The Art of Viper Painting

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that is great! I love the fact that the gen V is opening a new door to what goes into making a Viper. There's so much cool stuff that goes into building one. I love the fact that it's people, not robots, that paint the car. It's amazing. It's a shame most mass produced cars still couldn't be made this way. I wonder if there was more quality control and craftsmanship that went into mass produced cars as low volume ones, there would be less issues.

--RS

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that is great! I love the fact that the gen V is opening a new door to what goes into making a Viper. There's so much cool stuff that goes into building one. I love the fact that it's people, not robots, that paint the car. It's amazing. It's a shame most mass produced cars still couldn't be made this way. I wonder if there was more quality control and craftsmanship that went into mass produced cars as low volume ones, there would be less issues.

--RS

Agreed, hand-built. Hand-painted. Designed in the USA. Reasons why Vipers have always been, and still are absolutely unique and special American super cars.

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to tour Prefix, back when they were doing very small quantites. Extremely impressive facility and total top notch operation. Seemingly no expense spared when they tooled up that old Kmart.

Definitely something to brag about!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The new Plant is absolutely phenomenal. Expect to see a write up in the future in Viper magazine. Having seen numerous places the Viper panels were painted in the past, I can unequivocably state that the new Prefix facility is the best ever. Instead of trying to match panels sprayed on different days, the geniuses there built bucks to paint the entire body panels in one fell swoop. The paint quality and attention to detail is far beyond even when Saleen was doing the process. You can expect to be awed and pleased when the new machines come out, and I would estimate orange peel will be only a term used when you are eating a Cutie mandarin, ha.

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will they do costum paint?

Eric Zeile said on the tour that they will try and entertain inquiries as they come along, but I think it will be done differently than the current production line. It would be done at a different facility, different people... etc. They would not interrupt the current production I don't think! They do 'custom' work on Vipers today IIRC...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave