2013 Viper inspired 2014 Corvette

BLUEVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not been posted for awhile...but I cannot believe how the new Corvette has turned out. I have always been a Viper owner and enthusiast, but I also passively "liked" the last generation corvette as a "for the masses" nicely done and affordable (US) sports car (right behind the "super stangs") not that I ever had any inclintion to ever purchase one. But I cannot beleive how badly the new car turned out!! Talk about ripping -off other ideas!!
I just watched the video link posted on our site featuring Jay Leno and the new Corvette. First of all, when I first saw the car it looked like three cars muled together...a Viper inspired front, Camaro!!!!! rear end, and a Ferarri inspired deck (and who knows what the side is???). Then I watch the vidoe of the interior and have Jay Leno say " I love the grab rail...very European"...or better "Wow that looks just like the new Viper" should have been the tag line!

After seeing this fiasco we should all thank our lucky stars, or atleast give Ralph a big thumbs up! for the new Viper. There may be mixed feelings out there in the Viper world about the Viper being "too much like the older Viper" but one look and there is no mistaking it for anything else but a VIPER!!! I can't wait to be a Gen V Viper owner (granted I'm a convertible nut so I will have to wait a little longer..)

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sorry, but I barely see any resemblance.

And, lets be real - Chevy has been working on this thing for years. They didn't see the Viper at the auto show last year and start designing. That is preposterous.

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sorry, but I barely see any resemblance.

And, lets be real - Chevy has been working on this thing for years. They didn't see the Viper at the auto show last year and start designing. That is preposterous.

Agreed entirely! Neither side ripped the other's design off. LED lights and low slung, swoopy, angular long hoods is the characteristic that is throwing some people off and making them say that one side copied the other, and the grab bar built into the dashboard (this isnt a new feature either and was on the Pontiac Solstice as well as other cars in the past as well), but the truth of the matter is that the cars are completely different in their styling and in their overall designs and performance (at least for now).

Personally, I find the people who say, "I see (name of a make, model of a car) in the hood, rear, interior, etc....." highly annoying. Every era has it's design trends. Just look at the old muscle cars of the 60's. While many had very different individual characteristics, the overall design schemes were similar in some of their overall shapes, but with obvious differences as well. these cars were reflective of the design schemes of the time, much like many cars from the 50's had fins of some sort, and cars from the 80's were almost all very boxy and ugly, etc..... So will you be able to find some similarities in some cars to each other in some new designs? Absolutely, but they are almost entirely that way only because of general design trends, and not because of copying each other, unless we're talking about Hyundai who seems to make hybridized copies of other luxury car brands these days.....

F

FrgMstr

Personally, I find the people who say, "I see (name of a make, model of a car) in the hood, rear, interior, etc....." highly annoying.

And add to that most if not nearly all badges and emblems are held on with glue now days, those are easy to get rid of with a couple hours of beer time in the garage.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What really happened was someone from GM sneaked into SRT HQ during the design phase of the new Viper and took pictures of all the schematics. Yeah.. that's probably, exactly what happened.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, SRT did bring in a number of other high end car owners from Astons to Ferrari to Lambourghini to Porsche, etc. as focus groups very early on in the process as they wanted a new GEN V car that would appeal to a larger demograph of buyers. Do you think those guys don't also own a vette or two and well I am sure Vette did something similar for focus groups on this C7. We can probably thank some silver spooned trust fund kid out there for the similarities.

Truthfully though, the styling cues, or trends be that as they may, the new C7 does have some similarities to Viper from the front and the side scoop on the side is a rip off in it's angle, etc. from the GEN III Vipers as well as the GTR.

Sorry but this new C7 is a dog's breakfast of ripped off styling cues from most every other car out there. There is nothing original in what they have done here. I can stomache the front, the top, even the side, but that rear end takes the cake for ugly beyond repair. The sad thing is GM had a chance to really make something out of this car and make it a classic. This version will just never make that status. I agree, it will forever be the XLR Vette and it's style will become old very fast, just as modern styled homes are cool for a few years and then look so dated you date yourself just owning it. The new Viper, while it may look dated from the old car style 20 years ago, but it is more like someone who designs their house in a Rustic style. It never looks too dated and well only needs a little here or there to freshen the look. The Porsche 911 is built on this philosophy.

The C7 is just not what it should have been. I cannot for the life of me, see what some of the positive posters see in it. And I am not a Vette hater by any means. I just really dislike this new version.

Last edited:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, according to the design timeline of SRT, the C7 was probably in it's final design approval while SRT was still modeling clay. lol

I agree, give Ralph and the boys/girls a thumbs up.

Everything, I don't get it. I see no Viper resemblance at all in the C7, you can snip parts of all kinds of angles of cars & compare them, I mena the gen3 was compared to the Honda S2000.

To me if it had no badges and I didn't know what it was, I'd guess the C7 was a new Lotus model, or a new lower-end Ferrari model. To me it doesn't look American (for whatever that means these days) & sure doesn't look Vette. But hey, I love it. In the right color I'd be in to one for a DD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper