Delivery Delays

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only one can still hope for more HP, lighter weight, faster lap times. Probably not maybe just adjusting the cup holders for the "much higher income, much higher education level, sophisticated individual"

With all the hype around the 2013 SRT Viper, it might be surprising how little coverage the car’s delayed arrival is getting.
“I apologized to our dealer base,” SRT CEO Ralph Gilles said to the Detroit Free Press. “We are just holding ourselves to a higher standard.”
Delivery was originally expected to begin by the end of December, but that hasn’t turned out to be the case. Instead, the anticipated return is looking more likely to happen in mid-February.
“To say it bluntly, the old Chrysler would have shipped them out already,” Gilles said. “It’s really a hand-made car, so it takes a little finesse to get everything perfect.”
According to the Detroit newspaper, Chrysler plans to build 1,600 Vipers this year, 800 of which are already spoken for. The books are closed on the scheduled other half until February, at which point the brand will re-open registration for dealers — probably to preempt possible hiccups in selling the high-end car.
That’s likely due to the rigorous process dealers planning to sell the car need to go through. As few as 100 showrooms are expected to carry the car when the apparent production slowdowns are settled.
Dealers deciding to distribute the Viper are required to undergo certification that costs $25,000.
“The SRT cars are starting to pull in a very, very interesting demographic — much higher income, much higher education levels. The customer is becoming more sophisticated,” Gilles said last September.
That fee includes a $5,000 toolkit and a certification program that tacks on the extra $20,000 and is meant to make sure the stores in question are actually up to selling a six-figure car.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well as a guy who ordered his 08 Gen 4 in the first 5 minutes when the order window opened, only to have to wait for months past when it was promised, you just gotta say it's expected. Better to be perfect than screwed up. Let's be honest, if this thing ships with the issues we saw around the previous recalls, Gen 2 (frame) and gen 3 (steering rack), there will be no 2014 viper.

Not optimal, of course we all wanted ours by Xmas, but hand built cars have hand built problems.

I agree though, pretty shocked how no one is talking about it...

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really interesting market strategy to constantly refer to the superior build quality of the new Viper by denigrating the older generations.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably not maybe just adjusting the cup holders for the "much higher income, much higher education level, sophisticated individual"

eyeroll

They stated it was due to engine certification as I recall.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dealer (Bernie/Tomball) informed me of this news 2 weeks ago. Late Feb is the current target date.

Tony

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some dealers still have Gen 4's for sale. You know, the ones faster than yours.

Which is indicative of why SRT is trying to differentiate the Gen V from previous models - as being more luxurious. I hardly think "You can buy a brand new, 3 year old car still!" strengthens your position.

If I wanted a Gen IV, I would have bought one. Personally, upgraded interior is a selling point to me spending over $100,000 on a vehicle.

And I don't think the Gen IV is a bad vehicle - at all, I guess we will see what consumers want in a year or two.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Having been to Detroit and seen the quality of so many things ( from paint to interior finish to exterior fit), there will be some very happy new Viper owners. When one realizes there are new production techniques , new body panels and molds , why wouldn't we expect a higher level than in the past , as the Plant has evolved with new materials and build process. Like everything good in life, we expect things to get better and to reach a higher level of perfection as we move forward. That is simply what they are aiming for, with no denigration of the prior Vipers. Having seen and touched Stryker and his siblings, you will be super pleased with the new entry into our family.

Late February was the last stated time SRT released to Dealers, and many figured from the onset that December would be a trick as the Plant shuts down for the Christmas Holiday every year, and not surprisingly so do many trucking firms - folks like being home.

The car is going to blow many away ..................Prefix is doing paint that is lustrious, and the latest interiors are beyond sumptious. The wait will be worth it!!

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I do have the means to order one but not the educational background of the new and improved buyer, am I not the demographic the car it tailored to. Education and intelligence are not even close to the same, intelligent buyer might have been better wording.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one of the first orders in and Bill Pemberton has always indicated a build near the end of February.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
troublemaker:3146249 said:
So if I do have the means to order one but not the educational background of the new and improved buyer, am I not the demographic the car it tailored to. Education and intelligence are not even close to the same, intelligent buyer might have been better wording.
Agreed with this comment. If you cannot choose the right wording, do not say anything. I appreciate the passion for the new product but do not appreciate the " we have relieved ourselves of the sub-par from our past " attitude. Evolving, next generation, progressive step are terms SRT management should learn to use.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one of the first orders in and Bill Pemberton has always indicated a build near the end of February.

Jack (and others), I'm curious if you've tried Chrysler's Vehicle Order Tracking System (VOTS). If you enter your last name and VIN, it tells you your "production stage."

https://www.chrysler.com/vots/

My car is in Production Scheduled, which means they haven't started my car yet but my order has been confirmed. My order was entered 11/12/2012, which is pretty early in the ordering process. Last 6 of the VIN are 500216. So I think I'm the 216th build, after they've completed all of the Launch Editions, dealer demo cars, and red track pack cars.

If it's in Frame or beyond, they're building it currently.

Do you know your status?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lord, you all have some thin skin - reading way too much into Gilles comments.

I don't think its being thin skinned. Think, key, speak. Know what your saying. I believe the folks who work on their own vehicles tend to be more sophisticated than those with higher income that tend pay to have all of their work done and know nothing but how to turn it on and drive. Just opinion.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think its being thin skinned. Think, key, speak. Know what your saying. I believe the folks who work on their own vehicles tend to be more sophisticated than those with higher income that tend pay to have all of their work done and know nothing but how to turn it on and drive. Just opinion.

The definition of sophisticated is a tent to work under on cold rainy days. Sausage biscuits help too.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack (and others), I'm curious if you've tried Chrysler's Vehicle Order Tracking System (VOTS). If you enter your last name and VIN, it tells you your "production stage."

https://www.chrysler.com/vots/

My car is in Production Scheduled, which means they haven't started my car yet but my order has been confirmed. My order was entered 11/12/2012, which is pretty early in the ordering process. Last 6 of the VIN are 500216. So I think I'm the 216th build, after they've completed all of the Launch Editions, dealer demo cars, and red track pack cars.

If it's in Frame or beyond, they're building it currently.

Do you know your status?

I dont have a VIN but i have a VON...I tried this site but still nothing comes up yet. did your dealer give u a VON? how long after placing the order did u get a VIN?

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

any idea on how long it takes from order stage to delivery/shipping stage? 4 months is my guess? i believe they start 12 builds per day

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont have a VIN but i have a VON...I tried this site but still nothing comes up yet. did your dealer give u a VON? how long after placing the order did u get a VIN?

I looked at my records, I got the VON the day I ordered it. It took 16 days to get my VIN. The dealer may have had it in less time, but this is when he sent it to me.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that. My order has been in for about a month and that site didnt work with the VON I was given and with my name. I e-mailed my salesman last week about it when that site didnt work but havent heard back from him. I'll try again this week.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that. My order has been in for about a month and that site didnt work with the VON I was given and with my name. I e-mailed my salesman last week about it when that site didnt work but havent heard back from him. I'll try again this week.

Are you sure your dealer had an allocation?

Bill

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, only 800 spoken for outta 1600! I wonder how this compares to the release of the gen 3s which were hated and bastardized by most of us here lol...

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly the same with my order, which was originally deposited DEC 2010...Bill told me on order release, to expect a delivery somewhere between Feb-Mar. Where's the delay?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets