20 inch rear wheel tire options?

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been looking around and the only tires I can find are Pirellis, Michelins, and Nitto Invio. I was considering the Invios, but it seems they don't get the best reviews and I really would like to prevent shelling out almost 2k for tires on Michelins if at all possible. I was wondering if anyone else found rear tires in the 345/25/20 or 335/25/20 configurations. I want a Max Performance tire. It doesnt have to have the best wet traction, but I don't want something dangerous in the rain.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pirellis and Nittos have a lower profile. The Michelins are a 335/30/20 I believe, while the other 2 are 345/25/20. I personally don't like the look of the Michelins and never had any performance issues with my Nittos. I ran Nittos on a 20" tire on 2 cars and Michelins on another car with a 20" rear wheel..

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had 20" Invo tires on a few cars now, and still like them. People complain about them on the roadcourse, but then again those guys usually aren't rocking 20" wheels if they are serious about racing ;)

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same here. Invos hold the power of my car better than my prior Michelins though wheel size was different. They do ride better surprisingly as well despite the lower profile.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only heard great things about the invos as well. I ran the Pirelli's on my 20" and was impressed, although others despise them.

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Invos ... they hook well with lower pressure.

Quiet ride, relatively smooth considering the car is lowered and there is no sidewall LOL.

I didn't even do a burnout at the track and had zero spin issues on a 12.6 @ 117 run ---

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cant speak for the invos, but I have Michellin Pilot Super Sports in 345/30/20 and they are awesome! Great handling, super sticky, and they worked great in monsoon weather!

OP
OP
I

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What size tire gives the car the stock ride height? or should I say, what is the stock ride height on a 98 with stock tires?

Last edited:

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nittos are not as wide as the other brands even though the have the same advertised specs.

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pirelli's will rub if lowered and don't last.... Go with the Invo's, they are a nice performing tire and last longer. Have them on both my sets of wheels.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you're saying Nitto is committing fraud in the representation of their products?
I don't know if Nitto is the actual correct measurement and the others are giving you more or vice versa. A 315 Nitto was no wider than a 295 so I did not buy them. Husband did a side by side comparison and there was a very noticeable difference.

Sorry to break your little Nitto hearts!

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same sidewall series tires? I can tell you my 345's are definitely wider than my Michilin 335's. You do know if you compare different sidewall series then the width is affected correct? IE 30 series vs 20 series etc.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same sidewall series tires? I can tell you my 345's are definitely wider than my Michilin 335's. You do know if you compare different sidewall series then the width is affected correct? IE 30 series vs 20 series etc.
Yes they were identical series. John at CCW even told me the Nitto's are not as wide and to go with them to avoid rubbing but they were to skinny. Neighbor had the Nitto's and we compared. Much thinner.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The width number; 335 vs 345 etc, is measured from sidewall to sidewall not the tread contact patch. This is done when mounted to the recommended wheel size, inflated to operating pressure, normalized for 24 hours, and then the inflation number verified and adjusted if needed. Anybody doing this the redneck way of just holding up one tire next to the other, should go back to the kitchen and start making sammiches for all the smart people.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The width number; 335 vs 345 etc, is measured from sidewall to sidewall not the tread contact patch. This is done when mounted to the recommended wheel size, inflated to operating pressure, normalized for 24 hours, and then the inflation number verified and adjusted if needed. Anybody doing this the redneck way of just holding up one tire next to the other, should go back to the kitchen and start making sammiches for all the smart people.

Sorry Dingbat but I am not the only one who says this. May not be true for all sizes but even the snot nose ricers talk about this.:crazy2:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nittos are not as wide as the other brands even though the have the same advertised specs.

+1
The first thing i noticed when switching the 345 Michelins that were on my Viper to 345 NittoInvo's was that the Tread Width was noticeably not as wide on the invo's. Sure they might have the same sidewall-to-sidewall measurement(345), but the Invo's taper inward leaving a smaller tread width.

OP
OP
I

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree about manufacturer vs actual size. My BFG's and Toyos on my Cobra were two different sizes even though they claimed to be the same size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm guessing you're the kind of guy that measures from the ***** vs the base. :smirk: Your 6 is another's 4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235