Delivery Delays

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack (and others), I'm curious if you've tried Chrysler's Vehicle Order Tracking System (VOTS). If you enter your last name and VIN, it tells you your "production stage."

https://www.chrysler.com/vots/

My car is in Production Scheduled, which means they haven't started my car yet but my order has been confirmed. My order was entered 11/12/2012, which is pretty early in the ordering process. Last 6 of the VIN are 500216. So I think I'm the 216th build, after they've completed all of the Launch Editions, dealer demo cars, and red track pack cars.

If it's in Frame or beyond, they're building it currently.

Do you know your status?

I checked mine, and its in 'production stage' My last six VIN# is 400020

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's is an embarrassment to Viper ownership reading all the whining, cry baby comments on this forum lately. Accept the fact the Gen V is a better car in every way from the previous generations. People have actually commented they dont like the interior :dunno: , my neighbor's 2 dr Honda Accord coupe has a better interior than my gen IV

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bill. What is your take on the recent road test of the new Viper that said the new seats were like torture chambers? I think it was Evo or Road&Track.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bill. What is your take on the recent road test of the new Viper that said the new seats were like torture chambers? I think it was Evo or Road&Track.

Those prototype seats were recently replaced with more comfy production seats, per Ralph. That's the advantage of the CEO taking the prototype car on a 5,000+ mile road-trip. A good "shake-down cruise" to give the team feedback for some last-minute improvements. I wouldn't be surprised if the seats were one of the reasons for the production delay, in addition to the emissions certification snag.

I really like Ralph, he keeps his finger on the pulse. All good CEOs do.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's is an embarrassment to Viper ownership reading all the whining, cry baby comments on this forum lately. Accept the fact the Gen V is a better car in every way from the previous generations. People have actually commented they dont like the interior :dunno: , my neighbor's 2 dr Honda Accord coupe has a better interior than my gen IV

Not sure about your neighbors Honda, but your spot on about this forum. I'd be crawling outta my skin right now in excitement if I had one on order.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whining is running rampant on the Corvette forum too with the C7... I'm certainly not surprised... People are entrenched with their current vehicle and their idea of what they hope to see in a new generation automobile:dunno:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My perspective is that the whining has really calmed down, thank goodness because it was getting old. The primary debate now is the LED design. That's a relatively minor detail in the overall design, compared to what the Camaro and Corvette guys have had to complain about. The C7's styling is controversial- some love it, some really have strong issues with the back end (as I do). There are lots of guys Photoshopping the C7's rear to try to fix it. The Gen V's styling is arguably much closer to a home run, as evidenced by the relatively few complaints by anyone from the press or any auto forum. It's an evolutionary design based on styling of all gens, especially the beautiful Gen II. The Viper has always been one of the most beautiful cars on the road, from any continent. I'm really not worried about LEDs on the Viper, we could have much bigger problems.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My perspective is that the whining has really calmed down, thank goodness because it was getting old. The primary debate now is the LED design. That's a relatively minor detail in the overall design, compared to what the Camaro and Corvette guys have had to complain about. The C7's styling is controversial- some love it, some really have strong issues with the back end (as I do). There are lots of guys Photoshopping the C7's rear to try to fix it. The Gen V's styling is arguably much closer to a home run, as evidenced by the relatively few complaints by anyone from the press or any auto forum. It's an evolutionary design based on styling of all gens, especially the beautiful Gen II. The Viper has always been one of the most beautiful cars on the road, from any continent. I'm really not worried about LEDs on the Viper, we could have much bigger problems.

Yea, I'm one that really likes the C7 design & could for the 1st time in my life actually picture myself having a vette, for a nice daily car with a removable top. Cruised the vette forums just to check it out & was amazed at the threads. I guess you never know how folks will react, but I was really surprised at the dislike by so many. But, you're right, that kind of happened here for a bit, seemed crazy. IMO, with the fed reg's and all, to get the car designs and perf we're seeing, we're so lucky, and American and prices well below exotic, even the GTS is a buy. Good car times have spoiled many I think. These are car-blessed times and I fear there'll be a day in the future when we'll sit around and talk about "remember when" ... because these days probably won't last forever. Now, c'mon Ralph & get that friggin vert design approved. ;-)

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised that nobody picked up on this quote-

"As few as 100 showrooms are expected to carry the car when the apparent production slowdowns are settled"

That tells me that many owners worst fear will become reality. Quality service will not be even remotely convenient for a large percentage of the country. 100 dealers scattered across the country will mean some very long drives and or tows. Will Chrysler be paying for the tow truck expenses like some other high end manufacturers do? Have they implemented a free loaner car(at least a 300C) system yet, or will your wife have to follow behind on a 250 mile journey, only to have to drop you back off at the dealer 3 days later after they finally got the tire pressure monitoring system working correctly?

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"As few as 100 showrooms are expected to carry the car when the apparent production slowdowns are settled"

That tells me that many owners worst fear will become reality. Quality service will not be even remotely convenient for a large percentage of the country. 100 dealers scattered across the country will mean some very long drives and or tows. Will Chrysler be paying for the tow truck expenses like some other high end manufacturers do? Have they implemented a free loaner car(at least a 300C) system yet, or will your wife have to follow behind on a 250 mile journey, only to have to drop you back off at the dealer 3 days later after they finally got the tire pressure monitoring system working correctly?

All due respect, I think you're overstating this as many owners' worst fear. I think each person should evaluate how close they are to an SRT dealer and decide if distance impacts them. There are 3 SRT dealers within 20 miles of my house, although I live in a city. I have friends that live away from metropolitan areas, and they don't have any dealerships nearby, let alone an SRT dealer. If one were to buy any other supercar that competes with the Viper except for the Corvette, they would have this same issue.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an Exotic...:dunno: Buy a Camry for convenience...

Last edited:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh my Venom V, thats a low one...but not quite 01 :omg: My slip, I meant 'production schedule'. Tks.

Ok thanks, so that pretty much confirms that they haven't started manufacturing any of the custom orders yet. If anyone knows otherwise, please chime in.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
finally heard back from my salesman. Apparently I wont show up on the search site until the february ordering wave. so i'm waayyy behind u guys. if i see my car in June I'll be surprised. Maybe guys in the february ordering wave should've just held out for the convertible? well i think the double bubble roof will be cool and of course snake-like so thats good. Venom V when is the anticipated delivery of your super stryker?

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
finally heard back from my salesman. Apparently I wont show up on the search site until the february ordering wave. so i'm waayyy behind u guys. if i see my car in June I'll be surprised. Maybe guys in the february ordering wave should've just held out for the convertible? well i think the double bubble roof will be cool and of course snake-like so thats good. Venom V when is the anticipated delivery of your super stryker?

Oh that *****! I wonder why you didn't make it into the first wave, perhaps your dealer sold out? I've been told late March to late April delivery, but my dealer was clear that this was a wild ass guess.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe the beating that they took in some of the rags made SRT make sure that the production cars would be held to a higher standard. Maybe it's a good thing. I don't have one on order so I am not flipping out in anticipation like I am sure a lot of people are, but I see a very strict quality control and perhaps minor tweaks and improvements a good thing. Let's just hope that it is for the betterment of the car and not because of a foul up.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well to be fair, i knew going in that I'd be in the feb ordering wave with an anticipated delivery of May-June so no surprises there. I was just a bit concerned that my VON didnt show on the site yet was all. But it makes sense that I wont be in the system until feb. My thought though was why have a VON search option on the site or better yet why give a VON at all if u cant search it that way. Seems that guys that found their manufacturing date did so by plugging in their VIN. anyway, i'd much rather be patient and get a car thats done correctly and hopefully the bugs will be out after a couple hundred 1st production examples 8-P

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dealers were notified weeks back to expect cars in late February. Many cars are showing up with Vins and Vons as they were allocated machines --- all Launch Editions, all Track Pack cars in Adrenaline Red, all of the Demonstrators, and the Stryker cars. There are some exceptions, but the build of the others will not really start till these are completed. Have been to the Plant and Prefix and improvments are beyond imagination. You can eat off the floor at both places,and the issues for the delays are minor and some are based on supplier issues. Confirm it to say that the first phase was to be comprised almost completely of the specific built cars, and the coding system was not set up for the Viper , but for all makes from Chrysler Corp. This is in itself an issue as they do not follow the normal trend. For example when a car goes to KZ status , it could be on the train and in storage for as many as 4 weeks. When a Viper finally goes to KZ it often can be at a Dealership in 3-4 days. The same holds for I status ( inspection), whereas a normal vehicle will be in this mode for maybe a day, Vipers have been known to stay in this status for a week or more. Sometimes it can be just waiting for a part that was short from a supplier at the time, other times it can be backlog. There are numerous reasons, but suffice it to say trying to read the status and shipping codes for a Snake is much different than anything else, but the notification system is the same for all.

Hang in there the finished product is going to wow everyone!

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, only 800 spoken for outta 1600! I wonder how this compares to the release of the gen 3s which were hated and bastardized by most of us here lol...

What even worse than that is the Gen 2 GTS Blue and white was sold out before production thus, they produced another 500 in 97 for demand. They even charged premiums on the 97 GTS for paint etc...money grabs and get this....that was in 96 and 97 and those cars sold for the same money as the SRT version is selling today....16 years later !!!....100G's in those days would be what today?....say 180G's when you factor in inflation numers and standard of living.
So.....yes......they were terrible cars back than.....denigrating those cars in realation to the 2013 would be a slap in the face for the new car in my opinion. It does not hold a candle to what those cars stood for and what the world thought about those cars over this car.
It felt so good back the when the critics would criticize the vipers creature comforts. When they criticized the brakes and handling. Only to find themselves sticking their foot in their mouths when the viper won most of the championships and ALMS series back between 1998 and 2000. Too funny !! We alla held our heads up high then even with no air or no brkes or no leather or no stablity this and launch that. No navigation and cruise controls....nothing !!! Nothing but PURE POWER AND PERFORMANCE, which is why we are all here today as part of the VCA and proud of the Viper. Those were the cars that made us who we are today boys ! this new \viper seems to have put most of us in the back seat trying to defend ourselves for what the viper stands for and what it is. too bad its come down to this point. Maybe many of you here should sit back and think before you speak and denigrate the older cars. If it wasnt for those cars and their hype, there would be no 2013 Viper. Ralph decided to keep the Viper production because of its iconic reputation and its thousands of followers. Followers that spent their last dollar and worked endless days and night to be able to afford such a car. Those illiterate people is what kept this car alive, not the guys who bought the car and didnt even know where the battery was unless they asked the dealer or read the manual. Its the guys who worked on these cars and got their hands dirty that the Viper stands for and is still here today.
In my opinion if SRT is putting their eggs in the rich mans basket and hoping that creature comforts and bells and whistles is whats going to sell this car, then they better hold on for a rough ride. Bring back brute performance and Power and watch the assembly line shift into 5th gear.

Thats just my opinion

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe the beating that they took in some of the rags made SRT make sure that the production cars would be held to a higher standard. Maybe it's a good thing. I don't have one on order so I am not flipping out in anticipation like I am sure a lot of people are, but I see a very strict quality control and perhaps minor tweaks and improvements a good thing. Let's just hope that it is for the betterment of the car and not because of a foul up.

Suspension tweaks,and brakes I hope..

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting to read all the comments. As far me, I'm happy with my Gen IV ACR, for now.

Won't purchase a Gen V unless they come back with the ACR. In fact, my wife loves the Gen IV ACR so much she said I should keep it if the next one isn't as bad ass as the Gen IV ACR.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The whining always brings out the trolls. I think that serious buyers or current Viper owners that had legitimate concerns about the current iteration are still there. The 'sky falling' mentality circulating after the mag rags testing was to be expected and those trolls have gotten bored with the lack of attention and moved to the vette forums. I very much like the styling of the new Gen (headlights not withstanding) and think SRT did a very good overall job. Tires and breaks can be fixed as well with the aftermarket. I still don't think it's acceptable to have a zero percent power increase though or make the car easily modded as pretty much every other car company lets you do. The perceived shift away from a performance dominator is what ruffled the feathers of the purists. I have had 2 Vipers and want to make the Gen V a third, but some things need to happen at SRT first.

Grats to all the new owners.

Also, riddle me this, what other high end car company sells a new model by trashing the old one? Every car company has had faults and design issues: even Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley, Mercedes, BMW etc. I don't think I have ever seen as rampant of a campaign, from the CEO no less, trashing the previous models. This part I absolutely don't get (and the lack of increase HP over the 2010 model).

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys want to have your cake and eat it too.

Part of the "charm" that those with older generations seem to love is - well - the "bare bones interior"

Now, when the CEO of SRT points that out, it is insulting?

I don't get it. You can accept the older car for what it was and still enjoy it - and realize there is a departure from that in the future. It seems clear to me. SRT is trying (desperately) to tell people that may have ridden in a Viper at one point in time, may have considered it, but didn't like the creature comforts, that it has changed. I guess their message is getting through - because people are quite butt hurt about it.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys want to have your cake and eat it too.

Part of the "charm" that those with older generations seem to love is - well - the "bare bones interior"

Now, when the CEO of SRT points that out, it is insulting?

I don't get it. You can accept the older car for what it was and still enjoy it - and realize there is a departure from that in the future. It seems clear to me. SRT is trying (desperately) to tell people that may have ridden in a Viper at one point in time, may have considered it, but didn't like the creature comforts, that it has changed. I guess their message is getting through - because people are quite butt hurt about it.

I would be fine with pointing out that the new car is more luxurious and 'refined' than the previous generations, but when he says that the new CUSTOMER is a 'very, very interesting demographic — much higher income, much higher education levels. The customer is becoming more sophisticated' it strikes me as an unfortunate way to describe the devotees to your brand.

I don't get 'insulted' or 'butt hurt' by anything the CEO of some company says, I just think it was a dumb thing to say.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss