SRT VS GTS

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's try to justify the differences:

SRT base is $97,395 and GTS base is $120,395 and delta yields $23,000
Ok so what are the extras in the GTS? Let's add 12 speakers, sabelt with nappa leather and alcantara, and grand touring package. This sums $1,995 + $3,000 + $2,500 = $7,495 out of $23,000 = $15,505
This $15,505 includes what? Two more suspension modes, door trim+colored stiching, rear CB applique?, automatic seats (more weight) and sound deadening material. Maybe one more spoke per wheel but hey you'd also pay for SRT wheels if you have GTS model :D:p

So what do you guys think, is this difference justified? Are there anymore differences worth mentioning? Please don't mention the different badges ;)
I think SRT did a good job from marketing point of view.

In dreamland, I'd want every option available for each model :)

Cool now I'm downgraded to an enthusiast ?? Just noticed..

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent question, one that I visit frequently myself. Although I ordered a GTS, it was not an easy decision. There's a side of me that would've gone for the SRT.

With my options, the SRT totaled $110K. The GTS with my options totaled almost $148K ($134K if had skipped the Stryker Red paint). That's a big delta. In the end, I decided that you only live once. I ordered it how I wanted it, Stryker Red and all. A big factor was to get the adjustable suspension and sound deadening materials, as you're not tracking the beast on a daily basis. Plus, the hood design- some prefer the GTS, others prefer the SRT. I prefer the cleaner lines of the GTS hood, but some of my friends really like the SRT. Go with your gut there.

Last edited:

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point in my life, I decided to have my cake and eat it too. Since with lighter weight and 640 hp the Viper is already bad ass, I chose the GTS for the adjustable street and track suspension mode, 4 way traction control, better sound deadening, more refined Sepia Laguna leather and the upgraded 18 speakers radio. By also getting the track pack it will be a fun car on track days. Whit futur plans for custom striping, headers, ported heads and High output PCM, it will be a refined Beast..... kind of like Seeing Mike Tyson in a tux at a Gala

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point in my life, I decided to have my cake and eat it too. Since with lighter weight and 640 hp the Viper is already bad ass, I chose the GTS for the adjustable street and track suspension mode, 4 way traction control, better sound deadening, more refined Sepia Laguna leather and the upgraded 18 speakers radio. By also getting the track pack it will be a fun car on track days. Whit futur plans for custom striping, headers, ported heads and High output PCM, it will be a refined Beast..... kind of like Seeing Mike Tyson in a tux at a Gala
Exactly! Modded Vs will be awesome for sure.

OP
OP
S

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent question, one that I visit frequently myself. Although I ordered a GTS, it was not an easy decision. There's a side of me that would've gone for the SRT.

With my options, the SRT totaled $110K. The GTS with my options totaled almost $148K ($134K if had skipped the Stryker Red paint). That's a big delta. In the end, I decided that you only live once. I ordered it how I wanted it, Stryker Red and all. A big factor was to get the adjustable suspension and sound deadening materials, as you're not tracking the beast on a daily basis. Plus, the hood design- some prefer the GTS, others prefer the SRT. I prefer the cleaner lines of the GTS hood, but some of my friends really like the SRT. Go with your gut there.
I get you :)
I'd want the SRT hood for the better cooling and I'd want the GTS stripes for their wide-full length! Which side my guts are leaning? IN LIMBO LOL!
I always wanted a striped Viper... sigh

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with Venom V 100%. Though my GTS ran about 12k less mostly because Shadow Blue paint was a much lower price than Stryker Red. They are THE two cars that I just can't wait to see!!

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like this. Had I the coin this would be my choice as well but with the addition of $5200 Moton CS installed before pick up. The factory suspension on either SRT or GTS just doesn't sound well sorted for its comfort mode [GTS] or its track mode. The Motons would fix both issues and be much more adjustable for both track and street comfort. I think it would be a positive addition to the GTS model as it would add some refinement to the suspension in keeping with the rest of that models overall more mature leanings.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just need to understand the GTS dual suspension option. From what we've heard the track mode is just too stiff, even for track use. The street mode is still very stiff and probably will work for 80% of the tracks. It seems to me that this needs to be revised. Maybe the current street mode becomes the track mode and the current street mode is dialed down considerably so that the GTS can meet its stated objective: Track day special and wine country cruiser.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just need to understand the GTS dual suspension option. From what we've heard the track mode is just too stiff, even for track use. The street mode is still very stiff and probably will work for 80% of the tracks. It seems to me that this needs to be revised. Maybe the current street mode becomes the track mode and the current street mode is dialed down considerably so that the GTS can meet its stated objective: Track day special and wine country cruiser.

Totally agree ! Hope it's not too late for SRT to acknowledge this point and revise the suspension tuning.
Keep the hard and harder set-up for the ACR

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This would be cool but at this late date I highly doubt SRT will do this. It needs to be done though. Maybe the 2014 models will benefit from the critique mentioned by the first magazine tests and they will get the tweaks. Or just give the rougher SRT model the GTS's 2 mode suspension and give the GTS the MCS from the factory. The latter wont happen but it would be just the thing for the GTS.

OP
OP
S

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm lost since it is the first time I hear some issues with the modes.
Are you saying both SRT and GTS drive the same way in the city?

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the auto "journalists" the street mode in the GTS can be used on the track and may be the better track mode. This implies that it is stiff. The SRT has been described as a little stiffer than the street mode in the GTS. As to whather either model is too stiff for city driving remains to be seen and depends a lot on the conditions of the roads, your tolerence etc....Once again, we're just going to have to drive one to know for sure. By the way, why is your viper sad?

I'm lost since it is the first time I hear some issues with the modes.
Are you saying both SRT and GTS drive the same way in the city?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Believe, as we progress, the SRT will become the hotter model as Viper owners love to mod their machines, and there is alot more money available for such when starting at 101,990 - IMHO.

Course, I like the idea of a track pack with the upgraded leather, and nothing else but performance mods like an MCS suspension ( lowered and track ready). Hopefully we will see the MoPar PCM out reasonably soon, set of headers and a few more upgrades and I would be set -- whoops, forgot a set of harness belts.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the auto "journalists" the street mode in the GTS can be used on the track and may be the better track mode. This implies that it is stiff. The SRT has been described as a little stiffer than the street mode in the GTS. As to whather either model is too stiff for city driving remains to be seen and depends a lot on the conditions of the roads, your tolerence etc....Once again, we're just going to have to drive one to know for sure. By the way, why is your viper sad?
I would bet some of the prejudice with the suspension settings being too stiff come from the fact that all the journalists were driving around in preproduction models with the preprod seats, which apparently felt as though made from concrete. I'm betting a little bit of memory foam for the hind quarters will do a lot for the perceivable NVH

OP
OP
S

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol it's only the initials of my full name :D

OP
OP
S

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe, as we progress, the SRT will become the hotter model as Viper owners love to mod their machines, and there is alot more money available for such when starting at 101,990 - IMHO.

Course, I like the idea of a track pack with the upgraded leather, and nothing else but performance mods like an MCS suspension ( lowered and track ready). Hopefully we will see the MoPar PCM out reasonably soon, set of headers and a few more upgrades and I would be set -- whoops, forgot a set of harness belts.
Your experience in Viper sales is showing there Bill :)

I would bet some of the prejudice with the suspension settings being too stiff come from the fact that all the journalists were driving around in preproduction models with the preprod seats, which apparently felt as though made from concrete. I'm betting a little bit of memory foam for the hind quarters will do a lot for the perceivable NVH

I sure heared Ralph once said the production spec seats makes the ride more comfy and "smooooth"

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol it's only the initials of my full name :D
That's just SAD - LOL

Man I sure hope that with srt going after a different market of buyers now that we don't start to see a diminishing of real car guys in the viper world. I'd like to think that these new guys coming in will still realize that a high performance car that must sit "low" and it can't possibly ride like a cadillac or it will bottom out.
I can see it now... I'll be at a car show wanting to talk vipers with some guy and he'll be too busy to talk to me sipping his latte' with his pinky finger stinking out.

OP
OP
S

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's just SAD - LOL

Man I sure hope that with srt going after a different market of buyers now that we don't start to see a diminishing of real car guys in the viper world. I'd like to think that these new guys coming in will still realize that a high performance car that must sit "low" and it can't possibly ride like a cadillac or it will bottom out.
I can see it now... I'll be at a car show wanting to talk vipers with some guy and he'll be too busy to talk to me sipping his latte' with his pinky finger stinking out.

Yep :crazy2:

Don't worry, that latte dude won't be able to keep the Viper for more than 3-6 months. Vipers will always be for true Viperalists :D

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets go one step further, we should not be at car shows, it should be the track.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of SRT Vs. GTS, one reason why I ordered the GTS is that an SRT engineer said that the GTS is faster around a road course than the base SRT, because of the adjustable suspension. However the reviews so far have been that the GTS's dampers in the stiff mode are too stiff, and that the street setting may turn faster lap times.

So that leads to the question of whether the SRT may actually be faster around the track, because it's stiffer than the GTS's street setting but softer than the race setting. And the SRT is lighter. I think SRT will tune their damper settings, but sadly probably after I get my GTS.

balance

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok so what are the extras in the GTS? Let's add 12 speakers, sabelt with nappa leather and alcantara, and grand touring package. This sums $1,995 + $3,000 + $2,500 = $7,495 out of $23,000 = $15,505
This $15,505 includes what? Two more suspension modes, door trim+colored stiching, rear CB applique?, automatic seats (more weight) and sound deadening material. Maybe one more spoke per wheel but hey you'd also pay for SRT wheels if you have GTS model :D:p

So what do you guys think, is this difference justified? Are there anymore differences worth mentioning? Please don't mention the different badges ;)

Great thread!

The bottom line is a GenV can be had for around 100k with no options .... which is still miles ahead of any GenIV. (total car equivalent) value wise ... providing Conner Ave. will build base models.

This "enthusiast" when one is in between Vipers should be fixed:rolleyes:

OP
OP
S

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of SRT Vs. GTS, one reason why I ordered the GTS is that an SRT engineer said that the GTS is faster around a road course than the base SRT, because of the adjustable suspension. However the reviews so far have been that the GTS's dampers in the stiff mode are too stiff, and that the street setting may turn faster lap times.

So that leads to the question of whether the SRT may actually be faster around the track, because it's stiffer than the GTS's street setting but softer than the race setting. And the SRT is lighter. I think SRT will tune their damper settings, but sadly probably after I get my GTS.
I just hope the ride is smooth and comfy :2tu:

OP
OP
S

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great thread!

The bottom line is a GenV can be had for around 100k with no options .... which is still miles ahead of any GenIV. (total car equivalent) value wise ... providing Conner Ave. will build base models.

This "enthusiast" when one is in between Vipers should be fixed:rolleyes:
thx! :)
yep they should keep the title warm for me :D

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to seriously track either car you are going to replace either set of shocks with 3-way adjustables. For most racers that will be the first mod in the car. IMHO there are several differences between the cars that might force a person to buy a GTS over the SRT, but, personally I would not base it upon the shocks. Every track requires somewhat different settings, in addition, in many case you need more rebound and less compression and that combination is not what you are getting with the current offering. I never had an ACR, but, I would guess the 3-way shocks and diff spring rate account for the majority of the improved performance over a non-ACR car.

Just a guess but, a no option (except track pack) SRT with 3-way shocks, headers, exhausts and Mopar PCM will be the most common track car we will see with the Gen V.

Last edited:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score

IMO if you can afford the base model, you can probably afford the GTS and many will wish they did so down the road after seeing the GTS up close and the differences. I made this mistake before. Dealers will like the trades though later on.

OP
OP
S

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO if you can afford the base model, you can probably afford the GTS and many will wish they did so down the road after seeing the GTS up close and the differences. I made this mistake before. Dealers will like the trades though later on.
I've not seen it in person yet!
I hope to see both soon before it's too late :D

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to seriously track either car you are going to replace either set of shocks with 3-way adjustables. For most racers that will be the first mod in the car. IMHO there are several differences between the cars that might force a person to buy a GTS over the SRT, but, personally I would not base it upon the shocks. Every track requires somewhat different settings, in addition, in many case you need more rebound and less compression and that combination is not what you are getting with the current offering. I never had an ACR, but, I would guess the 3-way shocks and diff spring rate account for the majority of the improved performance over a non-ACR car.

Just a guess but, a no option (except track pack) SRT with 3-way shocks, headers, exhausts and Mopar PCM will be the most common track car we will see with the Gen V.

Good insights, Jack. My Viper is going to be dual purpose, a road and track car, not dedicated to either. The draw of the GTS's adjustable suspension is that it should allow the owner to have his cake and eat it too. Comfortable on the street, track-ready with the push of the button. From the reviews, it's not clear that SRT set the street and track settings optimally to pull that off. It also sounds like the Chevy engineers found that recipe in the ZR1, as it's said to be more comfortable in the street mode and well balanced at the track too. But I'll reserve judgement until I've had a chance to see a few more reviews and drive it myself.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for suspension upgrades after I get my GTS. I just hope that I won't be compelled to make that change. In the past, when I've swapped in aftermarket suspension on cars, the ride has suffered on the street.

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't think its realistic to expect a comfortable street ride from the factory GTS suspension especially after the reviews. They will have to revise this suspension for the 2014 year. Many mfgs have made this mistake in the past with initially harsh riding settings on newly released models only to revise them in the second year. Nissan comes to mind in this area with the 350z.

If you listen to Randy talk about the two cars its evident that in both street and track ability the GTS suspension is not very well tuned. He plainly said the GTS is MUCH better than the ZR1 in dive under braking and in body roll motions shich is great. But, this doesn't translate to better lap times because of mainly the tires but also the suspension just being too stiff with not enough compliance to allow the tires to do a better job.

I wouldn't be surprised that even with the MPSC's it would still be a close race with the ZR1 because of the suspensions non compliant nature. Also with the current setup I just don't see anyone looking for "comfortable" streetability being pleased except the truly ********. To have best of both track and street worlds you will need to drop the factory suspension and get the likes of Motons CS etc until the factory dials in a decent setup probably for the 2014 model year.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't think its realistic to expect a comfortable street ride from the factory GTS suspension especially after the reviews. They will have to revise this suspension for the 2014 year. Many mfgs have made this mistake in the past with initially harsh riding settings on newly released models only to revise them in the second year. Nissan comes to mind in this area with the 350z.

If you listen to Randy talk about the two cars its evident that in both street and track ability the GTS suspension is not very well tuned. He plainly said the GTS is MUCH better than the ZR1 in dive under braking and in body roll motions shich is great. But, this doesn't translate to better lap times because of mainly the tires but also the suspension just being too stiff with not enough compliance to allow the tires to do a better job.

I wouldn't be surprised that even with the MPSC's it would still be a close race with the ZR1 because of the suspensions non compliant nature. Also with the current setup I just don't see anyone looking for "comfortable" streetability being pleased except the truly ********. To have best of both track and street worlds you will need to drop the factory suspension and get the likes of Motons CS etc until the factory dials in a decent setup probably for the 2014 model year.

I tend to agree at this point, but this is based primarily on one or two magazine reviews that have said this. Let's see if other reviewers agree. And this is also at one track, the Viper may shine at other tracks. If they do re-tune the suspension in 2014 or 2015, I sure hope that the suspension would be a bolt-in swap, an upgrade that I would consider if that were the case, and if the suspension was dramatically improved. But first things first, I'll drive it myself on both road and track and see how the car suits me. Once in a while, two race car drivers will switch cars and one or both will complain about how the other likes it set up. I remember when Mark Martin and Jeff Gordon did this years ago, Jeff thought Mark's car was very difficult to drive, but it was tuned perfectly to Mark's style of driving. Looking forward to the Motor Trend rematch, as well as other upcoming reviews and comparos before I draw a conclusion.

I also want to see the MPSC's on the snake, as most of us do. Maybe wishful thinking, but we can dream, LOL.

Last edited: