Tail of the Dragon 2013 and Other AL/TN Events

CBR-ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joel/Chip, just a simple suggestion, when you plan the route for Friday, can we avoid that gravel road we took last year heading to that Shell Station? Thanks!

OP
OP
J

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I guess the Viper Rallye in the Weeds Offroad Bash we had planned is not your cup of tea? I guess if was raining so hard last year I couldn't see the gravel or maybe we missed that turn altogether. Actually, it is pretty hard to plan for all folks meeting up at a certain time coming from different directions and we have tried to meet folks from both north and south ends of I-75. Chip and company have usually spent the night in Knoxville Thursday night so as to be ready for the TOD assault on Friday but that doesn't fit all schedules. We have heard from lots of folks who are coming in earlier than Friday and we have asked the hotel to extend the "special" rates. We'll do the best we can to accomodate folks coming in as I know some of the Carolina folks are coming from the east. I think we have Gatlinburg pretty well surrounded!! Please stay tuned and if you need info please let us know.

Joel/Chip, just a simple suggestion, when you plan the route for Friday, can we avoid that gravel road we took last year heading to that Shell Station? Thanks!

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(I know we all joked around about 3-ways and mistresses and "Traci" and "Victoria", but I think that the URL that GoogleMaps gave me is a bit....personal.
Is Google stalking me?)

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(I know we all joked around about 3-ways and mistresses and "Traci" and "Victoria", but I think that the URL that GoogleMaps gave me is a bit....personal.
Is Google stalking me?)

Yes. I think so (esp. after the FB check-in from the uh, Gentlemens Club :D) Hilarious...3fux2

Wayne,
It's the CB exit 373? Campbell Sta Rd. We usually go up Thurs eve to avoid leaving at 5am. Keep me posted and we'll grab a few more cars and drive in together.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So maybe we all could meet at a central spot later in the day, but the early group can still start at the ******* Barrel? I should be there thursday and plan to go to the CB, so those who want an early start, post up.

For the big Friday reunion, how about all groups meet up at Deals gap at 3 or 4PM?

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chip, My wife says I have to buy her another conv C6 vette(sold hers 2years ago) if I want to go on this trip with ya'll that way our 2yr old can go too. So if I go this will be one expensive trip lol.
Id prob just hook up with you there close to your house and tag along thur. Where you gonna stay Thur night?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It'll be very worth it. If you've never come to event with 40-50 Vipers and 75+owners, well, you get the idea. Most wives/girlfriends, etc have just as much fun too. It's not ALL about HP/fumes/twisties. Lots of socializing as well. We usually stay at the CB exit. I'll get all the info and post it w/i next few weeks.

OP
OP
J

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We went today to finalize all about accomodations and the eateries. Hotel remodelling coming along well. Parking for cars and trailers will not be a problem. Will post a schedule and agenda next week. The hotel has 10 rooms left and can help us with more. If you are thinking about going, please make a reservation as rooms will fill up. Please stay tuned for more information. Thanks Chip for sharing what your plans are to meet in Knoxville. We will probably meet a group to the south outside of Cleveland at 10-10:30 or so.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've made my reservation! This will be my first time to TOD. Okay, so my wife wants to go but has the potential of getting car sick with twisty roads. I KNOW, I KNOW, leave her at home. :D Besides that, if I hang with the "moderate" group, how bad is it? Anyone have any experience if Dramamine will typically do the trick?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There ain't no "leave her at home" in this bunch. I bet she wouldn't get nauseous if SHE drove. So....have her drive it.
Depends on your definition of "moderate". :D

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've made my reservation! This will be my first time to TOD. Okay, so my wife wants to go but has the potential of getting car sick with twisty roads. I KNOW, I KNOW, leave her at home. :D Besides that, if I hang with the "moderate" group, how bad is it? Anyone have any experience if Dramamine will typically do the trick?
You, and the wife, will have a blast!

