gen 3 engine into gen 2 GTS

F5000mk8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new and this is my first post, but have enjoyed and been thrilled with the dozens of posts I have read while awaiting authorization to enter the forums. I am quite impressed with the many modified Vipers within the group.

I want to install a 2003 Gen 3 engine and transmission into a 1998 Gen 2 GTS that is set up for dual track and street use but has no engine or tranny. Is there a way to get the engine's Gen 3 ecu compatible with the car's electronics and enable this engine to work in the older Gen 2 car?

Are there other problems I can look forward to such as the physical fit, etc?

Many thanks,

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why? It will physically fit but electronics will not be fun. You CAN make your Gen 2 motor look like a Gen 3.

OP
OP
F

F5000mk8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MTGTS, et al.

Thanks. I do not have a Gen 2 engine -- just the Gen 3 with its more desirable ECU vis-a-vis future racing mods. I hope I do not end up being the first to install an SBC in a Viper. However your picture of the Gen 2/Gen 3 engine is pretty cool.

In addition to the engine's good looks it will take mega HP/torque to competitively introduce Vipers to east coast hill climbing. This is an arena where modified Z06's, Porsche Turbos and real 427 Cobras are left lacking. I've never encountered a Viper at an event other than to watch them make parade laps during the lunch break.

Brgds,

Is the general consensus that a Gen 2 engine offers the same modified power potential as a Gen 3?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are building a full blown race car and replacing everything anyways it shouldn't be a big deal. IF you want to use most of the factory wiring you need to sell that Gen 3 motors an buy a 96-99 fully forged factory motor. One ECU is not more desirable than the other. Both those ecu's are easily tunable with an SCT and have a throttle cable NOT drive by wire (good thing). The amount of $$$ it will take converting the electronics over would be much better spent somewhere else on the car. I thought about doing what you are talking about and ended up with what you see in the pics. .3L of displacement is just simply not needed or worth all the extra BS.

OP
OP
F

F5000mk8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Only a ***** would argue with the voice of experience and its accompanying logic. Anybody want a nice 8.3 L 2003 engine and transmission pkg? 12K mi.

Anyone have a good forged Gen 2 engine?

Many thanks,

OP
OP
F

F5000mk8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Based on what I've learned from the forum, and after having contacted most all of the gurus mentioned therein, I've decided to put my Gen 3 engine and tranny into a Wescott/TCI 1932 Ford Roadster. It's still something of a shock to learn that it's easier to install a 2003 Viper V10 into a 1932 Ford than into a 1998 GTS. I'll have to get that 150 HP upgrade kit so that the V10 can handle the roadster's ponderous 1900 lb bulk.

Thanks again,

OP
OP
F

F5000mk8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you would like to wait a year for your motor, lol

I might have to wait longer than that for my Gen 3 engine. Unfortunately I fell for Max Gratz's Marlton, NJ pasalvagepreformance/Viper Alley/MG-Motorwerks meretricious ads and spent a lot of money on an engine and transmission that never existed. So, a year wouldn't be bad under the circumstances. Instead I'm in a long line of criminal complainants waiting for the law to do something.

Meanwhile I am installing foot pedals and bell cranks in the 32 roadster -- not Viper quick, but what fuel mileage.

Brgds,

F5000mk8

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I might have to wait longer than that for my Gen 3 engine. Unfortunately I fell for Max Gratz's Marlton, NJ pasalvagepreformance/Viper Alley/MG-Motorwerks meretricious ads and spent a lot of money on an engine and transmission that never existed. So, a year wouldn't be bad under the circumstances. Instead I'm in a long line of criminal complainants waiting for the law to do something.

Meanwhile I am installing foot pedals and bell cranks in the 32 roadster -- not Viper quick, but what fuel mileage.

Brgds,

F5000mk8

If you need any help with your Resto-Mod, or with designing any type of Viper engine swap, or even a multi-generational engine build, let us know- that is the type of work we specialize in. Here is a 1930 Rolls Royce V10 build in which we handled all of the V10 component sales, consultation & setup, as well as engine management design, setup, installation, and tuning;

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, here is a Gen-3/Gen-4 multi-generation build:

Jon Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen gen 3 v10s put in a lot crazier stuff than another viper, so it can't be that hard. I've seen em in Nomads, New Yorkers, Volvos, you name it.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've seen gen 3 v10s put in a lot crazier stuff than another viper, so it can't be that hard. I've seen em in Nomads, New Yorkers, Volvos, you name it.

Its easier to fit something into a blank space than to make something conform to a space of a different shape, in very general terms.