according to Car and Driver). More than the base Viper with Track Pack, which the SRT brochure says is 3297 lbs.

Their 6.2 liter is 450 HP, which is 72.6 HP/liter. The Viper's is higher at 76.9 HP/liter, and that's without the C7's direct injection. Of course, the future Z06 will do better as will the ZR1, but then again so will the Viper ACR :D

My takeaways are as follows: First, the Corvette is an excellent value for the money, and it's a nice looking sports car although it's no Halle Berry. And I do believe that the Z06 and ZR1 (or whatever high-end model Chevy comes up with) will be a force to be reckoned with on the track. Heck, the base model is going to impress on the track too. I drove a C6 for hours around Spring Mountain Raceway and was amazed at how well it performed for a base model (although the brakes got hot). I give it credit for starting at about half the price of the Viper. It's a lot of car for the money.

Secondly, I have to say that I was beginning to second-guess my decision to order the Viper without seeing the C7 first. I can now say that I'm relieved that I made the right decision. Love the Gen V Viper, to each his own but there is no contest in my mind.

Last edited:

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Secondly, I have to say that I was beginning to second-guess my decision to order the Viper without seeing the C7 first. I can now say that I'm relieved that I made the right decision. Love the Gen V Viper, to each his own but there is no contest in my mind.
Glad you talked some sense into your mind!!

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I still have no interest in owning a vette, in pictures the C7 has a lot more of a road presence. I wouldn't be surprised if it were as wide as the GTS. No goofy ride height either. Then again, I haven't seen the GTS in person and pictures rarely do the Viper justice. Time will tell.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The diffuser area is going to look terrible if the base option Is cheap black plastic. One thing to see shiny clear coat painted - it will be another to see the base trim

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aweful. Side profile is good, taillights are horrible. Tired of this style headlights. Dodge and Chevy, please contact Audi because they would like their headlight style back. I can't wait for the stupid led/eyebrow headlight trend to die out. Even Audi has overplayed it.

On a side note there are some interesting comments about it on the Corvette site and I have to give credit to the guy who dubbed it the "Corvaro"

Last edited:

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Funny to hear C6 owners complain. Talk about a boring looking car.
The rear on the C6 was so plasticky and lacking any detail and the front head light surrounds...terrible. New car looks great!

lxadeuce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and a lot of sources are saying that the porshe 911 is their competition. why does this picture say otherwise?

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The base vette is going to have same Viper Brembo brakes..

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Funny to hear C6 owners complain. Talk about a boring looking car.
The rear on the C6 was so plasticky and lacking any detail and the front head light surrounds...terrible. New car looks great!

You're right, the front 3/4 view looks good, as viewed from the top of a twelve foot ladder, LOL. From the other angles, I see Pontiac Aztek combined with Nissan GT-R. Two epic styling fails, in my book.