You don't have to go with any particular group. Just travel at your own speed and whatever you're comfortable with. There are enough 'pit stops' throughout the weekend that if someone wants to be in front of you, they'll ask, or just make sure to get in line "before that f'ing guy". LOL
If you want to know who rolls with which group, just ask Chip, Brent, or myself. We'll try to point out the scary guys (like Scott, Mike, and Matt...heh heh) so you can avoid nuzzling up with them. :)

It's NOT a race. There is no winner.
Only losers: those that cross over the double yellow! :nono:
Be safe, and have fun. That's the entire point of the trip.

And, don't let Chip's wife (or her twin sister) fool you! They *both* have the Driver Mod!!!

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hotel info for THursday eve if anyone wants to stay at ******* Barrel exit.

Comfort Suites Knoxville - West
811 North Campbell Station Road
Knoxville, TN 37932
(865) 675-7585

$129 queens, $119 Kings. includes b-fast. 10 rooms needed for group rate. probably only be 3 or 4. but, they do have availability.

It's opposite side of I-40 from CB. exit 373.
We've stayed here the last couple of times. Pretty decent place.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK I just reserved my room at Comfort Suites for Thur night and GreyStone for Fri & Sat. Cant wait to see everyone!!!

Chip what time do I meet up with you at Kingston Springs???

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK I just reserved my room at Comfort Suites for Thur night and GreyStone for Fri & Sat. Cant wait to see everyone!!!

Chip what time do I meet up with you at Kingston Springs???

Probably won't know that til that week. We'll get it all figured out in plenty of time though. Now i need to go book my rooms too :omg:

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be leaving from Gburg Friday morning to head to the CB if any others want to caravan out there.
Yes. I think so (esp. after the FB check-in from the uh, Gentlemens Club :D) Hilarious...3fux2

Wayne,
It's the CB exit 373? Campbell Sta Rd. We usually go up Thurs eve to avoid leaving at 5am. Keep me posted and we'll grab a few more cars and drive in together.

OP
OP
J

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Schedule for Gatlinburg

OK here is where we are now with our Gatlinburg Gathering aka the Tail of the Dragon Thrashing
Some rooms still available and the hotel says they will assign more if need be - call soon!

Friday – Meeting North I-75 around 10 am EST, drive TOD, go to hotel in afternoon. South I-75 will meet around 12:00 EST. Lunch in and around Tellico Plains then on to Cherohala Skyway and Tail of the Dragon.
Meet and greet Crystelle Creek – 5:00 pm, Dinner around 6:30
Saturday – Cruises starting around 10 am– Cades Cove, Area Cruise, or on your own Back at hotel by 4:00 pm. Parade at 6:15 pm Dinner at Cherokee Grill afterwards around 6:40 pm
Sunday – Time for breakfasting, visiting, or travel home

Gatlinburg Numbers
Greystone Lodge 559 Parkway Gatlinburg, TN 37738 (800) 451-9202
Crystelle Creek 1654 East Parkway Gatlinburg, TN 37738
Website (Check it out!) http://www.crystellecreek.com/#
Meeting in Knoxville Thursday? The Comfort Suites Knoxville – West, 811 North Campbell Station Road
Knoxville, TN 37932 (865) 675-7585

If you want a T-shirt(s) please let me know so we can order enough and the right size.
Email info to: [email protected]

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be leaving from Gburg Friday morning to head to the CB if any others want to caravan out there.
I'll be at the Greystone on Thurs. evening, so I'll caravan over with ya on Friday AM.

If anyone else would like to join, feel free to call or text: 614 five nine six 9336
GMRS radio will be on Ch. 10 all weekend. :)

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be driving down the parkway [same as last year], but not sure where I will be staying Thursday night yet.

CBR-ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also will be arriving Thursday in Gatlinburg to make the trip over to Knoxville Friday morning. Looking forward to seeing you all.

Stan Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reservation made at Greystone for Friday night and Saturday night! Cheryl and I are attending rain or shine. :drive: If it rains, we have a backup plan to attend in Cheryl's SRT. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth