I need to cancel my order... ideas?

1fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all - I've ordered a white 2013 SRT from John at Roanoke (Great guy by the way). I was literally the first order for Roanoke... deposit down for a year. My car is early production, too late to change or cancel. It kills me to do this, but due to some issue with my business I've decided to explore options to not take the car. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm not looking to make a dime.... I just don't want to stick John with it and would like to get back my deposit. Car is a white SRT, no stripes (I was going to put custom blue GTS stripes on it), ballisic black interior, touring package. This will be one of the first custom ordered cars off the line (after the launch and the Red track packs)

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John is a great guy. I would work with him to get you out of your scenario. Your car will sell.

Bruce

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he should have no problem with selling your car. i would think he will give you your deposit back. how much of a deposit did you leave? he might want a bit for paperwork. if it is a used car it could be sold to................. canada

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he should have no problem with selling your car. i would think he will give you your deposit back. how much of a deposit did you leave? he might want a bit for paperwork. if it is a used car it could be sold to................. canada

Might not be a quick sell. There are tons of colors and options available....It takes the right buyer to step up, and it costs some bucks to have a 105K SRT Viper sitting in the showroom waiting for that buyer to walk in. That's why it takes a substantial deposit to place a custom order. Good luck 1fast1 and I hope all works out with your business. I think you are approaching this the right way.

Bill

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand and as a small business owner myself we are faced with a lot more challenges than are necessary . You might try auto trader, craigslist and autoweek classifieds. Best of luck to you.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
No idea how a deposit on a car works considering you did not know the final price and delivery date. There is no way your car is anywhere near the build stage - so it would seem simple to cancel the order. I find it hard to believe any dealer would hold you to buying the car - especially one that has such a good reputation within the Viper community?

OP
OP

1fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys - I appreciate all the wel wishes... this is just such a tough environment these days for small business owners. I don't want to stick John with the car... and would like my deposit back... as you all know, he is a really good guy with a great repuation. I talked to John and he will let me know if he gets any inquires for a white SRT at the dealership. He also told me I could find someone else to take the car. Do you guys think I could/should try EBAY? I'm nervous using that site as I've had so many folks bid and not come through on items in the past.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No idea how a deposit on a car works considering you did not know the final price and delivery date. There is no way your car is anywhere near the build stage - so it would seem simple to cancel the order. I find it hard to believe any dealer would hold you to buying the car - especially one that has such a good reputation within the Viper community?
When you order a vehicle, you sign a contract. The way the deposits were taken for most early orders was a 2 stage deal---the first, smaller deposit was to get on the list--in line so to speak. The second, larger deposit was required at the time the order was actually entered into the SRT system. At that time, 1fast1 knew the final price. The whole idea of a deposit is to ensure the contract will be completed and the buyer will actually buy the vehicle which has been ordered. Roanoke is between a rock and a hard place. This Viper is an early car, just like mine. It has to be in D-1 status. That means it has a VIN, the car is sequenced for production and an estimated ship date has been assigned. The car will be built as ordered---no changes are possible--it's simply too late. Roanoke has a contract with SRT. They have to purchase this Viper. If the car were not so far along and changes were possible, I believe things might be different. This is in no way a slam at 1fast1. He is a businessman and understands contracts--like he said, he doesn't want to see Roanoke stuck with this car. That's why he started this thread---not to slam Roanoke.

Bill

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At worst, I'd assume you'd lose your deposit - without knowing how much you put down, it is hard to gauge. $5k? Might be easy to walk away from (Hell, between sales tax and gas guzzler, that money is thrown away anyway). $15k? Yeah, I'd be a bit concerned.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lots of purchase orders stipulate that deposits are non refundable. u should check to see what your particular agreement says. hope it works out.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At worst, I'd assume you'd lose your deposit - without knowing how much you put down, it is hard to gauge. $5k? Might be easy to walk away from (Hell, between sales tax and gas guzzler, that money is thrown away anyway). $15k? Yeah, I'd be a bit concerned.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. I was told 5K was the number---my situation was different, as I traded my car--so it was a lot more! And loss of deposit is what we are talking here--not being forced into actually buying the car.

Bill

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Losing your deposit will be a lot easier than trying to resell the car if you take it.
You'll have to find a buyer that wants that combo and he won't want it unless the price is irresistible.
That will be a big loss for you.
Good luck.

OP
OP

1fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah - the deposit is $5k... And of course I could walk and lose the deposit. The spirit of the thread was to see if anyone had an idea to save my deposit, but also save John from finding a new buyer. John is and has been great, and I consider him a friend. This IS NOT his fault... It is mine. I feel awful about it. I thought someone might know of an interested party, who wants an early car. At this point, I'm hoping the cars continue to be delayed and business picks WAY up :)

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Too bad it's not for STRYKER RED....I know a few Canadians who might be interested.

I would advise you not to sell the car on EBAY.....I sold a fairly expensive watch (on eBay) about 6 months ago and I'll never do that again.

if you check out their fees you might be better just losing your deposit. ... and then saving yourself the hassle of dealing with lookie-loos and deadbeats...

AND then there's EBAY'S red tape and delays for new sellers.

I wish you all the best and I hope business picks up for you so you can get to keep this dream of a car.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the states DEPOSIT LAWS .(In NJ for example theres no such thing as a non refundable deposit =the dealer absolutely positively MUST give the customer his money back for whatever reason the person decides not to take the car )

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe put up a classified here to see if someone is interested in picking up your spot with the deposit...

Too bad Canadians don't get a warranty when they bring a Chrysler over from the U.S. I've been mulling over a Gen V SRT with the track pack...the loss of warranty on a brand new car is too much of a kicker for me.

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sell some blood plamas... :LOL:

Business can be tough! Goodluck with business and getting the $ back. :)

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much is it and tell me about the options,wheels colors etc..
When will be made?I am going to get a Gen 5 ,but have not ordered one yet. Thanks..

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My original order was a black 08' changed color, dealership
and got my dep. back no questions asked. They are a big
dealership, get your money back.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok,need to know price and wheel selection ,any other options and when he will expect the car..

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually three or four dealers told me the deposit is 10 grands! 5 sounds great!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sell your place in line for the deposit you spent. Simple. This was common on the "new" C6 Corvette, and on the "new" Camaro orders. Your car is exactly the same thing I ordered, it will be an easy sale. Especially being one of the first to arrive, people will buy it. Talk to the dealer, he may offer to refund your deposit just to take the car in on inventory. It will sell the day it hits his lot, or sooner.

OP
OP

1fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok,need to know price and wheel selection ,any other options and when he will expect the car..

Thanks for help all - the car has literally one option, the touring package. The wheels are the base wheels. Break down is as follows:

SRT MSRP - $97,395
Touring package - $2500
Gas Guzzler - $2,600
Destination Fee - $ 1995
Total - $ 104,490

they don't have a build date yet, but on the order I'm build priority #01 for Roanoke Motors. John thinks the car will ship in February or March. The car has a VIN already, and can not be modified.

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think build priority # 01 means it is a sold unit, what is the last 8 #s of the vin? that will give you a better idea of time the car will be built.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets