Delivery Delays

Killer33

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same thing occured in '03 with the Gen 3's and if I remember correctly, the wars on this board went on for a very long time. Some called the Gen 3 design "sacrilege", at least they did back then and man were the debates heated (order? not order? cancel my order? Hate it? Love it?). Then the cars started shipping and everyone saw them in person; the performance was there or soon after being modified and everything was ok in the Viper World. Even back then, Dodge was talking about the improvements made over the previous generations but IMHO, they were really speaking to the new car improvements and not slamming the older generations. Ralph always seems to pay homage to the prevous Viper Generations and I've seen him mention in many video clips that without the avid support/involvement of the VCA menmbers and Viper community, this car wouldn't be possible. In the end, progress is good for everyone. it may take a little time before the Viper nation fully embraces the Gen V but I'm sure they will. Back on topic, hopefully, the delays however unfortunate, will allow for last minute checks/corrections, even if that wasn't the primary reason for the delays. And since I have a Gen V on order, #V400066 I sure hope they get it right soon.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing occured in '03 with the Gen 3's and if I remember correctly, the wars on this board went on for a very long time. Some called the Gen 3 design "sacrilege", at least they did back then and man were the debates heated (order? not order? cancel my order? Hate it? Love it?). Then the cars started shipping and everyone saw them in person; the performance was there or soon after being modified and everything was ok in the Viper World. Even back then, Dodge was talking about the improvements made over the previous generations but IMHO, they were really speaking to the new car improvements and not slamming the older generations. Ralph always seems to pay homage to the prevous Viper Generations and I've seen him mention in many video clips that without the avid support/involvement of the VCA menmbers and Viper community, this car wouldn't be possible. In the end, progress is good for everyone. it may take a little time before the Viper nation fully embraces the Gen V but I'm sure they will. Back on topic, hopefully, the delays however unfortunate, will allow for last minute checks/corrections, even if that wasn't the primary reason for the delays. And since I have a Gen V on order, #V400066 I sure hope they get it right soon.

Good perspective, I wish I had been on the forums to experience it firsthand when they released the Gen II, III, IV.

You're getting the 66th custom order, very cool! My order was input the first day of ordering, yet my S/N ended in 400213. Then I switched to the Stryker Red, which was ordered first day, it ends in 500216. Could you please do us a favor and see if your car is beyond "production scheduled" status? I'm wondering if any of the custom orders have begun production. Here's the link...

https://www.chrysler.com/vots/

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good perspective, I wish I had been on the forums to experience it firsthand when they released the Gen II, III, IV.

You're getting the 66th custom order, very cool! My order was input the first day of ordering, yet my S/N ended in 400213. Then I switched to the Stryker Red, which was ordered first day, it ends in 500216. Could you please do us a favor and see if your car is beyond "production scheduled" status? I'm wondering if any of the custom orders have begun production. Here's the link...

https://www.chrysler.com/vots/

Take a look back in the time machine to the Gen IV Coupe

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/572998-Yea-or-nay-vote-for-the-new-viper-coupe

lol, not much has changed - the sky was falling back then too.

Killer33

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car status is "Production scheduled". I hate to admit it but I look at it at least 3 times a day... Now 4 !

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sky actually fell when the Gen III was introduced. The change in styling was the major bone of contention. Lots of bad blood over that one, both within Chrysler and on the site. What is occuring now is very mild. I'm glad about that. Disagree with the position if you wish but don't insult the person. :headbang:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sky actually fell when the Gen III was introduced. The change in styling was the major bone of contention. Lots of bad blood over that one, both within Chrysler and on the site. What is occuring now is very mild. I'm glad about that. Disagree with the position if you wish but don't insult the person. :headbang:

So true, I remember the S2000 comparisons. Then I went to an auto show & saw it in person and was like *** are people talking about, loved it in person, but when the gen3 came out it did not photo well at all. Still arguably one of the toughest cars to get to look anywhere near as good in a pic as it does in person. I remember I even took pause based on pics alone but then the snake bit me again and I moved on from my gen2. Let's call it growing pains ... but pretty good pains to have I think.

As for the delays, I know peeps are excited, but if I had an order in, which I almost did, I'd personally be happy with a delay & knowing these babies are going to be as perfect as possible when they come, vs them pushing them out so they hit a date they announced in the media. Can't wait for the new owner pics though.

Killer33

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vietnam flashbacks for sure! I owned a '99 GTs, 2001 Rt/10 and switching to a Gen 3 was definitely a leap of faith. Bought a new Red '03 drove it for 2,000 miles then switched to a Black '03. Then Bought a Gen IV in '09 and here I am again taking a leap of faith. No regrets so far, although there have been a few times when I wished I had that darn 2001 Sapphire Blue RT/10 back. Forward charge and I guess my new car gets here when my new car gets here. Near Perfect or well looked over is a always a good thing but I also understand that first generation "anything" will come with a few growing pains. Ford GT's, C-5 Vettes, Vipers, they all had their problems in the beginning. We first time owners loved our bad kids anyway and devotion is a no sum game. Well maybe an obsession, or sickness but hey, someone has to forge the path...GUILTY!

deadman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If they go by batch of 800 then I say all 2nd wave customers may wait - well - until next year. The competition for dollars in 130k category is brutal and furthermore C7 put - IMHO - a final nail into Gen5 coffin. C7 is IMO (not starting wars please) much more complete package techno-wide and style-wide (unlike Gen5 and its front/rear styling disconnect) and if they will keep the base at $60ish I don't see many people with interest in US sportscars to spend extra 40k-70k... which will make book filling process ever so slower...

I spent 80k back in 2004 for Gen3 05 also because vette was not an option back then. Yeah, it was fun to add Motons, 3.55s, rigid mounts and Belanger and have a raw uncompromising outrages beast - back in 05. NOT today. NOT ultimate and definitely not outrages.

Not saying that Gen5 is a s%&t car,not at all. Just the demographics appeal may be different. So let's see how many 800ish batches are they going to make.

Last edited:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd buy one of each if the vette werent so fugly. killer 33...6 snakes you've owned?? woah. would LOVE to see a pic of that 01 sapphire blue...got any pics?

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I still can't warm up to the Gen III. In fact, as a Gen I owner, when I saw the Gen III in the LA autoshow, I went out and bought at Final Edition as I thought it might be the last chance I had to buy a viper I liked, new from a dealership. All of that said, I own a Gen IV, which I love. Something about the hood changes the overall look of the car to me. Owning a Gen IV can't even get me to warm up to the Gen III, no offense Gen III owners..

Anyway, I think that the Gen V looks great. I do have some minor gripes about certain things, but overall, it looks pretty fantastic. As a long time viper owner, I want to make sure that the Gen V can beat an old ZR1, that is my concern at the moment, much less what the new ZR1 that will be coming out... Maybe SRT has some tricks up it's sleeves that they are waiting to implement after the C7 ZR1 comes out. I don't want to live in this silly denial that so many people have that there is a giant conspiracy that is making the Gen V lose all of these comparisons with the vette. It seems like 45% of people here think that the sky is falling, 45% of the people think that evil GM is cheating, payed off all the rags, blah blah blah, it's Obama's fault, it's Bush's fault... Then there are the rest of us. The minority.

lxadeuce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed with this comment. If you cannot choose the right wording, do not say anything. I appreciate the passion for the new product but do not appreciate the " we have relieved ourselves of the sub-par from our past [/U]" attitude. Evolving, next generation, progressive step are terms SRT management should learn to use.
so you are telling me the dash from the 96 model vipers is not sub-par for what was a $70k car of the time?

impalassed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I waited 15 years to take delivery of my Viper.... Though that was not Dodge/SRT fault :p after touring CAAP & Prefix last week I can only add the wait is worth it. My dad worked for a TV manufacturer who's marketing slogan was "The quality goes in before the name goes on." The same ideals behind that is exactly what SRT has adopted for the Gen 5. While a G5 is not in the cards for me personally this year.... Owning a 94 I'm planning now for a 2014...it only makes sense right!?!? Hopefully all will work out! Enjoy the ride! It will arrive soon enough :cool:

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did you happen to see how many cars are built or are sitting in the holding room?

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an Exotic...:dunno: Buy a Camry for convenience...

Sorry v10e....have to disagree with this statement. In the past, the fact that the Viper was a Dodge and subsequently (supposed to be) a bit easier and friendlier to get serviced by a Dodge dealer may have pointed a prospective buyer in that direction as opposed to an import.

If the Viper is now sold and serviced by 100 dealers, then its in fact put in the same category as those 'other' hard to get worked on cars.

So this (and I am speaking from how this affect my decisions for the next car) opens the door to look closer at those other ones available, since the Viper is no longer any friendlier to get serviced.

In other words, where the Viper was somewhat in its own category previously, its now in the same one as many others. So I think the door swings both ways. SRT may be pulling some customers from other markets but I think that they will also loose some due to where they are positioning themselves.

Matt

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are over 400 Dealers signed up and paid to be SRT/Viper Dealers. Many are new and will get very few cars, but all are required to go to training, Techs must be level 4 to even be eligible for their extensive 4 day training, and it will be an annual, mandatory situation. Likely the number will drop, but there will be more , qualified Viper Dealers in the future than in the past. We went through years of Dealers just saying they were Viper Dealers, now the new SRT has put teeth in it again and training , tools , committment , will be ongoing requirements. Frankly , getting tired of the old Dodge analogy, as using this thought process Porsche is still a Volkswagen. Go to a VOI or make it to the Plant when there is a group visit. Talk to an SRT designer, engineer, etc., as we are all watching the dawning of a new era and there is a difference. Wait till you experience the car and the term exotic will no longer even seem foreign to you.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry v10e....have to disagree with this statement. In the past, the fact that the Viper was a Dodge and subsequently (supposed to be) a bit easier and friendlier to get serviced by a Dodge dealer may have pointed a prospective buyer in that direction as opposed to an import.

If the Viper is now sold and serviced by 100 dealers, then its in fact put in the same category as those 'other' hard to get worked on cars.

So this (and I am speaking from how this affect my decisions for the next car) opens the door to look closer at those other ones available, since the Viper is no longer any friendlier to get serviced.

In other words, where the Viper was somewhat in its own category previously, its now in the same one as many others. So I think the door swings both ways. SRT may be pulling some customers from other markets but I think that they will also loose some due to where they are positioning themselves.

Matt

I do think this is a valid concern and I really hope we see this shift to the better. I've had gen2,3, and 4 and in Vipers since '99. No dealer has provided me with a trusting service. I've not let anyone work on my cars in years & years, but I'm fortunate that I can do that, a DIY'er having done heads, manifolds, exhausts, superchargers, etc on my cars since the 80's. But even I, in getting a Gen5, need a dealer I can go to for warranty work if needed, and now with the car geting more sophisticated (read complicated), the DIY that's so easy on a viper may not be so easy anymore.

Hec, I went to a recommended dealer in MD right before VOI, they have 2 techs and went to the Gen5 training, they couldn't figure out how to reset my TPMS after days of working on it, although I did get some scratches as souvenirs. I mean really??? Is this who I'm to take my $110K Gen5 to? And then trust my life to my car on trackdays?? Yea, I think this needs fixing big time, unfortunately we're not all blessed to live within an hour or two of a Woodhouse, Tomball, etc dealers on here that are all awesome ... but not in the midatlantic, lol.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder what the maintenance schedules and interval will be :dunno: Some new cars don't need much for 100k miles.

Matt

impalassed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
4 on the line while I was there. Stryker Red, Bright white, Adrenaline Red, Shadow Blue w/ white stripes. Several (6-7) chassis' fairy ready to be put on the line waiting on body panels. Parked all by its lonesome next to the line was another Adrenaline Red SRT. Lastly there was another Shadow blue w white at the headlight alignment station. SRT was putting the finishing touches on the water testing station. Yes that's right these will be leak tested.... And won't leave the factory until they pass... Or is that not pass - water that is :)

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Actually the Adrenaline Red sitting all by itself in the open area was an SRT with the Track Pack option -- took some pictures of it as it is a car for one of our customers.

impalassed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah that was a very nice looking SRT! and 1000 lashes... The correct name is GTS Blue Pearl.... Can't believe I got that wrong.... :p ya see Shadow Blue Pearl with Silver Stripes and Rattler Hyper Black wheels is the combo the wife and I picked out!

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The C6 ZR1 is faster than the new Gen 5 Viper.You can bet the C7 ZR1 will be at a hole new level.Not good for Viper.Like the C7,everthing except to rear end.Hope they do some thing different with rears on the C7 ZR1..The new Vettes coming out will make people wait,esp if they are cheaper.

wirepaladin08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking about shopping for a 2014 ACR but now fear that I have neither the sophistication, IQ or income level to qualify. I wonder if I'll now be forced to sell my two Gen IV's due to my Neanderthal status? I long for the good old days when all you needed to do to buy a car was to negotiate the amount over dealer cost you were paying and writing a check.

I don't check in on the forums much these days, but I recall that when the Gen V was announced and the number of Viper dealers was being restricted there was also a not-so-subtle message being delivered to all (dealers and customers) of "no more discounting -- Gen V sales will be only at MSRP." Is that still the way it is looking? I realize that is all subject to economic conditions -- but if that's the "policy" I probably won't be in the market. Not that anyone cares, of course.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
msrp. and launch editions are way over sticker at many places. just today a local dealer indicated they had an offer of $225k for the allocation.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the VOTS, my car is listed as "Brand Name: Dodge Model: SRT Viper GTS". Guess the Dodge name isn't gone after all? For Venom V's curiosity above, my Vin 400020 is still in prod sched.